Bomb Number 6, Propeller and Boot Knife

ScubaDetective

In Memory Of
Forum Supporter
Got out to Poor Man's Beach today to get my normal fix of bullets and shell casings. Also a few coins. An interesting find is what is left of a single blade knife with the handle shaped like a boot.

However my best find is another WW1 bomb from 1916 0r 1917. The good news is I brought up part of it. The bad news is it is so deep bringing up the rest of it might be too much of a challenge. I got a bell tone and started digging, and digging and digging. After I got through the sand I was digging in the clay. I could feel the fins so I knew I had a bomb. I dug down over two foot and was able to pull up the fin assembly. The rest of the bomb is still there and I marked it with my GPS. I will have to dig in the clay 3 more feet to get it out but I am sure it will be in wonderful shape. It went straight down and it is unbelievable how deep it is. No idea if I will ever be able to dig it out with a shovel but I am going to try. It is in 6' of water. I spent a lot of air trying to dig the whole thing out. It is going to be a chore.

Boot knife is unique and so is the little brass propeller. I probably should have searched for more gold instead of playing with a bomb but I enjoy finding those things. This is the deepest one I have ever come across.

I went to start my boat and the bendix drive on the starter would not engage. Had to be towed in by Towboat US. Haven't had a problem like that in years. Glad I have insurance.

This is what the whole thing looks like. 39" long. These were close to the top. This one buried in clay should be in fantastic shape. I pulled most the fins out of the clay and didn't get to dig much further. I did dig down further to verify the rest of the bomb was there. Wish I had a backhoe mounted on my boat!

Are you not worried that they'll explode?? (Are they still live?)

They have all been practice bombs. Not sure on this one as I haven't got it all out yet. First one I called 911 on and after three police agencies came out it was destroyed and I was told I could keep it. This one is number 6. They are Mark 1 100lb bombs and I am sure this one is a practice one also. Only way to verify that is dig it out. They only had black powder in them so if it was live it wouldn't explode since it would be soaked.

I LOVE these things! if I get this one out it will probably be my best one. Will know after it is dug. Stay tuned!

They have all been practice bombs. Not sure on this one as I haven't got it all out yet. First one I called 911 on and after three police agencies came out it was destroyed and I was told I could keep it. This one is number 6. They are Mark 1 100lb bombs and I am sure this one is a practice one also. Only way to verify that is dig it out. They only had black powder in them so if it was live it wouldn't explode since it would be soaked.

I LOVE these things! if I get this one out it will probably be my best one. Will know after it is dug. Stay tuned!

Yeah, I would definitely like to see a photo of it once you've recovered it! :)

Nice score on finding that training bomb SD :yes: well worth the effort and air to recover it.
If I saw a bomb in the water over here I'd be out of there real quick :lol:

Nice finds! The bomb is a crazy prize.

Last week right after Irma I found this .50 caliber round deep down in Fernandina Beach. No idea how it got there. Apparently it spent some time on the ocean bottom. Also found a port hole.

Attachments

• IMG_2372.jpg
    IMG_2372.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 527
  • IMG_2388.jpg
    IMG_2388.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 478
  • IMG_2370.jpg
    IMG_2370.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 466
... I probably should have searched for more gold instead of playing with a bomb but I enjoy finding those things. ...

That line made me laugh out loud for some reason :laughing::lol:

Nice finds, that knife is very, very cool. When I read "boot knife" in your title I was thinking a boot knife, not a boot shaped knife.

I own that same knife. Have had it all my life. I am 64 and my uncle gave it to me when I was a child.

I thought black powder was still explosive once it dried out again? Not sure where I heard that though. I used to dig the MK 23 practice bombs (a lot smaller than the ones you are "digging"). After awhile I just started avoiding them.

I thought black powder was still explosive once it dried out again? Not sure where I heard that though. I used to dig the MK 23 practice bombs (a lot smaller than the ones you are "digging"). After awhile I just started avoiding them.

You are right, After any gunpowder dries out it is violate and dangerous. There is none in these practice bombs. IF this one isn't a practice bomb I will wash the wet powder out of it, or call the bomb squad like we did on the first one.

Bombs Away. I remember that bomb squad post you made years ago.
Like the boot knife,kool!
DL

Yep. You can still google Port Huron Bomb and the story still comes up. Funny but it is all one sided.

Back
Top Bottom