Another seated!

MikeInMcKinney

Today I met another forum member, steveg, at the park in Oklahoma where I found the two seateds last Tuesday. Within an hour at the most I managed to dig up another seated dime! It was right next to a tree in the roots about 3 1/2 feet away from the walk path in hard packed rocky dirt. The signal was a penny signal. It sounded like a penny and also read as a penny. It rang up as 07-28. I called Steve over to check it out. I almost didn't, because it was only about three or 4 inches deep and didn't sound like silver. But he came over and listened to it and watched me dig it. When it first came out of the hole we saw the back, which was completely slick with no details. Turned it over and saw someone sitting on my dime! 1883. The only thing else I found besides trash was a 1944 wheat. That park is tough!
Thanks for coming out Steve. Nice to meet you. Let's do it again sometime.!

Attachments

• IMG_3625.jpg
    IMG_3625.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 475
  • IMG_3628.jpg
    IMG_3628.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 472
Great to meet you also, Mike -- thanks for inviting me, and allowing me to tag along! I really enjoyed it, and I look forward to doing it again!

That coin dig was so much fun -- glad we both got to listen to it before it was dug. Just amazing that you dug three Seated coins from this park in less than a week. Almost as amazing, is that this was the only silver coin dug today between the two of us, in over 7 hours of hunting!

GREAT job, Mike! Super coin!

I managed two wheats at another park prior to this one earlier this morning, and then two at this park, '45-D and '20-D. I also dug an interesting token -- anyone have any ideas on the ID?

Token_obverse_9-15-17_smaller.jpg

Token_reverse_9-15-17_smaller.jpg

Whew that is beat! Congrats on a rare find though.

Haha. Beat to death! The back is slick with no details. I believe the reason these coins were left behind in this otherwise pretty hunted out park is because they are so worn that they read as zinc/Indian signals. Lower than what most hunters are looking for. That's my guess. This dime today and other two from Tuesday were not deep or difficult signals.

You have found (2) 1883 Seated dimes there. I have only ever found 1 Seated dime. Check this baby out...1883!!:lol: You and the Stevester are on FIRE! Pretty silly how a long drive and a long day over a stupid dime is SO worth it isn't it? I'd do it right now if I knew where that damn dime was...:digginahole:

Attachments

• IMG_0036.jpg
    IMG_0036.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 323
You have found (2) 1883 Seated dimes there. I have only ever found 1 Seated dime. Check this baby out...1883!!:lol: You and the Stevester are on FIRE! Pretty silly how a long drive and a long day over a stupid dime is SO worth it isn't it? I'd do it right now if I knew where that damn dime was...:digginahole:

IDXMonster -- You are so right. It's sick, if you think about it. Pull out a $10 spot, go to ebay, and you can buy 1883 Seated dimes in "about good" condition all day long. But, somehow, we are willing to drive two hours, and swing a heavy machine all day long, bending down and standing up countless times to the point of sore knees and achy muscles, and that same 1883 Seated dime brings a smile to our faces and a feeling of accomplishment that makes us say "it was worth it." We must look like sickos to the rest of the world...

:laughing: :lol:

IDXMonster -- You are so right. It's sick, if you think about it. Pull out a $10 spot, go to ebay, and you can buy 1883 Seated dimes in "about good" condition all day long. But, somehow, we are willing to drive two hours, and swing a heavy machine all day long, bending down and standing up countless times to the point of sore knees and achy muscles, and that same 1883 Seated dime brings a smile to our faces and a feeling of accomplishment that makes us say "it was worth it." We must look like sickos to the rest of the world...

The guys who do it are "true hunters". Constantly pitting ourselves and the skills we've developed within every aspect of this hobby to go find what we are looking for...to find success is to validate ourselves as top level hunters. While clad hunting is a level in the hobby, it doesn't require the skills that old coin hunting does. There is so much more to it...
I hope you guys find that the park you're working has only begun to start barfing old coins!:grin:

IDX -- yep, I agree with you. It's the challenge that keeps us going! And the reward is something special, IMO!

As for the park, I don't think it will be "barfing up a bunch more old coins!" :laughing:

I can't think of the last time I worked so hard, for so few deep, decent signals. This is one HEAVILY hunted park. Sure, there are more coins there, but the detectable ones are truly few and far in between, unfortunately.

Very nice finds guys! :cheers:

Very true, but if you go to eBay and buy a coin, you know exactly what you're getting. That's no fun. As detectorists, we never know what will pop out of the ground next. Its almost like opening a surprise Christmas gift with every good signal. Could be a pair of ugly socks (zinc penny) from your weird cousin, or could be a $200 gift card (Seated half) from your wealthy uncle. Ya just never know. Plus, there's something special about being the first person to touch a coin/relic since it was lost 100+ years ago. Makes you sit and wonder how it got there.
Its the thrill of the hunt. You can't buy that on eBay. :cheers:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very nice finds guys! :cheers:

Very true, but if you go to eBay and buy a coin, you know exactly what you're getting. That's no fun. As detectorists, we never know what will pop out of the ground next. Its almost like opening a surprise Christmas gift with every good signal. Could be a pair of ugly socks (zinc penny) from your weird cousin, or could be a $200 gift card (Seated half) from your wealthy uncle. Ya just never know. Plus, there's something special about being the first person to touch a coin/relic since it was lost 100+ years ago. Makes you sit and wonder how it got there.
Its the thrill of the hunt. You can't buy that on eBay. :cheers:

Oh, I TOTALLY agree with you, rattlehead. I was just looking at it from the eyes of someone who doesn't understand why we do what we do...

I am totally with you. It is like Christmas on every dig, for sure!

Steve

Oh, I TOTALLY agree with you, rattlehead. I was just looking at it from the eyes of someone who doesn't understand why we do what we do...

I am totally with you. It is like Christmas on every dig, for sure!

Steve

I knew what you were saying and that you feel the same way. :) Was just following up with the answer for why we do what we do in case any newbies to the hobby stumble onto this thread.
I've actually had one of my friends say something like "why not just go buy some coins and save yourself the trouble?". I told him the same thing that I posted above. :cheers:

Back
Top Bottom