Question about farm

MikeBionca

I just gained permission to go on a very old farm in Freetown mass with tons of land and forest. I have searched in sparaticly found 2 IH heads but that is it.. My question is where would be the best areas? in the fields or in the woods? there are tons of stone walls out there in the woods but the two IH heads were near the fields.

We would likely need more information regarding the layout and history of the site to really be of help. However, here are some tips -
Look for signs of old buildings, barns, outhouses etc...
If a house was there...figure out where the back kitchen/bedroom window faced, then look for landmarks such as a wall, well, outhouse etc... that would be where the buried 'bank' would be (if it existed).
Clothesline posts
And...as you mentioned, rock walls...
Good luck, RickO

Farm goes back to the 1700's, The woods have tons of rock walls, but do not seem to have a foundations or anything just really old rock walls that go in a square. The owner of the farm said there are foundations there but I havn't yet located any. On the farm its self its mostly all fields. went around the old barn found mostly trash. The woods go directly into the forest I am thinking its better to go in there along all the walls? Going to go there this weekend and try to spot foundations

The cellar holes (foundations) may be so old as to leave nothing more than depressions.... with all the leaves it may be difficult to spot. They are there... just a matter of finding them. After the first one, it will become easier. HH RickO

See if you can find the old well for the farm, there would be alot of stuff around there because they used the well probably several times a day. Plus if there was a old house there it would not be far from the well..I don't know how old the farmer's house is but if you stay as close to his house as possible you would find stuff there too.good luck HH...john

Try checking at library for old plat maps or at sanborn maps. Anyway have fun and happy hunting.

Well, one place I would suggest is to go along both sides of the old stone walls. People resting along the stone walls were apt to lose things from their pockets. It's worth a check;) steve

Thanks for all the helpful tips ... Ill be heading there this weekend hopfully with some good finds.

Dig in all metal mode when you start finding Iron you may be near an old barn or house. Give it a try and see how it works out. Ice

Just head to some of those old areas and start detecting! Dig all non ferrous items and the good stuff will come. Sounds like you got a really good spot to find some really good stuff. Wish you luck.

A lot of great advice there Mike....
I know you're fighting the weather right now..... but "if" you don't have a time limit on your permission..... it sounds like you have a great site there.... and can't wait to start finding some good stuff.....

IF it were me.... I would go to the site and take an over all photo of it, maybe two or three even....
Then I'd make a rough sketch of the area....

The first thing I'd want to do is find those old foundations.... mark them on your sketch...
Also keep track, on your sketch, of the places you hunted and maybe note on another sheet of paper what you found where.....

When you're home, and can't hunt, you can match up the photos with the sketch and figure out where you want to look the next time you go.... sounds like a lot of work... but if you can go back when ever you want.... doing some research when you can't get out to hunt, and using the photos and your sketch, you should be able to pretty much cover that whole area without missing anything, and going in circles....

Take your time.... the more you rush it, the more you're going to miss..... just my thoughts....

Old Farm

Mike,

Hit the fields (especially after a rain and they have been plowed or disk up) Look for shards of pottery or glass or bits and pieces of bricks. Run in "all metal" mode and look for square nails. Square nails were used before 1900's. Look for cedar trees, especially those is threes, the sign of the trinity. They would more than likely be on the north side of the house for wind break in the winter. Water - you won't like find a house place without water close by, a well, a creek, or a river. They didn't haul water in those days. Lots of houses were simply built on rock pillars that were stacked to level the house. So loose stones or rocks (flat ones) that you find that seem to be out of place are likely to be a house foundation. In the spring look of yellow or white flowers, like daffodils. Also rose bushes and iris come up every year. If they seem out of place now, they probably not back then. Probably the flower bed in front of the house. Your stone walls were fences back then. They had to pick up the rocks out the fields to plow them anyway, and they lasted a lot longer than a wooden fence. Besides the wood needed to be used for heat and cooking fuel. As already mentioned – large trees. These were probably shade trees and were usually on the west side of house to block the hot summer sun.

just my 2 cents,
Cuniagau

Luckily I have permission too go there whenever I want. I found out it is a historic site also. I really need to mark this out the site is huge. You can see the farm and how it goes into the woods. I am going to make some sketches and such so I know where I already hit.

Mike,

Hit the fields (especially after a rain and they have been plowed or disk up) Look for shards of pottery or glass or bits and pieces of bricks. Run in "all metal" mode and look for square nails. Square nails were used before 1900's. Look for cedar trees, especially those is threes, the sign of the trinity. They would more than likely be on the north side of the house for wind break in the winter. Water - you won't like find a house place without water close by, a well, a creek, or a river. They didn't haul water in those days. Lots of houses were simply built on rock pillars that were stacked to level the house. So loose stones or rocks (flat ones) that you find that seem to be out of place are likely to be a house foundation. In the spring look of yellow or white flowers, like daffodils. Also rose bushes and iris come up every year. If they seem out of place now, they probably not back then. Probably the flower bed in front of the house. Your stone walls were fences back then. They had to pick up the rocks out the fields to plow them anyway, and they lasted a lot longer than a wooden fence. Besides the wood needed to be used for heat and cooking fuel. As already mentioned – large trees. These were probably shade trees and were usually on the west side of house to block the hot summer sun.

just my 2 cents,
Cuniagau
There is a small stream that runs right through the property in the woods Ill have to look around there. Also there are random piles of rock everywhere some were quite huge. Also on the property there is a cemetary dating around the 1800's(I do not hunt them) just shows how old the area is.

Back
Top Bottom