Newbie Question

Sford13

Okay I am new and will be mostly coin shooting to start with. With some relic hunting thorwn in for good measure. The detector is showing up Wednesday and I am trying to figure out what all I need to take with me besides the detector. Obviously I will need something to dig the items out of the ground and something to put them in. But that is where I want to find out from others what works best for them. Should I do more a pouch type thing or a bucket with the tools and such. Just looking for a basic equipment list. Thanks in advance for your input.

If i am hunting in a field i have a SMALL shovel. If im hunting in a yard i have a small digger that i bought at Target. Fiscar i think is the brand and has a lifetime garrentee. You will also need a pouch. I use a fanny pack. They seem to work great. You dont need to spend a fortune but if you buy real cheap you will be replacing very fast. Hope this helps!! Happy hunting

For storing finds I use a fishing vest. It has large pockets on both sides, trash in one pocket and goodies in the other.

Good luck.:cool:

bootmud

I have always considered headphones an essential. They serve many purposes (foremost being letting you hear the deep targets, but also keeping your ears warm and you don't attract unnecessary attention due to the beeping). Good luck with your first hunt!!
Dave

I use a carpenter type belt with the big pouches to carry my trash, good stuff, digger, towel, pinpointer, etc... . If I go in the woods I bring my folding military style shovel with me that I hang from the hammer loop in the belt.
I bought the belt at Home Depot for $10, it's made out of black canvas, and at $10 it was a very good buy.
Flapjack

Digging tool, knee pads, pouches for treasure and junk, pinpointer, water, cloth/container for dirt (makes filling holes easier), notebook for salient facts of the finds and hunt. RickO

I have a fanny pouch. Attached to it i have a fiscur digger in a sheth with a earth magnet attached at the top of the blade. I just pop my metal medium trial to that. I use the sunray probe an inline probe. Cuts down on digging big holes, makes changeing coils easier, and i dont get the feed back like i do with a hand held one. You are asking for a real challenge between coin and relic hunting hope you have a good disc machine. For relic hunting ... take that shovel and get with someone who knows how.

Okay I am new and will be mostly coin shooting to start with. With some relic hunting thorwn in for good measure. The detector is showing up Wednesday and I am trying to figure out what all I need to take with me besides the detector. Obviously I will need something to dig the items out of the ground and something to put them in. But that is where I want to find out from others what works best for them. Should I do more a pouch type thing or a bucket with the tools and such. Just looking for a basic equipment list. Thanks in advance for your input.

Check Carol and Vlads tip site out... it should help you, it helped me ;)

http://gometaldetecting.com/tips-beginner.html

I bought a Lesche digger and absolutely love it. I would not go out without it. The spade I bought at Lowes lasted about a week. The Lesche though is still as perfect as the day I bought it. A pinpointer is also very nice if you decide to buy one. As for a pouch, I have not bought one yet. I fill up my pockets. One side trash and the other for goodies. My wife is complaining about all the dirt in my pockets, so, I am also interested in what type of pouches others are using.

I use a good "old-fashioned" cloth nail apron. Actually ... I have a case of them left over from a construction project several years ago. It has long strings and will tie around anything ... which comes in handy this time of year (as I am digging in my hunting overalls most days). Trash on one side and coins on the other. I also bought an inexpensive pinpointer ... which has been a lifesaver getting on to coins in the hole. I bought a Lesche digging tool here and I absolutely love it. Heavy duty.

Also ... take an old t-shirt. As you take dirt from the hole and scan it with your detector, just pile it on the t-shirt. Then, when you've found your target, it makes it so easy to get all of the dirt back into the hole.

I have the following: a tool belt, Lesche digger, Bullseye pinpointer, and knee pads.

I take with me headphones, a baseball cap, a "roofer's" nail bag for holding my tools and finds, an inexpensive Fiskars digger from Target, and a long screw driver that serves as a probe. Oh, and I also take those roll-up cutting boards made from thin plastic. The nail bag was about $10-12 at home depot. The digger was on sale for $7... it works, but it doesnt cut the sod as well as I'd like- sometimes it mangles it. The screw driver was just one I had laying around, and the cutting boards I use to put dirt on so that I can make sure it all goes back into the hole. Lastly, I would recommend gloves- I've dug bottle caps with the necks still attached, and I got lucky that I didnt get cut. Oh, and I have found an old hypodermic needle before too.

Back
Top Bottom