Twelve years in a row...

bruinvikes

Elite Member
...I get myself into poison ivy or poison oak. I don't think that I got into while detecting. I was clearing out some brush along the creek yesterday and I believe that's where I got it from. I break out bad every time I get into it. Usually my face swells up, which is happening right now. I don't understand how some people get it and some don't. My wife could eat the stuff and it doesn't faze her one bit but I swell up like I've been stung by an army of bees.

Dang, me too...

But..

I can spot it from a mile away, on a moonless foggy night though...

It can take on many growth forms, I'll have to school you up on Rhus Toxicodrendron, next time we hunt an old park...

No poison oak this side of the Mississippi...

<°)))>{

Just some FYI to share...

...I made mention of my misfortune of poison ivy on Facebook and I had a friend that suggested I use apple cider vinegar on the rash. I decided to give it a try and almost instantly I felt some relief.

I'm not kidding, nor suggesting this...

I rough up my rash with some 60 grit, then a thorough quenching of Clorox bleach, as a way to mitigate the spreading of the oils... Works for me anyway..

The oil can persist on gloves and tools for up to a year..

Benadryl spray has helped me get some sleep in the past..

Edit.. My wife just reminded me, use lestoil or Murphy's oil soap for laundry...

<°)))>{

I have a great fear of the poison oak here, have practically swam in it on occasion and thankfully have never got it. Hate ticks more though.... does Tecnu stuff work or do you get steroids from the doc?

The bleach trick by Ice reminded me of my grandmas remedy for burn blisters, dip your burn into bleach to prevent a blister.

I have a great fear of the poison oak here, have practically swam in it on occasion and thankfully have never got it. Hate ticks more though.... does Tecnu stuff work or do you get steroids from the doc?

Tecnue is skin cleaner, not a treatment, I haven't dealt with it in a long time...

The only time I would get it in the past was when I just had to man up and cut it, along with the tree work being performed..

Good identification skills of the different forms is key to not getting it in the future. When I got it, I at least knew it was coming and took my best measures.. But 2 out of 5 people are immune, they can actually be a hindrance.. They don't look out for it, and can pass it to you through tools, and truck seats and such too..

<°)))>{

I rough up my rash with some 60 grit, then a thorough quenching of Clorox bleach, as a way to mitigate the spreading of the oils... Works for me anyway..

Edit.. My wife just reminded me, use lestoil or Murphy's oil soap for laundry...

<°)))>{

As I've gotten older , it doesn't bother me that bad. But when I was younger it could get pretty rough, as I was always in the woods scoutin' around. I used to do the same , scratch it up good , bust them blisters open and I'd douse it with rubbing alcohol. That usually dried it up. But I wouldn't recommend that if its on your face. Good luck.

The last time i got it, many years ago thank goodness, i bought some product at the pharmacy that helped alot. Basically felt like rubbing it with a slush of epsom salts, felt SO good, and then running it under hot water, worked great and dried it up very quickly.

<°)))>{

Do you suggest a belt or disc sander? Or should I just fire up the sandblaster? :laughing::laughing::laughing:

But 2 out of 5 people are immune, they can actually be a hindrance.

<°)))>{

I swear, my wife could eat the poison ivy and it doesn't affect her at all. Funny little story since you stated this...

...one year I had it so bad that my face had swollen so bad that one of my eyes was swollen shut so I went to the ER and while there the nurse acts me if iiI am allergic anything and I jokingly said "nothing but poison ivy". The nurse replied "everyone is". I told her that she was wrong and went on telling her about my wife. The nurse actually got mad and started heading arguing with me over it. SMH

I've always been the outdoors type, and I've always worked outdoors. I can sit in the stuff and not become infected. The one time I thought I had poison ivy, I let it run it's course, not good, as it was a case of the shingles, I waited too long, how was I supposed to know? :no:

I really have to be rolling in it to have a problem and even then I don't get it bad.

Be very careful burning brush. I know someone who damn near died from burning a brush pile full of poison ivy.

Dang, me too...

But..

I can spot it from a mile away, on a moonless foggy night though...

It can take on many growth forms, I'll have to school you up on Rhus Toxicodrendron, next time we hunt an old park...

No poison oak this side of the Mississippi...

<°)))>{

I'm sure you've had to slog through your share of the PI when you were walking those power line cuts huh? What about poison sumac? ever seen any of that on your travels?

Could be worse. Saturday nite pulled 6 tics off my 6 year old granddaughter . She was freaked !

Get some tecnu - it works for me even if the rash has already started. About a month ago I detected in the woods with short sleeves. A couple days later had the rash on both forearms. Itching pretty bad. Applied tecnu to both arms, rubbed it in for two minutes, then rinsed off with warm water. Completely stopped itching, never itched again. I don't work for the company, but this stuff works! Get some.

I have a ton of that stuff growing along my fence line mixed in with honeysuckle vines, grapes, blackberries and who knows what else. I can bruch up against it without any issues but when I break out the shears to start whacking the stuff back and picking it up to cart away it get me. My arms will flare up and I'm off the the Little Clinic for my predisone pack. Apple cider vinegar does work pretty well for taking the burn out.

Some people get it and some people do not for the very same reason some people are allergic to grass/weeds/trees, and others are not.

I'm sure you've had to slog through your share of the PI when you were walking those power line cuts huh? What about poison sumac? ever seen any of that on your travels?

Never seen poison sumac in person...

It's supposed to be around here, but is supposed to only exist in the wettest, lowest, swampy brush ridden areas.. I've never had a reason to look for it, I always try to keep higher ground...

A big buck seeker might want to try to find it if they've seen what I have from a helicopter. As a trapper, I would have expected you to have seen some?

Looks like Staghorn sumac, but with white berries.

I've heard it makes a great varnish.. Sap is supposed to turn black on exposure to air...

<°)))>{

Back
Top Bottom