Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Myers Depot Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > Beach and Water Hunting

Reply
  
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-16-2018, 03:14 PM
Nick93023 Nick93023 is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 55
Default Bad Timing

Well I got my Equinox 800 about two weeks ago. I have been on probably 10 hunts. All a bust as far as wetsand/water. I am located in Southern California, Ventura to be exact. I have mostly been hitting local beaches at low tide. The last several days I have been chasing the low tide, even going out around 3am! All my hunts have been nothing but trash.

The following pictures I took this morning looked good to me but neither spots produced anything other than aluminum slaw, one or two lead sinkers, a pair of junk glasses, and a few pull tabs. I did also find two quarters in the wet sand that were not fresh drops. I guess it is the wrong time of the year for my area.

Reply With Quote


  #2  
Old 06-16-2018, 03:24 PM
zeemang zeemang is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: South of there
Posts: 18,585
Default

That second shot looks great, bummer you didn't get much...

__________________
Excal II, Sov GT, X terra 705, e trac, woowhoo!
Living the American dream, just a bit further south...

Reply With Quote


  #3  
Old 06-16-2018, 03:24 PM
ROBOTCOP13 ROBOTCOP13 is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 674
Default

Don't give up. Beach conditions can change daily. Learn what you can about your local beaches. Learn to "read the beach" signs like scalloping where there is erosion. If at low tide the beach feels like it is hard enough to ride a wide tired bicycle on it that's a good sign of beach erosion and sand compaction. Keep at it as often as you can and be observant of the beaches. When targets do start appearing look around and ask yourself Why? The best detectorists are the ones who become knowledgeable about their beach conditions.
Reply With Quote


  #4  
Old 06-16-2018, 03:51 PM
Nick93023 Nick93023 is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 55
Default

Originally Posted by zeemang View post
That second shot looks great, bummer you didn't get much...

I saw that part of the beach and hightailed it over there because I remember reading a post where someone uploaded a similar picture to it. Unfortunately it was near impossible to dig in as it was like an inch of sand and bed rock underneath. Also I was getting a lot of falsing. I would get a 15-16 on my nox 800 and I was never able to retrieve the "target" after several of these I kind of figured it was falsing. Maybe I am wrong.
Reply With Quote


  #5  
Old 06-16-2018, 03:52 PM
Nick93023 Nick93023 is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 55
Default

Originally Posted by ROBOTCOP13 View post
Don't give up. Beach conditions can change daily. Learn what you can about your local beaches. Learn to "read the beach" signs like scalloping where there is erosion. If at low tide the beach feels like it is hard enough to ride a wide tired bicycle on it that's a good sign of beach erosion and sand compaction. Keep at it as often as you can and be observant of the beaches. When targets do start appearing look around and ask yourself Why? The best detectorists are the ones who become knowledgeable about their beach conditions.
Thank you for ypur input. I am definitely paying attention to the surf & tides now. I am also asking my surfer friend to let me know when he hears of high surf. He mentioned to me that October is when the high surf is.
Reply With Quote


  #6  
Old 06-16-2018, 10:26 PM
Caribbeanson's Avatar
Caribbeanson Caribbeanson is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 931
Default

Bummer, beaches look good, good enough that I wouldn't have said where

For the first pic - is that a recent sand cliff or old/existing dune? Its hard to tell but looks like eroded slope. If it is, that should be a good spot but it depends on how old it is.

As for the 2nd pic, also looks good. 1 or 2 inches of sand is a dream as far as having targets within detector range. I would suggest a pinpointer to help when working those rocks. Also consider checking that spot at high tide and fanning the sand away - if the surf is calm.

__________________
Fisher CZ-21, Equinox 600, Whites Dual Field PI, Ace 350, Stealth 720.

Reply With Quote


  #7  
Old 06-16-2018, 11:23 PM
Nick93023 Nick93023 is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 55
Default

Originally Posted by Caribbeanson View post
Bummer, beaches look good, good enough that I wouldn't have said where

For the first pic - is that a recent sand cliff or old/existing dune? Its hard to tell but looks like eroded slope. If it is, that should be a good spot but it depends on how old it is.

As for the 2nd pic, also looks good. 1 or 2 inches of sand is a dream as far as having targets within detector range. I would suggest a pinpointer to help when working those rocks. Also consider checking that spot at high tide and fanning the sand away - if the surf is calm.
Haha thanks. Well there was nothing there anyways LOL. The first pic based on the lack of targets I am going to say it is an old cliff. At the highest point it is about 7'. As far as the existing rocks, I don't think there were any targets present.
Reply With Quote


  #8  
Old 06-17-2018, 12:13 PM
zeemang zeemang is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: South of there
Posts: 18,585
Default

If it is washed out almost to bedrock i bet alot of those signals were not falses. Washouts like that can be dream spots...

__________________
Excal II, Sov GT, X terra 705, e trac, woowhoo!
Living the American dream, just a bit further south...

Reply With Quote


  #9  
Old 06-17-2018, 02:12 PM
Caribbeanson's Avatar
Caribbeanson Caribbeanson is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 931
Default

Originally Posted by zeemang View post
If it is washed out almost to bedrock i bet alot of those signals were not falses. Washouts like that can be dream spots...
was thinking the same thing.

Also Nick, if youre basically on bedrock, you can probably lower sensitivity on the Nox down to 18 or maybe lower and still be fine. I would go back with a pinpointer but not gonna beg you

__________________
Fisher CZ-21, Equinox 600, Whites Dual Field PI, Ace 350, Stealth 720.

Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
  #10  
Old 06-17-2018, 02:37 PM
OBN's Avatar
OBN OBN is offline
OldCherryPicker
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 7,638
Default

You need to get a pic of the place on the weekend around 1pm on a nice Hot day... and then during the week, say a weds around 1pm... to see where everyone hangs, how many and add in the tide location.
Reply With Quote


  #11  
Old 06-17-2018, 05:00 PM
MoonTzu MoonTzu is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Sweltering in San Diego, California
Posts: 65
Default

I'd be mystified too! Great tips people have shared, though - this is a great forum!
Reply With Quote


  #12  
Old 06-18-2018, 01:21 PM
RayK RayK is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Middletown NY
Posts: 335
Default

Originally Posted by OBN View post
You need to get a pic of the place on the weekend around 1pm on a nice Hot day... and then during the week, say a weds around 1pm... to see where everyone hangs, how many and add in the tide location.
OBN is right on. Part of reading the beach is knowing where people hang out and what type of people they are. Do they have a lot of jewelry or are they mostly a young crowd?

Was the beach popular in years gone by and has old beach entrances been closed so people now hang out in a different area?

Some things you may want to consider.

Ray
Reply With Quote


  #13  
Old 06-18-2018, 03:18 PM
OBN's Avatar
OBN OBN is offline
OldCherryPicker
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 7,638
Default

Originally Posted by RayK View post

Was the beach popular in years gone by and has old beach entrances been closed so people now hang out in a different area?

Some things you may want to consider.

Ray
I had a beach just like that this year. I was hunting about 100 yards north of where the beach use to be because they had relocated the spot and closed off the old area with a rock wall. And the only reason I found out is because there was a guy in a kayak passing by that asked if I found anything, I said a silver quarter, he said there was hunter who use to hunt down near the XXXXx and did well with the gold. What a great tip from a local. Half the gold I have this year is from that spot...32, Scott my hunting partner got 5...
Reply With Quote


Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.