Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Big boys Hobbies
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > Beach and Water Hunting

Old 06-12-2018, 05:55 PM
A Knight of the Round Coil

Originally Posted by jl1252 View post
I'm not familiar with Florida laws, but most states track and register firearms in a state database for accountability.
Oh, its OK we're Florida and we do things differently! We even let thousands of new concealed weapons permits go without background checks!!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.130717e23a74

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-12-2018, 06:11 PM

I wasn't trying to stir the pot. If I found a gun, buried, anywhere, and it still had a legible serial number, I'm turning it over to the local authorities to figure out how it got there. If 60-90 days later they give me the nod that it's ok to keep, so be it.

I was just trying to say that thing has a story to tell, and other than finding it, I wouldn't want to be part of it.

Old 06-12-2018, 06:15 PM
A Knight of the Round Coil

I wasn't trying to stir the pot. If I found a gun, buried, anywhere, and it still had a legible serial number, I'm turning it over to the local authorities to figure out how it got there. If 60-90 days later they give me the nod that it's ok to keep, so be it.

I was just trying to say that thing has a story to tell, and other than finding it, I wouldn't want to be part of it.
I didn't think you were stirring the pot. ALL your points are very valid. There's a reason that sawed off gun was thrown away and I agree with you 100% as far as taking it to police.

Old 06-12-2018, 07:02 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by Swinglow View post
My wife used to have that same pistol when we met. (until I refined her tastes and she upgraded)

That's a cheap plinker! crazy that your buddy found the loaded mag to it!
The gun I have at home that is mine is a 357 Magnum.

Just because it's not reported stolen doesn't mean it isn't. The owner may not know it's gone, or was too embarrassed to report it because he/she didn't have the serial number handy. It needs to be in the hands of law enforcement so they can do the legwork to figure out why it was buried in the sand...obviously the barrel was hacked off for a reason. I'm not familiar with Florida laws, but most states track and register firearms in a state database for accountability.

Agreed. As the post said it will be turned in. I don't want anything to do with it other than to photograph it and turn it in. The thing has bad vibes all over it.

Old 06-12-2018, 10:55 PM
Elite Member

My wife used to have that same pistol when we met. (until I refined her tastes and she upgraded)
Who was the new guy she upgraded to?

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-13-2018, 10:13 AM
Elite Member

I worked retail sporting goods for nearly 15 years California may register and keep track of fire arms but most states do not. Even the Federal Government does not register and track firearms

If a firearm is used in a crime and is recovered by law enforcement they check with the manufacturer and distributor to see where the firearm was shipped to (dealer) then the dealer is contacted to see to whom the firearm was sold.

I was contacted many times by the FBI requesting information as to who the gun was sold. Once they get that information they then contact that individual.

Old 06-13-2018, 10:28 AM
"Can Do" Moderator

Originally Posted by imalookin2 View post

Old 06-13-2018, 11:19 AM
Supporter

Originally Posted by Kapi View post
Yeah the serial number is still on it. I checked the FDLE site and it's not listed as stolen, that's all I could find out. Thanks for the tip on the bag, I'll do that! Check out the added pic, my friend found the loaded clip today and gave it to me on the beach.
This, to me, screams that it's not a crime-related weapon. My first impression was that the barrel was cut to make it into a personal carry weapon, that fit nicely into the pants holster.

The fact you found a LOADED clip, tells me it's not an intentional toss away. I would think a crime-related pistol would be wiped down, bullets removed, and then tossed. The fact it had bullets in the clip suggests it was probably a personal carry item that got lost when someone fell in, or simply didn't want it any more.

Skippy

Ring total as of 9/25/2018 = 103

Old 06-13-2018, 11:33 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by imalookin2 View post
Well played, sir. Boy I served that one up on a silver platter.

Old 06-13-2018, 11:34 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Kapi View post
The gun I have at home that is mine is a 357 Magnum.

Agreed. As the post said it will be turned in. I don't want anything to do with it other than to photograph it and turn it in. The thing has bad vibes all over it.
Pistol packin mama! hubba hubba

Old 06-13-2018, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Surf Master View post
Used in a crime, as the barrel was destroyed , so they couldn't do ballistics's , most all gun's have a finger print now done before sale, is the serial # still on the gun ? If you turn it in to the cops , take it in , in a bag, you don't want to get shot, the cops thinking you came to shoot up the place , wright now they ARE trigger happy , one of those find's ya wish you never found.

Agreed. No other reason to hack off a bbl on a quality firearm. Might be able to match tool marks on spent brass if they have some from a crime scene, but then matching pistol to the ocean doesn't help much. Maybe if they could put a suspect close to that dock......

Old 06-13-2018, 01:31 PM
Elite Member

Talking Imalookin

Who was the new guy she upgraded to? :heartylaug h:

Excalibur Blue 1000, Excalibur Blue 800, CTX3030, Equinox 800, Surf Pi DF, Scuba Tector, Sovereign GT, XP Deus WS5, F -75 SE-Boost & DST , Euro Tek Pro, 1976 Coin Master ***** In The Past Detectors used -- Two- E-trac's , V3I, Omega 8000, 3- Euro Tek Pro's,2- F75 Standard, Cz70 Pro, Cz20 , Excalibur Sword, Two Excalibur 2's & my 1st - One Hot Blue Excalibur 10

Old 06-13-2018, 09:56 PM
Elite Member

Interesting find for sure!

Old 06-13-2018, 11:30 PM
Elite Member

Well played, sir. Boy I served that one up on a silver platter.
Glad you understood the joke. :-) You are a cool guy, I enjoy your threads.

Old 06-14-2018, 03:31 PM
Elite Member

That's a super find Kap. It is a shame someone cut the barrel off. Those are nice guns

Old 06-15-2018, 10:46 PM

If the grips are in good shape take them off and sell them separately. Just wrap elec. tape around the frame, the gun turn in people won't care.

Old 06-16-2018, 08:18 AM
Supporter

Originally Posted by Skippy SH13 View post
This, to me, screams that it's not a crime-related weapon. My first impression was that the barrel was cut to make it into a personal carry weapon, that fit nicely into the pants holster.

The fact you found a LOADED clip, tells me it's not an intentional toss away. I would think a crime-related pistol would be wiped down, bullets removed, and then tossed. The fact it had bullets in the clip suggests it was probably a personal carry item that got lost when someone fell in, or simply didn't want it any more.

Skippy
I agree, it was two tosses into the water, one for the weapon and one for the magazine. I question cutting off the barrel to make it more likely to be concealed since the grip is full size, but quite possible. I would lean more towards destroying the barrel to prevent testing.

I would also turn it in.

Old 06-16-2018, 09:35 AM
Elite Member

now thats a find and finding the clip as well very

best finds to date - 1821 capped bust dime ,1853 seated quarter, (2) 1891 seated dimes, 1874 seated dime, 1887 seated dime love token , 1777 half reale ,1805 drapped bust largie, 1914 barber half dollar,1812 classic head largie, 1864 2 cent piece,(1909 barber half dollar with a 1934 walker half dollar in the same hole together)1952 ben franklin half dollar

Old 06-16-2018, 03:26 PM

Itís a magazine, not a clip.
Awesome find.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-16-2018, 03:40 PM

Actually the last picture is generally considered to be a Magazine rather than a
Clip although some refer to either by either name.
Marvin