Kid's Detector Advice

DestinEngineer

I have two kids that are getting detectors this year at Christmas. I've pretty much narrowed it down to the White's Coinmaster or Garrett Ace 200. Price is a factor since I'm not sure that they will stick with it and I don't want to just waste money.

We are in NW Florida and I expect we will spend most time doing the beach and park areas with occasional trips to North Georgia. I realize that neither of these can be used in the wet salt/sand but should be just fine on the dry towel line. I realize the Compadre is a great detector at that price range, my kids have a better chance of staying with it if it has buttons and a screen so it is what it is.

I appreciate any thoughts.

I don't know about the Whites but on the Garrett 200 you'll be wasting money right out of the gate unless you get a hell of a deal on them like 1/2 price. Beaches are rough for any entry level detector, and limited by single frequency. Really it's not the right equipment for the job. I'd think you should find a more suitable place for them to hunt like strictly the parks you mentioned, where they can be successful with entry level gear and keep their interest up rather than getting frustrated by something trivial like mineralization. Either that or literally "buck up" for gear they at least have a chance at being successful with in such a tough environment. Tough situation but ultimately it's about your kids happiness. Good luck in finding a happy medium that works!

Do diligent research on prices you can get and features they need/won't. You can find REALLY good deals but they won't come without scouring for them.

Here are some options that might help:

http://www.toptenreviews.com/electronics/family/best-metal-detectors/

Yep, totally agree that kids need the interface and feedback from a screen.

Not sure if there is anything close in price but I'd suggest a detector with ground balance. My kids started off similiar but lost interest with jumpy and false signals. When I let them use my CZ, Explorer, and CTX, they started asking to go hunting.

Just a quick ramble....Eh, also fair to say some really take an interest while others do not. A big part of that is how much time you spend to practice seeded hunts and teach them. If they get in a lull, consider buying a few scrap SSTL rings off the beach hunters, plant them ahead of time and watch your kids interest really peak! =).

I don't know about the Whites but on the Garrett 200 you'll be wasting money right out of the gate unless you get a hell of a deal on them like 1/2 price. Beaches are rough for any entry level detector, and limited by single frequency. Really it's not the right equipment for the job. I'd think you should find a more suitable place for them to hunt like strictly the parks you mentioned, where they can be successful with entry level gear and keep their interest up rather than getting frustrated by something trivial like mineralization. Either that or literally "buck up" for gear they at least have a chance at being successful with in such a tough environment. Tough situation but ultimately it's about your kids happiness. Good luck in finding a happy medium that works!

Do diligent research on prices you can get and features they need/won't. You can find REALLY good deals but they won't come without scouring for them.

Here are some options that might help:

http://www.toptenreviews.com/electronics/family/best-metal-detectors/

Like I said, they won't be going in the wet sand here. I have an old single frequency detector and I do really well in the dry sand. There are parks around and they are just Ok for the most part due to the high amount of trash in them. When I was my sons age, I got out with my grandfather's detector and was hooked. I think I may have another two that are going to follow in my footsteps....literally.:laughing:

Like I said, they won't be going in the wet sand here. I have an old single frequency detector and I do really well in the dry sand. There are parks around and they are just Ok for the most part due to the high amount of trash in them. When I was my sons age, I got out with my grandfather's detector and was hooked. I think I may have another two that are going to follow in my footsteps....literally.:laughing:

Sounds good! David had a great idea with the seeded hunts, just to hook em and reel em in slow. Don't want their expectations to get to high, but enough for them to not get bored with it either.

Great Kids Detector / Teknetics Digitek

I have two kids that are getting detectors this year at Christmas. I've pretty much narrowed it down to the White's Coinmaster or Garrett Ace 200. Price is a factor since I'm not sure that they will stick with it and I don't want to just waste money.

We are in NW Florida and I expect we will spend most time doing the beach and park areas with occasional trips to North Georgia. I realize that neither of these can be used in the wet salt/sand but should be just fine on the dry towel line. I realize the Compadre is a great detector at that price range, my kids have a better chance of staying with it if it has buttons and a screen so it is what it is.

Great Kids Detector, Great Price

http://www.metaldetectors.com/kids-metal-detectors/teknetics/digitek-metal-detector

Buy the Compadres.

If having buttons and a screen is what they're interested in, instead of finding things, cut your losses and keep a higher resale value.

I'd buy 1, let them share....15 minutes at turn, then switch until you determine a 2nd purchase in necessary/needed.

I'd recommend the Teknetics Digitek ,regularly $179 but now $129 with coupon code from an authorized dealer or TekneticsDirect.com has a place on site click get coupon.

It has large numerical ID 1-99; iron, foil, nickel, pulltab, zinc can be selectively notched out if desired. Single 9V alkaline battery lasts up to 25 hours; 1/4" headphone jack; has low tone for iron & medium tone for nickel and zinc if nor rejected; 2 digit depth reading in non-motion VCO pinpoint; 7" concentric coil for easier pinpointing and better rejection of bottlecaps than typical DD coils. Has a volume control 1-10 & sensitivity 1-10.

Shallow/medium/deep depth indicator while searching; fast target response to detect a coin close to trash; proprietary circuitry cancels out minerals in most soil types, won't work on wet salt and red iron ore soil may cause overload sound & symbol. Sale may end at end of November, according to 1 dealer.

Detects coins to 9 inches. ID will be pretty accurate in most soils for most coins at shallow to moderate depths. Weighs 2.3 lbs. 5 year warranty to original owner (non-transferrable). See You Tube video by TheHunterGT. Best wishes.

I'd recommend the Teknetics Digitek ,regularly $179 but now $129 with coupon code from an authorized dealer or TekneticsDirect.com has a place on site click get coupon.

It has large numerical ID 1-99; iron, foil, nickel, pulltab, zinc can be selectively notched out if desired. Single 9V alkaline battery lasts up to 25 hours; 1/4" headphone jack; has low tone for iron & medium tone for nickel and zinc if nor rejected; 2 digit depth reading in non-motion VCO pinpoint; 7" concentric coil for easier pinpointing and better rejection of bottlecaps than typical DD coils. Has a volume control 1-10 & sensitivity 1-10.

Shallow/medium/deep depth indicator while searching; fast target response to detect a coin close to trash; proprietary circuitry cancels out minerals in most soil types, won't work on wet salt and red iron ore soil may cause overload sound & symbol. Sale may end at end of November, according to 1 dealer.

Detects coins to 9 inches. ID will be pretty accurate in most soils for most coins at shallow to moderate depths. Weighs 2.3 lbs. 5 year warranty to original owner (non-transferrable). See You Tube video by TheHunterGT. Best wishes.

Yep there is no better detecting value than a digitek on sale for $129. period

if you're over 5'6" I'd get the 26" longer rod for when you use it.

I understand how hard it is to keep kids interested,trust me...I have 3. Having a machine with lights and horns that LIES to them is going to be detrimental. Having one of those types of machines AND a Compadre,and letting them switch off,may teach them something about life in general. It’s not all about looks...and sometimes it’s just better to listen. It will be VERY hard to beat a Compadre,unless it won’t work AT ALL where you’re going.

I bought my Grandkids a Deteknix Quest Q20 a couple weeks ago. Target ID, IP66 waterproof, light weight, build in USB cable rechargeable battery etc. Made to work well in salt water. For the price I couldn't find a detector with more features that would work well on beaches and not be to complicated or expensive. They learned how to operate it quickly, and are having fun with it. Seems very well made and adjusts easily from adult to kid height lengths. No issues or negatives. Even came with headphones. Instruction were useless, but if you have experience, you'd have no trouble figuring it out and teaching kids how to use it.

Yep there is no better detecting value than a digitek on sale for $129. period

if you're over 5'6" I'd get the 26" longer rod for when you use it.

THIS is exactly what I bought....2 of them. They are still in the boxes of course but I'll be sure to report back once Santa gets them delivered!

I'll just stick with my old trusty XLT until the Equinox comes out....then I'll buy one of those, and a second one if the first performs as I hope it does.

Kids seem to show more interest in machines with visual readouts. The target ID and depth makes it more exciting. Just trying to figure tones and beeps makes the game of metal detecting a little less captivating or interesting to kids I think.

I would at LEAST buy the ace 250. It has a lot more modes, better depth gauge, and best of all, it has pinpointing (which the 200 doesn't have). I think if you get anything less than the 250, you're just setting yourself up for disappointment.

That's just my 2¢

My 8 year old just got into metal detecting and he's loving it. You need to make sure about a few things when you detect with kids,

1. Location, easy digging is a must. Sand is great

2. A digger and a pinpointer. Kids have less attention span than we do and will get frustrated if they can't find the target quickly.

3. A small pouch for finds

4. A lightweight detector (but not junk) He's using an Elite 2200 currently and it works great, bought him a compadre for this Christmas. Hopefully he doesnt read this...

5. Celebrate every find like its treasure. And when they find a quarter do the happy dance :) These other factors are more important than the detector itself.

Happy hunting!

Back
Top Bottom