First finds with my Vanquish 540 w/ pic

60/40

Hello!

I haven't been metal detecting in over a decade and just picked up a 540. Swung it for about 3 hours over the last few days. I hunted on some park property that is super trashy, which made it tough with the included 12 inch coil. The hardest part is deciphering all the information the machine is giving me.

I08XEow.jpg

Thanks GroundSweeper. It was a lot of work to find my few coins. Would you recommend an 8 or 10 inch coil for trashy areas?

Thanks GroundSweeper. It was a lot of work to find my few coins. Would you recommend an 8 or 10 inch coil for trashy areas?

Many guys here like the small coils for separating trash and coins, less targets under the coil at a time, and you can get small coils closer to obtacles. Getting used to a new machines sounds, remember the ole -learn your coins test by laying them out and sweeping over them. US coins. Piece of lead, brass, gold. Just a suggestion.
And yes, I have a pretty decent machine, Minelab Xterra and I use a 6" coil in parks alot. You have a better machine but will benefit from small coils. Thats probably why a lot buy the 540 Pro pack. Wireless headphones and the extra smaller coil. There's guys that buy these detectors just to try, maybe someone would sell the smaller coil? New or used it'll pay for itself. Hope that helps a bit.HH

Thanks tinsmith. I'll see if I can find an 8 inch coil.

I found a really old oak tree to hunt under tonight, was windy and drizzling and made for a tough hunt. Found a solid tone showing a 31 on my 540, pulled a plug and about 5 inches down found this 50 cent piece! Not bad for my 3rd hunt with my new machine. I'm rejecting anything under a 19 atm, as I don't feel like digging a bunch of trash as of yet.

I have a pair of active noise cancelling headphones I'm using with my machine. I think I got them on sale for $35 on Amazon, they work really great and the active noise cancelling works almost as well as a pair of $300 Sony's I used to have.

t2Jc1gK.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom