Detecting Underwater?

GabbityGabby

Elite Member
I recently certified as an Open Water Diver through the PADI program, with the intention of using my new skill to expand my detecting horizons... underwater! However, I have no idea how to do this, so I was hoping some of the other divers on here could fill me in.

What's it like swinging a detector underwater with water resistance? How do you deal with the visibility when you dig through the sand? Where do you put all your equipment?

Thanks in advance for any advice. :D

I scuba/detect quite often. Resistance is the same as standing in chest deep water. Visibility gets a little murky when your'e shaking out the scoop but it goes away fairly quick. All your equipment??? All I have is my tank, gauges, scoop and pouch for finds and a detector. I do not crawl around the bottom of lakes or rivers. I usually stand up just like detecting on the beach or in a park. You do not have to go very deep. Around piers or diving areas. I just scuba/detected Door county this week. Good luck and be safe. Check your gauges and if you think it could be too dangerous, it probably is.

I've tried a few times and still want to get better at it. I think my biggest challenge was listening for targets with all the regulator exhaust bubble noise. :yes:

Gabby,

Don't stop with your Open Water Certification. Go ahead and get your Advanced Open Water cert also. It'll give you a few more dives with an instructor nearby as well as exposing you to things like deep diving and underwater navigation. You'll be able to concentrate more on your detecting once you're more comfortable with your scuba skills.

Good luck and be safe.

Congratulations GG! Yeah...detecting underwater is a Specialized Sub-set Skill within this Sport...It is immensely profitable on account of all that stuff is out of reach of everyone else and has been laying there for years...

Our Brother Scubadetector posted prolifically about his finds and shared his methods and what to key in on. He even will talk on the phone with you if you have any questions or need advice...He is a really good guy who has put in some substantial bottom time hunting with the detector, and enjoys mentoring others likewise inclined...

Theres some Youtube vids out there that I'm sure you watched to give you an idea...You should search Scubadetectors posts, maybe call him even?...Since you are located in Wisconsin, His methods should prove quite useful since he hunts inland Lakes here in Michigan, so it should translate over to you seamlessly...Good Luck and HH!
Mud

Back
Top Bottom