Sand scoop recommendation anyone??

Dan(NM)

Elite Member
I'm in the process of moving to Texas and will be very close to Lake Travis. I need to add to my gear, a decent sand scoop for fresh water hunting. Can someone recommend one that won't break the bank. I'm not sure what type of soil/sand/dirt I'm going to encounter, so, I may have to wait until I get over there later this month, thanks.

It depends on what you are digging in. Large rocks, small rocks, mud, sand......But I will tell you the generic answer.......Never go cheap on a scoop or you will just end up buying another one anyways. Do it right the first time. Upper right corner.....sponsor list......stealth.

My first scoop was part of a package deal when I bought my detector. Two piece, aluminum,6 inch cylinder, breaks down and works great for traveling. That being said, I bought a Stealth Scoop, 920I I think is the exact model I bought. HUGEEEE difference. Much larger, much better shot at getting the target in the first try. Great for water hunting, and dry sand. Scoops up a ton of earth in wet dirt/soil/sand, which can be heavy and fatiguing in a target rich area. Only "regret" I had with buying the stealth scoop was how long I waited before I bought it. I bought a 5 foot, $10 shovel handle from the local hardware store to mount it on which fits my needs and I've been super happy with it. Also bought and mounted a Raptor handle on the shaft of the scoop, which was about $25 I think with shipping and can make sifting easier depending on your style. I like the Raptor handle, but still not 100% sold on that aspect.

However, the Stealth scoop is SPECTACULAR, at least for my needs. I never worry about digging targets anymore, just simply getting under the coil first.

I should add I'm used to hunting in the waters of south Florida with a fair amount of large shells, coral, and limestone rock chunks. Unless it's solely golf-ball sized rocks/shells/coral or larger, the stealth cuts into the sand and sifts it beautifully.

Stavr
In the long run it is cheaper to buy a good one first rather than buying a few cheap ones and realizing your mistake.

I have been very happy with shorter handles more control in rocks.

Attachments

• a1 scoop.jpg
    a1 scoop.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 114
Buy once, Cry once.

I lived in SE TX back in the 80s and fished Lake Travis more than once. Get one with a nice point, SS, personal preference as to angle ( I rec 20 degrees), and 7" or 9" opening.
Several good ones out there, but you will never go wrong with a Sunspot Stealth. Read their warranty- thatll clinch it for you. + they have absolutely the best customer service of anyone I have dealt with ever. And I mean Ever.

Get one with big holes. My first one had half inch wire mesh in the back which worked nice.
I bought a T Rex with smaller holes and now have to shake a lot more.:no: I should of got one with half or 5/8 inch holes.
I must say the Rex is a tough scoop!

Several good ones out there, but you will never go wrong with a Sunspot Stealth. Read their warranty- thatll clinch it for you. + they have absolutely the best customer service of anyone I have dealt with ever. And I mean Ever.
Totally agree!

Get one with big holes. My first one had half inch wire mesh in the back which worked nice.
I bought a T Rex with smaller holes and now have to shake a lot more.:no: I should of got one with half or 5/8 inch holes.
I must say the Rex is a tough scoop!

Lots og good advice on this topic. but i agree with Metal, if your the kind of guy that likes to shake out the scoop vs dumping it and spreadin out the pile, then a 1/2 wire mesh it great esp. in dry and wet sand. Shakes out real fast and time is important. If you cant find that then get one with 5/8 inch holes.

Back
Top Bottom