What Do You Read (MDing)?

SoCalToolGuy

I live in Huntington Beach area of Orange County,
I like to read all I can about whatever interests me. What reading material can you experienced hunters recommend? I have been on the lookout for magazines that are based on treasure hunting and prospecting but haven't found anything on the newstands. I am traveling and haven't been in a full blown book store for a while but we will be in Rapid City S.D. this week so we might find a mall or something that has a larger offering. What do you folks read? Thanks for your help,
Ray

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't read the magazines, but if you're looking for a OK book, try 'The Urban Treasure Hunter' (can't remember who wrote it.) Another good one is 'Taking A Closer Look At Metal Detector Discrimination' by Robert C. Brockett. Don't know if you'll find them in a store - maybe a store that sell metal detectors. You'll probably find magazines there too.

"Lost Treasure Magazine" is the one i subscribe to. it has good stories of hunts by people and reviews of new machines as well as stories of caches and stuff that have not been found. also it has articles about where to hunt for placer gold inland on the beach and under water! LLTM is a good all purpose treasure mag.

i am reading a book by charles garrett titled "Totaly Revised Modern Metal Detectors" it is good if you are interested in how they work and their principals of operation. it gives no math but doesnt really need to. it covers all aspects of detector analysis to. ie. what to look for in good units and stuff. at 432 pages it's long enough to keep you interested. if you have not yet purchased a machine i recomed it to get up to speed on what they are all about. and what the features are.

Brockett Book at Amazon

I don't read the magazines, but if you're looking for a OK book, try 'The Urban Treasure Hunter' (can't remember who wrote it.) Another good one is 'Taking A Closer Look At Metal Detector Discrimination' by Robert C. Brockett. Don't know if you'll find them in a store - maybe a store that sell metal detectors. You'll probably find magazines there too.

Amazon has three copies of the Brockett book...1 new and two used for less than $8. Just copy the title into the Amazon search box and it'll take you there.

Thanks to everybody for the replies. I am mostly interested in just reading about what others have found and where they are hunting. I bought a detector and have been messing around with it to learn what it can and cannot do. It is a Minelabs X-Terra 70 and so far I am pretty impressed. Many years ago I used to buy magazines off the stand that were about unfound treasure and how to go about searching for it. I don't know how true the stuff was but it was fun to read and fantasize. Now I have the time to do it so I want to read more on the subject. I will check out the links that you all have supplied. Keep em coming. Thanks again,
Ray

Back
Top Bottom