Has anyone ever used letters requesting permission?

The Wolf

Elite Member
I've been researching some areas using the county GIS maps. Most contact information is provided, and if not, it's not hard to get. I've started drafting a generic letter that I can mail out to the property owners. Within the letter I introduce myself, describe my research, what I would like to do, and how I go about it. A couple questions here:

1- Has anyone ever had success doing this?
2- Could anyone share their wording, draft, etc?
3- Should I include a business card?
4- Is there a thing as "too much info" in a request letter?
5- How do you keep the letter looking genuine so it doesn't get sorted and tossed with the junk mail?

Thanks in advance!

I would try the following:
1- [B said:
[/B]Has anyone ever had success doing this?Plan to, Ive been procrastinating
2- Could anyone share their wording, draft, etc? Maybe just say you might get lucky and find a wheat penny or buffalo nickle or you collect them
3- Should I include a business card?I would say yes
4- Is there a thing as "too much info" in a request letter?Yes
5- How do you keep the letter looking genuine so it doesn't get sorted and tossed with the junk mail?Hand written on envolope with your return address(if out of town or state, which some of mine are)

Thanks in advance!

Wolf, To answer your question, ask yourself the following question:

What do you do with junk mail from total strangers ? You throw it away, right ?

So too will 99% of such letters (either email or regular pen & paper) probably get tossed in the trash. You're going to have better odds "catching them on their front porch" so-to-speak.

JMHO.

It harder to say no to someone's face then over the phone or ignoring the letter.

People just consider it junk mail and not only does it get thrown away but could possibly sour the individual to permissions , since junk mail can be annoying. Even phone calls can be unwelcome , so there is just no good alternative to face to face conversation.

Hate to sound harsh but since you asked ; my two cents would be letters are a complete waste of time.

I don't agree that they would consider it junk mail and not even look at it.i have had some great luck. I did mention that my artifacts found are on display at a few places. I dropped a lot of names. I will say it took a lot of time and determination to get to the point where I had names to drop and places where my finds are displayed. Good luck !

Keep letters short and sweet. Highlight the 'symbiosis' of the request , i.e. the historical commission/ community may gain knowledge of the past, while I enjoy my hobby .

That's what I'm wondering. I'd like either a permit or a note saying that I'm allowed.

Ok liquid metal, here you go: Print this out and carry it with you:

I ... Tom_in_CA .... authorize Liquid metal to metal detect.

There ya go.

For the first time in years I'll publically acknowledge that I agree with Tom.
I do use business cards and have had some luck with them. But I'm not certain I wouldn't have had the same luck in getting permission without them.
Being a nice guy is really great if all the people you'd spent a $0.41 cent stamp to formally submit a written request to metal detect their property even responded. But not everyone is nice, and not everyone appreciates going to the mail box expecting a unemployment or welfare check and instead getting a letter from a guy asking to take his hobby to their yard.
Tom once said it was better to be told to leave a property after starting a dig than it was to be denied permission to even start one by someone who could have cared less until you asked them.
Shamefully, I'm gaining a greater appreciation of this thought as my time in the hobby increases.
And, although you may be given permission by one person, it doesn't guarantee that the next person coming along to run you off will even acknowledge that the permission grantor ever existed.
I'd say that, in a hobby where some days a penny is a good find, that a mass mailing of letters with .41 cent stamps may be a little excessive.

AT Pro/GPP-AT/Fiskars Diggers

Back
Top Bottom