Mushroom hunt with the lil-guy!!!!!

coin chaser

Forum Supporter
Tuesday after work I ran home grabbed the lil-guy and off we went to the woods for the first mushroom hunt of the year. We were out for a couple hours and covered quite a bit of ground being that he's 4 1/2. We found 71 grays, and 3 yellows. He had a blast and wanted to eat them as soon as he found them!:laughing: I had to convince him that we had to wait till we got home to cook them up. He lives to pick wild food of any kind and eat it. On the way home decided to try and pick some wild asparagus to make it a great outing. Pulled down my favorite country road and saw another vehicle pulled over. Pulled up to them and the husband was driving and the wife was picking the asparagus. She had half a plastic grocery sack full already and beat us to the spot!:mad: Oh well early bird gets the worm.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 183
  • shroom1.jpg
    shroom1.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 172
  • shroom2.jpg
    shroom2.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 178
  • shroom3.jpg
    shroom3.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 174
+1....That's a nice haul...
I hit the brush last week relic hunting, was going to also look for Morels believe or not once in the brush I forgot all about the Morels :laughing:

:laughing: I was hungry! Did a woods hunt yesterday had a good wheat signal that I pinpointed. The lil guy and I cleared the grass to dig and he was like dad look! There was a gray sitting there! He picked the gray then we dug under it and got a 1911 wheat! It was cool.

wow , thats a lot of morels. I love those , wish I could find some around here.

Get out to the woods my friend! They are out there. Cover ground till you find one then slow down and look close. Look for dead trees with the bark still on them. Do a little google searching on what to look for to help narrow down the type of area to hunt!

Aw man that looks good. I actually work as a chef, but have not worked anywhere "upscale" in a few years and have not had the pleasure of using morels for far too long. Do you find any boletes in your area?

Looking good man, congrats on the loot!!!

Makes me want to get out for some...

<*)))>{

Aw man that looks good. I actually work as a chef, but have not worked anywhere "upscale" in a few years and have not had the pleasure of using morels for far too long. Do you find any boletes in your area?
Thanks man. Not sure about the boletes. I only eat what I know morels, yellow tops, and hen of the woods. If you try to look up mushrooms in a book it's a joke. I grew up eating half free morels and beefsteaks (also know as fake morels) but in the books they say they can be dangerous. Being that my son is eating them too I don't want to take any chances. I think the sole purpose of the books is to scare the $?!& out of you. Sure wish there was a mushroom expert in my area but even then it's like getting someone to tell you their secrets. There are tons of mushrooms out there and I'm sure tons are edible if I only knew.

Thanks man. Not sure about the boletes. I only eat what I know morels, yellow tops, and hen of the woods. If you try to look up mushrooms in a book it's a joke. I grew up eating half free morels and beefsteaks (also know as fake morels) but in the books they say they can be dangerous. Being that my son is eating them too I don't want to take any chances. I think the sole purpose of the books is to scare the $?!& out of you. Sure wish there was a mushroom expert in my area but even then it's like getting someone to tell you their secrets. There are tons of mushrooms out there and I'm sure tons are edible if I only knew.

Yeah I ate false morels as a kid. We thought they were just another type of morel that was ok to eat , though my mother did know them as beefsteak morels. We ate a lot of them and didnt know they are poisonous. We also ate a lot of bracken fern sprouts , which are poisonous , misidentifying them as "fiddleheads" which are the sprouts of a different fern but good to eat. I dont advise anyone to eat either of them , now we know they can kill ya.

Those are super.. My favorite.. Really nice to go out with lil guy. Precious moments to be cherished. Good for both of u.

holy cow

great hunt !! I am glad to see that you include your little guy on your outings. I would hate to see some of the best things in life fade away. Good Job.

great hunt !! I am glad to see that you include your little guy on your outings. I would hate to see some of the best things in life fade away. Good Job.

Thanks and well said. I raise him outdoors as much as possible. Hunting, fishing, mushroom hunting, asparagus picking, MD'ing, shooting, and even the outdoor around the house work. If I'm not working he's with me. I try to spend as much of my time with him as possible. Hope he grows up with the good down home family values. Not afraid to work and get dirty. I teach him how to respect ALL animals and critters and not be afraid of them. He has handled more wild animals then most have seen. Now if only I could get him to understand the meaning of NO! He seems to translate it to "hurry do it faster" or "not when dads watching"!!!:laughing:

Back
Top Bottom