Thinking of taking up metal detecting

runty

Hi Im considering taking up metal detecting and have a few basic questions which will determine if I take it up and what detector to buy.
First question is how difficult is it to get people, churches, fairgrounds, parks etc to allow you to scan their property? Do you give them a cut, sweet talk them, join their organization? I dont want to invest in a scanner if I am severly limited in scan sites and people object to having their property dug up.
Secondly, I read some people saying dig everything. If you dig everything why do you need a better detector? I would think even the cheapest ones will beep at metal. Plus digging everything would get awfully tiring after a while.
Finally I need to choose a detector, I have a few low ends in mind (Fisher f2, Umax Silver, Discovery 3300) and two mid range (Fisher f4, Vaquero). I do not plan on digging too deep and will be in a variety of soils. Im not scared off by the learning curve but the lack of video on the Vaquero intimidates me a little even though it seems like the better detector.
Comments appreciated.
Thanks.

The screens can be a nice way to try to verify your target but be advised, they are influenced by lots of variables which throw off the accuracy. No matter what detector you use, tones first, then if you have a screen, it can maybe help you verify the probability of the target. The Vaquero is a very good machine but then there are lots of other choices people use. Best advice, research the detectors, ask questions, but only you can make the final decision.

Welcome to the hobby! I recommend Tesoro tesoro is a good brand. I love tesoro. but i think you can detect in those areas just ask first

Tesoro

Got me a Tesoro silver as my first detector and it's been amazing. Paid for itself in less than two months.

Get Your Ducks In A Row

Maybe you should check around to see if you can get permission before you start out and then check with others where they got permission for, try your local parks and rec for permission in parks, both your town and any your willing to travel to, this can make your choice to begin a lot easier and your budget too, if you have a great amount of places but they tent to be coin harvests and not relics then a simpler coin finding machine is what you want, if you cant get on there and your looking more at fields or older places then one that has good relic finding is betetr suited to you.

Find a local club and visit it, see if the people there are your kind of folks, remember these peopel might be the social life you have from now on if you devote much of your time to detecting, old men and semi professional detectorists might not be your kind of people.

Check at your town library for old maps, etc to locate former places where you are and if they are on land you can detect or get permission to detect, i know it seems silly to ask permission before you even get your detector but imagine if you get one then cant get permission or dont like asking...get to love the word no, you might hear it often, and if you get permission then make sure you know how to dig flaps and plugs in your own yard with a towel because the better you make that first permission the more likely you are to get permission from a neighbor or friend of.

Peoples inherent greedy might outweigh their want to keep their garden in tiop top condition...also remember that when you ask permission you should get an idea of when the homes were built, check zillow, as if its a modern home with modern lanscaping your not going to find something old unless it arrives with the subbase or is undewr the sub base and thats going to be a long dig and make a mess.

Just check these things out first, then goto a local detector store and feel/touch the detectors your interested in, they might not feel comfortable, easy to understand, or you might find that one that feel right, costs right and you 'get it' then its a matter of buying and getting your accessories.

A good digger, a pro pointer if you can afford one or its going to be a plastic digger/scoop to hold over your coin as you dig or a hand full of dirt method...everyone wants or uses the propointer from garrett but its $130 so you have to make sure your going to be into detecting first to risk thast much cash.

You can find recommendations on here for diggers, pinpointer, gloves, kneepads, pouches, even the classifieds here.

You get your ducks in a row

Unless you're in a big city, public park / school ground, hunting probably won't be an issue. Check to see if there are any rules / regulations. Also check forest preserves. A quick Google search should help.

If you can, you'll want to hunt your own yard (if you have one) first because it will take some time to perfect your plug digging / pinpointing skills. The last thing you want is to "practice" in a public place and leave things a mess. I can dig plugs now so you'll never know I was there. When I first started (in my yard) even though I knew the technique they didn't always turn out like I'd hoped.

Finding a club is a good idea although I'm not a member of any yet. I've been going solo for about 4 months now and can't get enough. If this hobby interests you, you'll love it! HH

Welcome to the forums. The are many reviews of detectors and varies other knowledge on the forums.

As far as the detectors go I have never used any of them so I cannot comment, but watch some Youtube videos with other people using them and see what you like best.

Welcome to the forum from the Ozarks. All of the machines you mentioned are good machines. The Teknetics brand is also a good brand of detectors. I use the Alpha 2000 and absolutely love it.

Doug

Getting permission is based on 2 things. 1 is your attitude and the other is how the person perceives the hobby. It can be hard but then again if it was easy then everyone would do it. Yes at first yu must dig everything. Then after that your call. I dig repeatable targets most of the time. If they jump to much then I pass. Some days I still dig everything.

Back
Top Bottom