• Forum server maintanace tonight.
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Dfx

kevinslack

i got my dfx today and tryed it in the back yard before it got dark. i notice that it was doing alot of beeping just moving it around back and forth. does that mean the sensitivity is set to high. i will take it to the park in the morning to see if it acts alittle better there. i have the A-C sensitivity set on 40 AND the DC sensitivity also set on 40 all help on this machine would be great thank you.

i got my dfx today and tryed it in the back yard before it got dark. i notice that it was doing alot of beeping just moving it around back and forth. does that mean the sensitivity is set to high. i will take it to the park in the morning to see if it acts alittle better there. i have the A-C sensitivity set on 40 AND the DC sensitivity also set on 40 all help on this machine would be great thank you.

Start out with one of the pre programed options (like coin and jewelry) before you start to make adjustments. Which coil are you using? It sounds like you may have been getting some EMI interference.

yes i did set it to the coin and jewelry setting.i have the 9.5" coil on it. but i do have three other coils for it. 4"X6"DD 5.3" AND A 10X14 excelerator DD i bought it used for $875.00 + $25.00 for shipping. didnt know if something was wrong with it or not.

Check your connections, make sure the cable is wrapped around the shaft snug enough that it isn't moving around (but not too tight). If that is done and you still have too much beeping, try one of the other coils and see if they do the same thing. If they don't, it could be the 950 coil, although they are usually very reliable. You might also want to give Whites a call and speak to one of their techs. They are more than willing to help out.

ok thanks, cable is only wrapped around the pole acouple of times. i didnt think that would make it not work right. i will wrap it around the pole good. i tested it in the house with a penny dime nickle and quarter and the sceen showed them on the sceen. it may take some getting used to. i will try the park in the morning. thanks the cable was flopping around so hopefully that will do it.

Having your A.C. SENS. set at 40 is not too hgh. Are you near high power lines? If you are, then FXDiz is most likely correct on the EMI. You can try switching to just the 15 khz frequency mode. In this mode, the DFX will be less sensitive to EMI and see if that calms the beeping down. If it does, then increase your AC sens. back to the factory setting of 68. Try this and hopefully you will see an improvement. Happy hunting and good luck! :welcome2: to the forum.

yes there is a power line feeding the house where i was useing the detector about 15 feet above me. boy i can see its going to be alot of fun learning all the things on this machine. the 15khz and 3khz are both set on the off

In the coin/jewelry program, the machine is using dual frequency 3khz & 15khz (BEST DATA). If you turn 15khz "ON", it will automatically turn the BEST DATA "OFF". It can only run 1 frequency mode at a time.

ok thanks, cable is only wrapped around the pole acouple of times. i didnt think that would make it not work right. i will wrap it around the pole good. i tested it in the house with a penny dime nickle and quarter and the sceen showed them on the sceen. it may take some getting used to. i will try the park in the morning. thanks the cable was flopping around so hopefully that will do it.

Because the cable is loose and flopping around, the coil is picking up the movment of cable and causing it to beep. The electrical line right above the detector will cause some EMI problems, but with the 950 coil that is usually minimal. The further you get away from it the less EMI.

hey kevinslack, how are you? I to just bought a used dfx and know what your going through. It is a complex machine that has alot of capabilities. It will test your patience until you get to know it. I have been on a few forums including dfxonly.com. A wealth of info from expireanced users and all willing to help. Your not going through anything any new dfx owner doesnt go through. I strongly urge you to buy to books recomended to me by the old pros. One is understanding the dfx and digging deeper with the dfx. They explain all the settings in detail and how to use them and what they actually do when your detecting. Im new but one thing Ive learned, is to check to see if your machine is running stable after you set the ac is hold it waist high and see if the threshold is smooth and not breaking up. also make sure the screen is not getting bars on it at waist high level. If not your ac sens should be fine. Also while the machine is turned on you can take the battery out and wait a couple of minutes and reinstall it. This somehow resets the machine. Like I said I was very green to this machine and learned all of that from them two books and people on these forums. Ive only owned mine since end of sept. and allready starting to find stuff,nothing of great value yet, but every find is more knowledge under my belt. Main thing is do not get discouraged it will come!! Also I forgot to mention ground balancing is very very important! You have to ground balance on a clean spot on the ground with no metal under the coil. Most dfx people recommend ground balancing twice. hope this info helps.

pointer80

yes thanks for all the help. i talked to whites today and told them what it was doing. i took it to the park and it did the same thing even changed the coils. i sent every thing to whites to have them check it all out for me. the good thing about it was the guy i bought it from said the amp gain was set to high thats why it was acting that way. but he said if whites have to fix something he will pay for it. at least when i get it back i will know for sure the machine is working right. but shipping cost $47.00 to ship it there frist class and ins. they will check all four coils and check the machine and they said the most it would cost me would be $120.00 because they dont go over that amount.

The pre amp gain in the coin/jewelry program is set at 2 and that is a conservative setting. I would be shocked if that really is the problem, unless you increased the PAG. Sorry that the other suggestions did not work for you, but you have taken the right step to send it to Whites service center. When you get it back, it will be in top shape.

yes i feel it will be worth the wait, that way there is no secound guessing if its working right or not. i also order the book on Digging Deeper with the DFX and Finding Gold Nuggets 2 and Falling Stars that will give me something to read while i wait.

You can usually tell EMI from its random noise even when the coil isn't moving. If the sounds only happen when you're moving the coil and at the same locations each time, then you've probably got a lot of targets.

Be careful not to make too many adjustments right off the bat. It's very easy to make a bad adjustment and not be able to restore it back. Any changes you make will remain even when you shut the DFX off and back on. I've seen people new to the DFX makes a bunch of adjustments to the point it is unusable and they don't know how to change it back. Can be very frustrating. If you get into trouble you can reboot the detector by removing the battery while the detector is turned on.

Start simple with as little adjustments as possible until you feel comfortable with the detector.

well whites called me today and said it was done,she said they replaced the 950 coil and the circuit board and the screen and something else but forget. so i guess it will work good now. they only charged 113.00 for labor and parts. but it sounds like to me its new now. next step is to email the guy i bought it from and tell him the price. he said he would pay for it if there was any thing wrong with it. i guess it was just alittle bit more then adjust the amp gain which thats what he said was wrong with it.

Glad to hear your DFX is fixed and hope all goes well with the previous owner picking up the bill. I didn't feel that the problem was PAG being too high, but what do I know? Good luck with your machine when you go hunting. Will be waiting to see some finds! :confetti:

cant wait till i get it back, the guy put the money in my paypal account already. even said if i didnt want it to have whites ship it to him and he would give my money back and pay for the bill and my shipping i had in it. now thats a good guy. but i told him i wanted to keep it.

"Digging Deeper With the DFX" by Jeff Foster is a very good manual that you may want to consider. It will help you to understand all the controls and mechanics of the machine. Once you have become familiar and comfortable with the factory programs, then it instructs how to modify the programs to get more sensitivity and depth out of the machine. The DFX is quite a detector and does take time to master, but studying this manual and patience/time with the DFX will be very rewarding. I am the kinda guy that likes a good challenge anyway. :goodluck:

yes i got the book digging deeper with the DFX, once i get the DXF back i will use it a bit then start looking threw the book for tips and settings. there is alot of things in that book for sure.

Back
Top Bottom