need help deciding

rickey89

Hi, new to metal detecting and looking to purchase my first metal detector. I have about $650. Looking to use it for coin, jewelry and relics. Just wondering what would be the best general metal detector for this range. I was thinking about the ATPRO but am not sure if there are any better options. Also, later this year I am hoping to get a dedicated gold detector, any ideas on the best suited detector? Does anyone know if a an 11" DD coil is interchangable between the Fisher F 5 and goldbug pro?

Check out the minelab safari

After owning serveral dectectors,i like the safari the best!! Great depth,multi frequency,easy to set up and use. Do some research and see what new england detectors and back woods dectectors has to offer. For around 600,you can find a good used safari. My 2 pop tops.,hope this helps you.

I think at that price range, you should get the AT Pro. It's hard to beat at that price. Contact Bart at Big Boy's Hobbies for a great deal.

Be sure to save enough $$ to get yourself a Garrett Pinpointer too. Never leave home without one.

Actually, if you spend a little bit more and get an Xterra 705, you won't need to buy a dedicated machine for gold.

Again, brain ether you have not got any other detector than the compadre and therefore you suggest it to anyone or you have no clue on how mid and high range detectors work. The compadre is a starters detector, its not deep, it's not fast, and the only advantage it's got is that it's light and easy to use. Even Tesoro makes good mid ranged detectors so what's the point in suggesting a compadre when with his budget he could get a cibola?

Hi, new to metal detecting and looking to purchase my first metal detector. I have about $650. Looking to use it for coin, jewelry and relics. Just wondering what would be the best general metal detector for this range. I was thinking about the ATPRO but am not sure if there are any better options. Also, later this year I am hoping to get a dedicated gold detector, any ideas on the best suited detector? Does anyone know if a an 11" DD coil is interchangable between the Fisher F 5 and goldbug pro?

Hi Ricky!

The AT Pro is VERY hard to beat in that price range. Yes the F5 and Gold bug pro 11" DD coils can swap.

Feel free to give me a holler with more questions. Love to help you!

Again, brain ether you have not got any other detector than the compadre and therefore you suggest it to anyone or you have no clue on how mid and high range detectors work. The compadre is a starters detector, its not deep, it's not fast, and the only advantage it's got is that it's light and easy to use. Even Tesoro makes good mid ranged detectors so what's the point in suggesting a compadre when with his budget he could get a cibola?

Please tell me then, how do mid and high range detectors work? I have been detecting for years, have used numerous detectors from $165 to $4200. I'm not claiming I've got the most experience or anything like that, but I have used a wide range of detectors including the Cibola. In you're opinion, how does the Cibola compare to the Compadre since you've used both? Because I'm recommending the Compadre for a reason.

Mine's a simple answer to the OP, I recommend the Compadre, it's my opinion, take it or leave it.

Please share.
I'd like to know why you recommend a $160 beep & dig single tone entry level machine w/one function adjustment over anything else. :?:
Because he's a smart man :yes:. Take any other detector whether it is $100.00 or over $1,000.00 and see if it works as good as a Compadre for hitting on jewelry/gold. I see where he is coming from and see where the rest of ya are coming from. Maybe Right Brain see's it the way I do ..... for $650.00 he can get a Compadre and have enough left to get a deeper detector.

So you think that the OP should need to learn more than one machine because the two of you have some sort of love affair with units of nostalgic design?

Personally, you could take any two Tesoro's of a price equal to even something like an Xterra 505, and I'd jump over the Tesoro's to get to the 505. Choice of frequencies, multi tones, choice of coil sizes & search patterns, and a whole host of other features have made most of the Tesoro line a distant third pick compared to the MineLab's.

Longhair, unfortunately I think that tesoro users (especialy compadre) think that since they got a cheap detector that works quite well they can compare that detector to most advanced machines in the market.
Yeah right. That is why tesoro sells the compadre for $160... because it's an advanced machine :lol:
Even the same brand has decend mid ranged machines, that can be much better and deeper than a compadre for the price range that rick started with. But probably at tesoro there are a bunch of fools that are giving away their best machine for a very low price... the compadre...
Hey I can understand the compadre as a starters rig for someone that doesn't want to spend a lot of money, but to a person that has $650 budget there are much better detectors out there.

A lot of people move from detector to detector, messing with the low and mid priced machines, always wondering if brand X would have been a better choice...If you're serious about the hobby, and want the old coins and relics, research the top shelf detectors from each company, and get one of those, even if you have to buy it used. Stick with it, learn it well and you won't feel the need to upgrade soon, or wonder if there's stuff just out of reach of that low or mid priced unit...

I would get the xterra 705 gold pack that way you will save yourself money by having a gold machine and a coin/jewlery machine. You can switch frequencies just by changing the coil. the 705 can be had for about 100 less then your budget i know because I got mine for about $200 less then the retail price. That way you have enough to get your self a sand scoop if your hunting sand or a digger for the dirt and or a pinpointer. Also the 705 has something that the AT PRO doesn't have and that is ground tracking that automatically changes your ground balancing as you go and that is very handy once I figured out how it works I have never turned it off because I can go from the beach to a park without ever having to ground balance while the peopl are setting up there detectors to hunt you can just walk right to where you want to hunt turn on the machine and start hunting

So you think that the OP should need to learn more than one machine because the two of you have some sort of love affair with units of nostalgic design?

Personally, you could take any two Tesoro's of a price equal to even something like an Xterra 505, and I'd jump over the Tesoro's to get to the 505. Choice of frequencies, multi tones, choice of coil sizes & search patterns, and a whole host of other features have made most of the Tesoro line a distant third pick compared to the MineLab's.

I bought a Minelab 305 and 505 and sold both of them. MY Tesoro detectors work better for me.:grin:

beephead

A lot of people move from detector to detector, messing with the low and mid priced machines, always wondering if brand X would have been a better choice...If you're serious about the hobby, and want the old coins and relics, research the top shelf detectors from each company, and get one of those, even if you have to buy it used. Stick with it, learn it well and you won't feel the need to upgrade soon, or wonder if there's stuff just out of reach of that low or mid priced unit...

Exactly what he said... I did a lot of buying and selling to get to the top shelf units. If I had to do it over again with my burning sense of passion for this hobby i'd go straight to the top shelf units fom any maker and learn that machine just as well as you know your very own 2 feet.

Back
Top Bottom