Metal Detecting behind a Barber "Surf Rake"...

robby4570

Elite Member
How many of you have encountered one of these things while MD'ing at the beach? Do you hunt in the path behind him? Here in NW Fla. I have followed behind them at 3 different beaches and have pulled coins each time from their path after they have gone through. Yesterday I got a 75 cent pocket spill down about 3" in the path behind one.

Sandnut and I hit the beach yesterday (and had a great time - he taught me some great tips - :thankyou: THANKS Sandnut! :thankyou:) he says he likes to hit the point where they turn around. I had heard about them and worried about hitting the beach after they went through but no more. Sure they MAY pick up watches, bracelets, and necklaces with their tines but I'm not too worried about that.

Attachments

• img_selfpropelledbeachcleaner.jpg
    img_selfpropelledbeachcleaner.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 2,276
I usually try to beat this guy to the beach, but I do on occasion hunt behind him as the machine leaves some nice smooth sand. Sometimes the machine drag stuff down further if it doesn't get caught up.

How many of you have encountered one of these things while MD'ing at the beach? Do you hunt in the path behind him? Here in NW Fla. I have followed behind them at 3 different beaches and have pulled coins each time from their path after they have gone through. Yesterday I got a 75 cent pocket spill down about 3" in the path behind one.

Sandnut and I hit the beach yesterday (and had a great time - he taught me some great tips - :thankyou: THANKS Sandnut! :thankyou:) he says he likes to hit the point where they turn around. I had heard about them and worried about hitting the beach after they went through but no more. Sure they MAY pick up watches, bracelets, and necklaces with their tines but I'm not too worried about that.

Glad you had a good time. I had fun to just watching you have fun finding clad. We will have to do it another time and see if we can find that Gold some where. I would love to see you lose all sense of time and space when you see the gold in your scoop...:lol::lol::yes:. Have a good time where you are and get some hunts in see you soon.

I've hunted the one that works our main beach here, and with pretty good results. One spot that works for me at times is where they make a turn and leave a little ridge. It sometimes holds goodies!!:D

Barber "Surf Rake"

There is a SURF RAKE that gobbles up everthing on our beach each morning down to about the 6" mark. Unfortunately most of the good stuff is in the first couple of inches and the beach is super clean in the areas where the SURF RAKE drives. Fortunately they only take the machine out 3 times a week and on a pretty set schedule so I try and go on the days the machine is not cleaning. They don't clean the whole beach each time so I look for areas where the beach machine has not cleaned. Areas where folks had their towels down seems to be prime picking area. Also they often stock pile the debris collected in the back corner of the parking area. I got through that pile and have some good finds: several chains, watches and of course a bunch of coins. The pile is a little smelly with some of the food left on the beach but the treasure is all in a pile... if you are willing to dig and hold your nose...

The pile is a little smelly with some of the food left on the beach but the treasure is all in a pile... if you are willing to dig and hold your nose...

I would dig that pile!

After working on the land fill's dozer's and compactor's, whooo there ain't no smell like those stinkers! :lol::lol:

Thanks SeaBeeRon... MWUhahahaa.. :P I can use all the help I can get trying to learn the good spots at the main beach in Santa Cruz :D I'll have to do a search and read all your posts.. lol but one of these days I hope to come across you and say Hi!

-Yrekadude

Back
Top Bottom