#%@(&^%'n bees!

BaldAssCat

Elite Member
Went for a quick hunt at lunch and found a mud wasp nest. Got me 34 times. :mad: I looked pretty silly at my next meeting.

Anyone else find bees when checking the woods?

my enemy used to be yellow jackets. By the time I knew I had hit a nest, I was being zapped over and over.
luckily, not much down in Fl except chiggers, gators, snakes, boars, bears, mountain lions, and the most dangerous of all- snowbirds

Went for a quick hunt at lunch and found a mud wasp nest. Got me 34 times. :mad: I looked pretty silly at my next meeting.

If the CAT had more hair maybe that would protect the CAT better;)
Where the fudge do you work that you're "checking the woods" during lunch anyway??:lol: I hate bugs of all shapes and sizes. Walking sticks are cool...

my enemy used to be yellow jackets. By the time I knew I had hit a nest, I was being zapped over and over.
luckily, not much down in Fl except chiggers, gators, snakes, boars, bears, mountain lions, and the most dangerous of all- snowbirds

I don't have half of those but I'd figure out how to deal with them for goodies I see you FL beach folks always posting. :yes:

OH my gosh... That sound utterly horrible! (and what a great story around the Thanksgiving table, too.)

Tragedy + Time = Humor

Sometimes you just gotta go with it. 34 times though. I'll bet you were sick to your stomach from all the venom... Nasty things, Wasps!

Hope you feel better, soon!

If the CAT had more hair maybe that would protect the CAT better;)
Where the fudge do you work that you're "checking the woods" during lunch anyway??:lol: I hate bugs of all shapes and sizes. Walking sticks are cool...

I work a few miles from one of the oldest and largest Puritan settlements from the 1600s and along a main route used since early 1700s that was moved when they paved it for cars. I hit the woods at lunch sometimes.

And no making fun of the hair!

OH my gosh... That sound utterly horrible! (and what a great story around the Thanksgiving table, too.)

Tragedy + Time = Humor

Sometimes you just gotta go with it. 34 times though. I'll bet you were sick to your stomach from all the venom... Nasty things, Wasps!

Hope you feel better, soon!

Thanks, It's already funny though. I was laughing at myself for stepping on dead logs before I reached my truck and killed the last ones that made it in with my. The bees didn't hurt more than my pride did.

Your right, I wasn't very hungry for dinner. On the bright side 34 is my new high score! :laughing:

This time of year, at least were I'm located, yellow jackets are a concern. Was out a few weeks ago and got close to a nest. Not close enough to have them "attack", but close enough to know I didn't need to be there....:laughing:

Here it's not woods-- it's jungle.

And instead of bees we get these (suzumebachi-- japanese giant hornet).

I actually was hunting in the jungle and saw some movement out of the corner of my eye-- turned to look and realized I was standing not more than 2 meters from a basketball-sized nest like that one, with enormous hornets casually flying in and out of it (somehow not yet alarmed by my presence).

They (and their nest) were so huge and cartoonishly colorful that at first I just stood staring, trying to figure out if I was dreaming or tripping or what. Then I remembered that these things actually exist (I had never encountered them in person-- they're pretty rare on this island) so I slowly backed away until I was far enough away to run for my life.

If I hadn't looked up when I did, I could easily have walked into that nest-- and I might not have made it out of the jungle that day. This things are not messing around.

Oh, and no-- those aren't my pictures. I definitely did not have the guts to take a camera out while I was looking death in the face.

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 436
  • suzumebachi2.jpg
    suzumebachi2.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 435
I did a search on the web and found this about natural bee repellent -

Bees and wasps
Ingredients that repel:

Tea tree oil: Said to be one of the best natural ways to repel bees and wasps, you can dab a bit of tea tree oil on yourself or on any area you would like the bees avoid.

......we use tea tree oil as an antiseptic sometimes and I heard before that many insects are repelled by it, and I prefer natural over using chemicals.

It has a strong smell but it's not unpleasant, just strong. Just dab a little behind the ears :lol:

I feel your pain! Got into yellow jackets a few weeks ago, kicked back the leaves and unleased hell. Got hom and had 3 under my shirt.. No fun when that happens.

The last time that I ran into any bees was when I was mowing my lawn. I usually run into ants when digging a find. They are crawling all over your legs before you realize it.

The last time that I ran into any bees was when I was mowing my lawn. I usually run into ants when digging a find. They are crawling all over your legs before you realize it.

Do you get the fire ants there ?

Fire ant mounds are usually pretty obvious, just have to remember to watch where you are walking.
animated-ant-image-0028.gif :shock: :lol:

When I stayed there in FL for a few weeks 2 months ago I was out in the grass in shorts and got completely ate up by something my buddy said you FL people call no-see-ums. I thought he was joking on the name and had to look it up, man what a pain in the $%! those things are! Not as bad as turkey mites but still a pain to deal with.

Thanks, It's already funny though. I was laughing at myself for stepping on dead logs before I reached my truck and killed the last ones that made it in with my. The bees didn't hurt more than my pride did.

Your right, I wasn't very hungry for dinner. On the bright side 34 is my new high score! :laughing:

I probably would have had to go to the ER... Mild allergy to them.

Last time I got hit by a wasp, it was directly inside the nose on the middle cartilage. Swelled up like a golfball, and raised my front lip. Made me laugh at myself pretty good. I walked around telling people I had a death sentence in 12 systems!

:)

Skippy

I've never been bit by yellow jacket but I have been bit by bees--- just one or two at a time. The worst bites I have ever experienced was from chiggers. I was in Missouri a couple of Summers ago, staying at a friends house. I'm a smoker so every couple of hours I went outside to smoke. Well, the first day I didn't sit anywhere in their backyard. The second day I sat down on some concrete steps next to some tomato plants. That night I was awoken about 2am with both my legs INTENSELY itching. I've never experienced anything like that before! I probably had thirty bites on each leg. I got something at Walmart right after they opened & it greatly relieved the itching. I have several scars on my legs due to bouts of deep & vary satisfying scratching.

Ouch!!! I recently got a swarm of "killer" bees in my lawn and I actually had to call 911 about it. They still got me a couple times, lots of pain for such a small insect.

I work a few miles from one of the oldest and largest Puritan settlements from the 1600s and along a main route used since early 1700s that was moved when they paved it for cars. I hit the woods at lunch sometimes.

And no making fun of the hair!

:lol: Alright alright...
Yeah I'd hit that place too,no telling what might be hiding in there. Maybe something truly historically valuable or just a great conversation piece!

My first encounter with chiggers was in Va, Had 120 of them from my belt down. I have been stung by honey bees, Wasps, Yellow jackets and hornets but I honestly do not know what a mud wasp is.

Back
Top Bottom