Heading to Oahu

Yeki

Forum Supporter
Hello All!

This is a duplicate post. I posted in the wrong thread this morning:no:.

I'm heading to Oahu in a couple of weeks to visit my sister in law. I'm hoping to get away on my own a couple of times during the week to do a little MD'ing. Unfortunately, I have no beach hunting experience and even if I did, I have only my F2 which will limit me to dry land. I guess my first question is... Will I still be likely to have a good, productive, fun time with the F2? Secondly... would it be worth it to rent a more specialized unit while I'm there, considering lack of experience and a possible learning curve? Thirdly... Anyone familiar with the island that has any pointers on places to hunt considering my limited hunting time? I will be staying on base at Schofield Barracks.

Thanks in advance for the help!!!!

Hey Yeki, Go on utube and type in home made sand scoops. There's a guy who live's on Oahu. He name is Pat. Maybe you can look him up when you get there. Or some how write to him before you go. I think he sells detecting stuff. He can probably get you started over there.

I am unfamiliar w/ Hawaii. If you do end up relegated to the dry sand (and that's not necessarily all that bad) w/ your F2 I'd suggest hitting high traffic areas like beach access ramps. Today's wind and tides didn't leave me anywhere to hunt but mushy deep wet and a thin stip of decent dry. I was able to get in about 1 hour or so of hunting, and pulled 5 quarters, 5 dimes, and 2 nickels all at the base of a beach access walk. If I'd had time, I would have just gone along and hit up every access ramp.

Hopefully someone from the islands will chime in with some advice that is a bit more specific.

Good luck and happy hunting!

Thanks everyone for the tips. I think Ive seen the homemade scoop before. I'll check him out.

Ike, I have as much beach experience as you do...lol. Wish I could help. Enjoy yourself and have a great time when you go to Oahu.

"I will be staying on base at Schofield Barracks."

If I'm not mistaken, Schofield Barracks has been around since before WWII. Might be some worthwhile hunting there if they allow it! HH!

"I will be staying on base at Schofield Barracks."

If I'm not mistaken, Schofield Barracks has been around since before WWII. Might be some worthwhile hunting there if they allow it! HH!

Pretty sure that would be a no go...

Just got back from 10 days on the beach in Maui and I only hunted the dry beach with an Ace 150 because I was afraid to pack my E-Trac. There were hunters in the water making some great gold finds. They were both using Minelab Excaliburs and had 5 foot long sand sifters. Sometimes they were in water up to their shoulders. Very professional and very good hunters. Didn't get their names. Have a great trip!

You can hunt Schofield Barracks. I live on Wheeler AAF...the only thing I would recommend is that you stop by the Military Police HQs and let them know that you will be detecting around the base, especially if you are going to hit the field in front of the 25th ID HQs (there is silver there)......I wouldn't recommend the housing areas because they are all new with the exception of the 1940's housing (called the Stuccos and Woodies). I have found numerous silver around the older housing but always ask permission of the residents if you are going to be hunting around their house.

Paul

Hello All!

This is a duplicate post. I posted in the wrong thread this morning:no:.

I'm heading to Oahu in a couple of weeks to visit my sister in law. I'm hoping to get away on my own a couple of times during the week to do a little MD'ing. Unfortunately, I have no beach hunting experience and even if I did, I have only my F2 which will limit me to dry land. I guess my first question is... Will I still be likely to have a good, productive, fun time with the F2? Secondly... would it be worth it to rent a more specialized unit while I'm there, considering lack of experience and a possible learning curve? Thirdly... Anyone familiar with the island that has any pointers on places to hunt considering my limited hunting time? I will be staying on base at Schofield Barracks.

Thanks in advance for the help!!!!

Back
Top Bottom