PB Blaster to loosen parts

pplinker

Forum Supporter
Found a vintage cap pistol last week from the 50's or 60's. After getting all the dirt out of it the trigger and hammer were in good condition. The cog wheel was rusted solid. Had it out on a newspaper on the kitchen table and every time I thought about it, would give it a spray. The can says shake well and tap gently and be patient. After about three days I took a flat tip screwdriver and held against a cog arm and tapped the screwdriver and felt the cog turn:D

Pretty happy with that success. The pistol had probably been in the ground half a century.

Attachments

• DSC00209.JPG
    DSC00209.JPG
    162.7 KB · Views: 870
  • DSC00211.JPG
    DSC00211.JPG
    161.8 KB · Views: 694
  • DSC00212.JPG
    DSC00212.JPG
    161.8 KB · Views: 675
Its amazing what the stuff can do, just has a strong odor. Been using it since 2000, helps break free those rusted frozen nuts on wheel studs.

pb_blaster.png

The #1-selling penetrant since 1957, PB B'laster quickly busts loose rusted or frozen parts caused by rust and corrosion. It also contains a non-evaporating lubricant that saves time and equipment and protects against further rust and corrosion.

Features

#1-Selling Penetrant
Breaks Free Rusted or Frozen Parts
Protects Against Further Rust and Corrosion
Use on Automotive, Industrial, Marine, Plumbing & Other Equipment

Another PB Blaster fan. Superb penetrant.

Great stuff, always a couple of cans around here, from cap Guns to Bulldozers,Sure worked on that capgun PPlinker, cool find.

Congrats with the nice find! I have found one of those myself.

Attachments

• 2204FDC4-9A13-457A-8881-5F41CD6D1DA6.jpg
    2204FDC4-9A13-457A-8881-5F41CD6D1DA6.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 648
  • 4E39D453-2CED-4485-9D75-A0D3B12C9E4D.jpg
    4E39D453-2CED-4485-9D75-A0D3B12C9E4D.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 637
Looks like yours in in a little better shape than mine, Bruinvikes. I had a hard time reading the name Hawkeye on mine, I thought it said Hawke and couldn't find any cap gun with the name hawke. Good find.

The general consensus of opinion among old car and tractor folks is that the most effective penetrant for applications such as this is a 50/50 mixture of acetone and automatic transmission fluid. Try it, you'll like it.

Do you think the PB Blaster would work to get 2 pieces of aluminum shaft apart that have seemingly been stuck together by dried up saltwater?

Probably depends on the length that the two parts are stuck together. Prop the pieces up so when you spray it the liquid can seep down the inside piece and keep tapping it lightly every once in a while. Let it set and keep spraying it occasionally.

But if you used the acetone/transmission mix mentioned above you could put the parts in a long tray and completely soak them. If you don't have a long tray you could use a piece of PVC pipe and close off one end and insert your aluminum shafts and fill with the liquid and soak for a long time.

What are the aluminum shafts for?

The general consensus of opinion among old car and tractor folks is that the most effective penetrant for applications such as this is a 50/50 mixture of acetone and automatic transmission fluid. Try it, you'll like it.
This is a great mix, I do it outside though or the fumes will have you flying high!

Probably depends on the length that the two parts are stuck together. Prop the pieces up so when you spray it the liquid can seep down the inside piece and keep tapping it lightly every once in a while. Let it set and keep spraying it occasionally.

But if you used the acetone/transmission mix mentioned above you could put the parts in a long tray and completely soak them. If you don't have a long tray you could use a piece of PVC pipe and close off one end and insert your aluminum shafts and fill with the liquid and soak for a long time.

What are the aluminum shafts for?

They are two pieces of a travel aluminum scoop shaft. they are STUCK...lol

Back
Top Bottom