• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

First Find - Indian Ear Spool?

Pamlico

My new ACE 250 arrived this afternoon. Put it together and headed out to the yard. I live on what I call virgin land on a creek off the river. I'm the first to build a house on it however, clearly I'm not the first to live on it. I've found a good bit of Indian artifacts near the waters edge.

After hunting for about 20 minutes near an area that I have found pottery and other Indian artifacts I got my first signal. After digging about 7 inches I found what I believe is a copper Indian ear spool. Also found a smaller copper disc about 15 feet away. Darkness set in - cant wait to get back out there.

Attachments

• Ear Spool.jpg
    Ear Spool.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 286
Last edited:
Sounds like you're enjoying this hobby! Congratulations on your new detector and good luck!

Interesting! How thick is it? What does the edge look like?

Its about the same thickness as a 1/2 dollar. The smaller piece is about the same a dime. I scratched the edge when I was digging, and where I scratched it, its like a shinny new penny. Its mostly covered in green corrosion. I can tell the hole was punched thru.

I did some research on the web, saw several that look just like it. After reading up on Indians and copper I was taken back on how old these can be. I believe the Indians in my area were run out after the Tuscarora War around 1714. Some articles I read lead me to believe they could be much older.

I'm not quite sure what your find is --but it may very well be an Indian artifact. Where you live definitely has a lot of history which includes pirate activity including Blackbeard :cool:

Back
Top Bottom