We were insulted on ESPN

His loss of dignity would obviously come as a result of the visual of a sports commentator attempting to put down his coffee, get out of his seat, walk out on the field, and bend over to actually pick up a coin. The mere thought of doing this is exhausting to some of them. I'm sure that's what he meant. :roll:

I view reporters far below the upstanding pirate. Bet I found more nice stuff with my metal detector this year than he did running his big mouth. Dignity??? Didn't know that Pirates worried about dignity.

Arrrrr! You be right.

Many people believe detecting is only good for running to the beach when sun worshippers and swimmers leave. That we are only concerned with making money off some poor young girl that lost her ring.(There's nothing wrong with beach hunting at all,) or long lost jewelry I've had so many stare at me blank, unbelieving, and lost when I tell them I roam around the woods and trails or parks. They don't understand the why we do this. History, outdoor activity, coin collecting, ex..... I've had a few laugh." Old man looking for change". '' or the day the Connecticut preppy looking chick who must have been an LLBean model,,,,exclaimed "Idiot looking for treasure, Here!"..... Ok, so that one got to me a bit.
I've worked with News/media people and a lot of them act very Snippy, higher ups, so above us. I wish I was above all this. Truth is they get to me. People and their snide remarks. In fact that's one reason I detect. You can easily do it alone.;)

It's fine. ESPN gave up their dignity years ago when they started turning their channel into a tabloid and political mouthpiece. At least we're the ones making money.
I agree, they are no longer on my Dish Favorites list.
Marvin

disrespect

I only let people talk and as far as dignity is concerned I'd rather be ridiculed and rich rather than dignified and bored. Tom you should see how people who laugh at the hobby turn real serious when I tell them about things I've found now that's dignity. As far as talk is concerned everyone always has something bad to say about anyone that's life and most of those NFL players are kids anyway and they don't stand for the flag. I don't watch football anymore because of it. I have a lot of veteran friends that deserve more respect than this act of defiance I see. No NFL for me I would have no dignity if I watch football. I'll just take my dignity to an old park better than watching disrespect unfold before my eyes.

Not a football fan anyway , even less after our team (the Rams )pulled up root and left us high and dry with a empty stadum to pay for. I feel disrespected anytime i see professional players disrespect the flag, as well as high school and collage school teams being supported by my tax dollars doing it. . While i didn't serve my self ,my dad did in World War II .

I found a half dollar coin by a high school football field 50 yard line recently! Didn't lose any dignity at all!
:laughing:

I found the ESPN comment to be quite amusing, and I'm just ignoring any insult that may or may not have been intended. Personally, though, I cannot picture experiencing much loss of dignity if I "saved the day" by recovering the NFL's coin (in a couple minutes with a $50 detector). :lol:

That ESPN half-wit reporter is probably someone that never even tips a waiter or cabby.

Geeky hobby

x2. I busted up laughing when I read this. Ok ... so this is a geeky hobby. Next question please ?

When my wife and I bought our first home (blt. 1963 or so), a week or so later, as we're moving in, I said "I'm going to detect our yard". She said "what if someone sees you?" As if that's a social pariah thing to do :?: ?? haha !

My wife felt pretty much the same way, so I stopped detecting for a few decades. 40 years later, I'm back and who cares what others think.

Metal detecting is far from the biggest hit my dignity has taken. This is the wife's scooter. I'm always having to take it on test rides or to gas up. It seems like every time I gas up the Hell's Angels are gassing up too.

pink scooter.jpg

Metal detecting is far from the biggest hit my dignity has taken. This is the wife's scooter. I'm always having to take it on test rides or to gas up. It seems like every time I gas up the Hell's Angels are gassing up too.

View attachment 401857

Hey, that just shows how VERY much you really love your wife ! :yes:

.....I hope she realizes just how much of a dignity sacrifice you are doing for her :lol:

You gotta love the tent, shed, milk crates, and the wire spool table...fat little dogs in the background..damned old birdhouse on a pole even!

Backyard Americana Personified!!

About the best total pic ever!:laughing: The dichotomy is just too surreal...No topping this one!

Theres just so much "Wrong" with this picture, a guy could look at it for hours! White Clover struggling for survival up through the creeping Jimmy yard! Let alone you on the Mary Kay pink scooter! With those skinny legs and socks! It should be displayed in the Oppenheimer museum! Titled: "No Dignity"

Brown tarp high pitched home made wood shed, let alone the store bought mower house! Doors wide open on account of it takes too much effort to close them!...Tree all overgrown with Poison Ivy! Hilariously Tragic! Its an Ansel Adams masterpiece of a photo!! If you had a metal detector slung over your shoulder, and a boyscout canteen, that would about do it!

I like it just the way it is though...Tell me where to send the money and I'll order a print!..or hell, I'll just save myself some money and take a selfie!

I gotta party with you someday Cowboy, thats about the awfullest thing I've ever seen today!! :laughing::laughing:

Last edited:
You gotta love the tent, shed, milk crates, and the wire spool table...fat little dogs in the background..damned old birdhouse on a pole even!

About the best total pic ever!:laughing: The dichotomy is just too surreal...No topping this one!

Theres just so much "Wrong" with this picture, a guy could look at it for hours! White Clover struggling for survival up through the creeping Jimmy yard! Let alone you on the Mary Kay pink scooter! With those skinny legs and socks! It should be displayed in the Oppenheimer museum! Titled: "No Dignity"

Brown tarp high pitched home made wood shed, let alone the store bought mower house! Doors wide open on account of it takes too much effort to close them!...Tree all overgrown with Poison Ivy! Hilariously Tragic! Its an Ansel Adams masterpiece of a photo!! If you had a metal detector slung over your shoulder, and a boyscout canteen, that would about do it!

I like it just the way it is though...Tell me where to send the money and I'll order a print!..or hell, I'll just save myself some money and take a selfie!

I gotta party with you someday Cowboy, thats about the awfullest thing I've ever seen today!! :laughing::laughing:

That's not a tent, it's a motorcycle paint booth complete with squirrel cage blower. The wood shed is a pheasant pen built with a chainsaw, a pile of scrap lumber and a case of PBR. The small spool is my portable workbench. You can't see the larger spool that is wrapped with hardware cloth and used as a brooder coop. Milk crates have to be the most versatile piece of equipment ever stolen, motorcycle stand, tool caddie, and seat all in one. You may want to party with me, but I bet your'e glad you don't live next door. My own dog hides her head in shame.

ashamed dog.jpg

I got 2 sheds like that, one for push mowers and misc stuff, the other for my riding lawn tractor.

.......hey, maybe that tent doubles as his retreat at times when he is in trouble with the wife :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Back
Top Bottom