First cache Space Coast!!

pjsouthflorida

Found my fill of silver in the surf yesterday! The necklace is .925 Italian. The coins were all found in a zip lock bag about 12" down in 2' of water. You didn't think I dug all those one by one did you?:lol:

Attachments

• cache2.jpg
    cache2.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 439
Nice necklace! What did it sound like? Congrats on the silver:yes:

The necklace was very loud, crisp and clean. About 3" down in one foot of water. The coins, interestingly enough, sounded like one single coin that might be near the surface...go figure. I have spent months and months trying to hone my skills at second guessing the tones...I am finding that one particular type of metal will sound differently depending on where your pulse delay is set. That is why I always try to run at the same delay setting and play only with the gain depending on wether the beach is sanded in or not. Lower gain (just a little above preset) for good conditions...the DF seems to be more sensitive to gold at lower gain settings.

The necklace was very loud, crisp and clean. About 3" down in one foot of water. The coins, interestingly enough, sounded like one single coin that might be near the surface...go figure. I have spent months and months trying to hone my skills at second guessing the tones...I am finding that one particular type of metal will sound differently depending on where your pulse delay is set. That is why I always try to run at the same delay setting and play only with the gain depending on wether the beach is sanded in or not. Lower gain (just a little above preset) for good conditions...the DF seems to be more sensitive to gold at lower gain settings.

I bet it was loud! That thing is thick! Ive been running my settings pretty much the same although I haven't really tried running low gain for fear of missing something. I messed around with some air testing and have found that it is pointless in determining what sounds like what at different distances. Its totally different in the field. Items that wouldn't register at 6 inches will sound off at over a foot in the sand. I Might try tying a string to the gold ring I found this weekend and messing with different depths in the wet sand at different gain settings and test your theory about the gold sensitivity at lower gain. Thanks!

I bet it was loud! That thing is thick! Ive been running my settings pretty much the same although I haven't really tried running low gain for fear of missing something. I messed around with some air testing and have found that it is pointless in determining what sounds like what at different distances. Its totally different in the field. Items that wouldn't register at 6 inches will sound off at over a foot in the sand. I Might try tying a string to the gold ring I found this weekend and messing with different depths in the wet sand at different gain settings and test your theory about the gold sensitivity at lower gain. Thanks!

I know what you mean about air testing the DF! Also..when I first bought this machine I was at the beach maybe 4 days a week for about 3 months...I ran it HOT - the gain cranked to 3 or 4 o'clock. It worked great and I found lot's of stuff ...ALL silver...not one piece of gold!! And try to take sterling to a jeweler or pawn shop..most don't even want it! I started to think I had just wasted a lot of money on a not so hot machine. Then I picked up Clive Clynic's book on the DF and he suggests not running hot if you want to detect light gold...which he says the DF will miss if running wide open because you have it too busy analyzing the ground and not sensing low conductive metals like gold. Took his advice and began to find gold!:D You can check out some of my previous posts for a sample of some of the gold I have been finding. The DF is an AWSOME machine but I think it has a huge learning curve and I am still on that curve haha...but that is half the fun - right?:yes:

I know what you mean about air testing the DF! Also..when I first bought this machine I was at the beach maybe 4 days a week for about 3 months...I ran it HOT - the gain cranked to 3 or 4 o'clock. It worked great and I found lot's of stuff ...ALL silver...not one piece of gold!! And try to take sterling to a jeweler or pawn shop..most don't even want it! I started to think I had just wasted a lot of money on a not so hot machine. Then I picked up Clive Clynic's book on the DF and he suggests not running hot if you want to detect light gold...which he says the DF will miss if running wide open because you have it too busy analyzing the ground and not sensing low conductive metals like gold. Took his advice and began to find gold!:D You can check out some of my previous posts for a sample of some of the gold I have been finding. The DF is an AWSOME machine but I think it has a huge learning curve and I am still on that curve haha...but that is half the fun - right?:yes:

Oh man I wish I could get out 4 days a week! Jealous! :lol: I got pulsepower, guess I need to read it again, lol. Learning new things is fun, mastering them even better!:lol: Best of luck and looking forward to more posts.

Oh man I wish I could get out 4 days a week! Jealous! :lol: I got pulsepower, guess I need to read it again, lol. Learning new things is fun, mastering them even better!:lol: Best of luck and looking forward to more posts.

My schedule at school changed after that 3 months and I am lucky to get out 2 days a week...and after that schedule change is when I started finding an occasional piece of gold...Maybe just luck but I'd rather think it is more about learning how a pulse machine sees the ground underneath the coil. One thing I know is I have found some extremely small metal at 18" without running the machine hot...so what does that tell you about the DF's abilities?
Good luck to you my man and keep diggin':grin:

Back
Top Bottom