How would you handle this situation?

DaveandBlitz

My nephew and I went to a local tot lot today for a little swing time. We were accosted by this Idiot who seemed to take special offense to what we were doing. He actually took pictures of us "in case some thing comes up missing"! Among the namecalling he informed me I looked like a bum walking around with that thing and we shouldn't be allowed there where his kid goes to school. I kept my cool and never raised my voice and even waived for the picture. He stormed off to call the sheriff. All I told him was that if I have to talk to a sheriff I will be asking that he be cited for harassment or distubing the peace. It's been a long time since I've come that close to flattening a guys nose for him.:mad:

You done good. Did the Sheriff ever come?

If someone takes blatant pics or vid of me for 'proof', I would do the same. Take a pic of them.

You handled it o.k. If the sheriff did show up, I hope you stayed and talked. The other guy clearly has issues. There are plenty of morons out there that don't understand the hobby, so don't get to upset and keep detecting.

Good job bud

As said before you did the right thing, he did not have a valid reason to act like that. The Sheriff would probably have heard more moronic blab and may have cited him for disturbing or something. Flattening hid nose is a good thought if you leave it there without action. I had a similar run in with a guy that was in a line for cheap gas here and really got stupid to me, the only thing that saved him was his young girl in the car. I didn't want to knock him out in front of her, was all I could do to not. He was really, going off cussing and getting into my non comfort zone thinking I cut into line. He actually pulled in behind me, just forgot I guess. His girl finally told him we were there before them. I just had to remember how easy it would be to put him down and walked away. he will run into a guy someday that wont stand for it, and it will not be pretty.

I don't think there's anything else you could have done. It sounds like you handled it well. I've run into people like that in the past (though not when metal detecting). It's too bad there are people like that out there, just waiting to ruin other people's fun. :(

Ya done good. If he had called the cops I would
d have told the cop to please cite him for harassment or disturbing the peace. Good job.

had somthing like this happen i got out my phone an hit record an played it back to the cop dont know what he did or told the guy but it worked.
i say this to (some peoples kids):lol: i know people can make you mad with words but you held your cool there are a lot of people need the nose punch
but that would be more truble for you. you did good.

mud dauber out

Thanks for the input. The sheriff hasn't contacted me yet and I doubt they will. I think I may file an incident report anyway. I detect at that school often, and I think by filing a report on this guy it will help if he does it again. At least if his nose gets flattened they will know he is the instigator...has a history so to speak.

he will run into a guy someday that wont stand for it, and it will not be pretty.

I'm that guy! :wow: Dave, I don't know how you did it. I have a hair trigger in a confrontational situation anyways and that would have put me over the edge! I woulda (once again) slowly took off my jacket, then instigated the pecker head into throwing a punch at me. At that point I'd tie him up in a freakin knot with that jacket and beat his a** good for him. The more witnesses the better in a situation like this so play it by feel. ;) Can always use the video from phone for proof if lacking witnesses also. ;) Thank god I haven't ran into anyone like that while detecting but I do have a habit of running into people like that on occasion for some reason. My gf blames it on me?! :?: W T F?

i think you handled it quite well! :yes:
i've got a really short fuse for idiots too. the last one i encountered was a woman who informed me that children play on the field where i was "digging" all these holes. i politely asked her if she'd like me to put back all the stuff i just removed from the ground?
a slight change of tune came over her when she asked me "what kinds of stuff?"
after describing some of the sharps i'd just recovered from this area "where kids play", she had a total about-face and actually thanked me.
i simply politely, but firmly educated her as to what i was doing and stood my ground in the process. :yes:

it's kind of funny though, when people say they will call the authorities. from many of the stories i've read on here, it seems like most of them are simply bluffing in order to use that as a tool thinking it will intimidate people to leave.
if you're within your rights by being at any given place, then you've got nothing to fear. if you leave, then the troublemakers win.

Sounds like you handled it well.

Dont get physical with anybody.

I have a real long fuse and probably would have laughed at the guy.. maybe struck a pose when he took my picture, or just plain old ignored him like he was not even there.

You did good. My young neighbor girl (30ish) who sometimes hunts with me handles it a little differently. "just turn around, walk away, and fart a rainbow at him. It'll make you feel better." :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Wise beyond her years.

Dave-&-Blitz, your story just goes to show: We md'rs will never be able to please all the people, all the time. There's always the risk that "someone won't like it". Sheesk, and even in a tot lot for pete's sake (where you'd think no damage could be done). Because they think we're opportunistically "taking" things from unfortunate people who lost valuables. Or that you're about to leave holes, etc.... Heck, for all you know that griper could have been someone in the city govt. or park bureaucracy !

So as much as I'd like every last person to love & adore my hobby, I've decided to accept reality, that it will never happen. So sometimes the best tactic is to give lip service, and avoid such individuals, rather than running around trying to get love & approvals for ourselves.

i had a guy tell me when he goes to tot lots, before he heads to the lot he puts a live bullet a razor blade , and even a piece of a crack pipe sometimes...it kinda changes peoples mind when u tell em "see look what i found" on the tot lot...then they change the attitude most of the time!!
hes even got thank yous from people who started out complaining

Back
Top Bottom