Old Dump Site Found in Woods need advice

muerte33

This is representative of the 100 or so bottles I found yesterday and today at an old dump site in the woods. Is this old enough to pursue any further, or is it target practice material?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• bottles1.jpg
    bottles1.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 770
How do you define "worth"? If you want to make money, not sure. But, if it's to find cool looking bottles, in great shape, you're off to a good start.....

As I said before on other threads, i'd dig them all but that's just me. May not be worth much but they are just cool looking bottles and who knows what you may uncover as you dig down deeper. I'd also swing a metal detector too, you never know what else may have been discarded. Best of luck!

Muerte33, those look like mid 1920s to 1930s era. Not worth much to bottle collectors (there's SO many of these type bottles out there) but the cobalt blue bottles - women like those. When out in the woods watch for old soda pop and milk bottles, some of the milks are really desirable in their local areas, especially if from small local bottlers. Also old punch top and cone top beer cans, though good specimens are getting very hard to find anymore.

Went back to the dump site today, and found some more.
Milk bottle says sealed 1/11/14 on it, but on the bottom it has 42 on it.
I thought that blue bottle with the texture on it was a Milk of Magnesia, but I guess I was wrong.

Attachments

• bottle2.jpg
    bottle2.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 491
You know, only you can decide if it's worth hunting that site more. If you are enjoying the finds, having fun researching them, and like displaying them, then absolutely, it's worth every second! If you are looking to get rich off of them, and think it's a pain digging them out, then I'd suggest moving on.

It looks like you're having fun, tho, so I say go for it!!

The bottles look like they would have a resale value. They sure cleaned up nice for being out in the elements.

Dude..... those bottles are in good shape. Look at some of me junker old bottles I have kept in my photo album. Mine are all old, scratched up. Found in the ground or under piles of wood or in parts of buildings still standing. Yours are in good shape. Don't even think about using them for target practice. Congrats on the find.........

Dude..... those bottles are in good shape. Look at some of me junker old bottles I have kept in my photo album. Mine are all old, scratched up. Found in the ground or under piles of wood or in parts of buildings still standing. Yours are in good shape. Don't even think about using them for target practice. Congrats on the find.........

agreed, hang on to them because once they're gone (shot), they're gone for good! :yes:

Went back to the dump site today, and found some more.
Milk bottle says sealed 1/11/14 on it, but on the bottom it has 42 on it.
I thought that blue bottle with the texture on it was a Milk of Magnesia, but I guess I was wrong.

Looks like turn of the century to about 1940s... bottles although the little medicine bottle on the left of your second picture looks like it could be late 1800s.

Don't knock some of the newer bottles. I have seen older soda and milk bottles go for insane prices.

If it in a cut or ravine, the best and oldest will be in the bottom. The older will have had corks top. Older bottle may have been hand blown. Some will have funny looking openings, and embossing also. Nice finds. Any old mason jars, with the bottom mold # 13 is hard to come by.;) DO YOU KNOW WHAT TYPE OF BUILDING WERE AROUND THE DUMP, WHEN ESTABLISHED?

Embossed milk bottles are always a plus, brown or green ones even better.
Alway dig as deep as possible to see if the newer bottles are hiding an older bottle dump.

Attachments

• abottles1.jpg
    abottles1.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 461
Most milks have a two-digit date on the bottom, but many are so lightly embossed in the glass they're hard to see. On other bottles, if the seams go all the way to the top they are ABM (Automatic Bottle Machine) and would be circa 1915 and later. Older bottles' seams stop before the tops. Also bubbles in the glass would indicate pre-ABM.

Probably an old home site nearby. Rumor has it there is another dump site within 1/2 mile in a dense jungle, and there was a grist mill within a mile. I did find LOTS of small canning jars with the porcelain lid seals, but there were so many, I could not haul them out. I concentrated on the ones that were unique. I really would like to know what the cobalt blue ridged bottle is. I thought initially it was Milk of Magnesia, but I cannot find any online that look like that one in the Milk of Magnesia lore.
I would love to find some bottles like SVEN displayed!

digging those old bottles looks like a blast to me. Even if it's to mix things up a little. Garage sales and people who do crafts or just like bottles in the window to collect sunlight. Might not be high collar bottles but 5-10 each. That adds up in my book!

I've spent a lot of time hunting and digging clad pennies and nickels. Just the sheer variety of types and colors would keep me entertained. Hope you score in the jungle too. Never know what you will find down deep.

Thanks for sharing!!

Back
Top Bottom