• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

More cavalry camp finds

gtoast99

Forum Supporter
Hey ya'll. Just a few more finds from the yankee cavalry camp I've been hunting with my friend Dustin. It was a yucky, wet, muddy mess out there but we did pretty good for a day's hunt. I got into one little spot that was loaded with pistol bullets. Everything else was kindof spread out. The penny is corroded on the front right where the date is, but it's a fat penny, so I know it's a war date. The three ringer is the first to come out of that camp, and turned out to be a Washington arsenal.

I'm pretty sure the top middle bullet is a Merrill Carbine, if anyone can confirm.

Also, any thoughts on what I should do to clean/preserve the iron rowel on the spur?

Thanks for lookin :D

Attachments

• finds.JPG
    finds.JPG
    53.2 KB · Views: 521
  • coin and spur.JPG
    coin and spur.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 482
I would juice for about two hours then toothpick itz then parifin wax treat and see how it turns out... Can do too much harm. If there's any stable metal at least it won't further corrod.

Good Finds

It's really hard to tell by the picture, the image looks a tad washed out.

If its around .52 then its a Merrill and if its closer to .56 then its a Spencer.

Great job!

Yea, sorry for the lousy pics. I laid everything out for the photo, and by the time I actually took it the sun had gone down and the lighting was terrible. LOL. Oh well, ya'll get the point! Thanks for the help, I'll get the calipers out to confirm.

Nice Bullet assortment, plus a epaulet key, and a Rowel that survived this long and looks like a nice roll of lead seals at the bottom.

Great digs, Bill

Nice Bullet assortment, plus a epaulet key, and a Rowel that survived this long and looks like a nice roll of lead seals at the bottom.

Thanks! Second epaulette key, and one of the other bar attachment. But only one button from this site!

The round bits at the bottom are actually bases from brass cartridges. We've found way more bases than bullets - but I know it was hunted before back in the day, and I think the bullets were easier to pick out than the bases with older equipment. And yes, we did make one too many "all about the base" jokes in the field :lol:

Back
Top Bottom