Alright guys/girls! I need some feedback!

gr33ko

I'm going to be making a custom metal (aluminum probably) sandscoop or maybe just another useful tool. And I was wondering if you wanted to pitch in your ideas for improvements/ideas! This will not be a prototype style DIY project. I own a plasmacam and it will be cut PERFECTLY to specs.

Lets see how much support I can get on this and maybe I'll produce them exclusively for the FMDF forum members! :)

Here is a video of a plasmacam in action (not mine) but i have the same model.

Lets get the ball rollin on this!

I'm positive I can beat those outrageous prices. But that being said is there any ideas? Maybe a new handy tool!?

That machine is pretty sick! Would be great to find a more affordable scoop! The biggest thing would be to have a strong footpeg on the backside with holes small enough to keep smaller items like earring studs at the bottom, yet still able to pass enough sand/silt/mud/pebbles and not clog up. Look forward to seeing the end product!

So here's what I'm thinking.

Solid shaft (3 ft)
All aluminum
Braced rear end (for foot pressure)
25 degree angled downward
6 Inch Opening
1/4" holes along the sides

3/16" holes along bottom (and bottom of back) should catch earing studs like you want but you're going to have more pebbles.

Let's get some more feedback! 90+ views an d 4 replies! It doesn't have to be just scoops! I need input. I don't want to put out another "copycat" product.

THIS IS GOING TO BE TAILOR MADE TO SUIT YOUR NEEDS!

Any chance of all aluminum but with a stainless leading edge. i live in a not so sandy area and would love a scoop for my area. Lots on rocks and pebbles here. I think aluminum would wear to fast. WOLF

Also it would be cool if the handle had an angle adjustment set up. i know all this adds weight but if is an in-water scoop it could be compensated using some sort of bouant material. WOLF

Any chance of all aluminum but with a stainless leading edge. i live in a not so sandy area and would love a scoop for my area. Lots on rocks and pebbles here. I think aluminum would wear to fast. WOLF

Its a good idea about keeping weight down and rigidity up but if you mix salt water, aluminum, and steel it creates galvanic corrosion. It wouldn't last very long :(

Unless you isolate the two materials from one another. In the marine industry we use apoxies and rubber to isolate one from the other. WOLF

Alright heres the flat pattern concept for the scoop with SMALL holes on the bottom to catch earrings and studs. HTown's idea. I'm working on the back now it will have the same type of pattern from bottom to top, small to big.

Now obviously this design will change after field testing but it's a "sneak peak"

The bottom actually has more material but the program cut it off when the picture was made.

This design is definitely going to be picking up more rocks and pebbles, but you wont miss out on the small stuff! Is it really worth the trade?! You tell me!

Unless you isolate the two materials from one another. In the marine industry we use apoxies and rubber to isolate one from the other. WOLF

True, but then we cant weld or braze it and that pretty much leaves rivets and then we're back to square one again. If you can think of a way let me know! But we're still trying to be cost effective. Unless you guys want a BEEFY blows everything away kind of scoop... I can make that too! :):yes:

True, but then we cant weld or braze it and that pretty much leaves rivets and then we're back to square one again. If you can think of a way let me know! But we're still trying to be cost effective. Unless you guys want a BEEFY blows everything away kind of scoop... I can make that too! :):yes:

I hear ya. K, stick with the basics. I'll adapt later. The holes are good. I agree with smaller towards the middle so ya don't lose the little stuff. How about a slightly more pointed front edge though. Just wondering if the blunt tip would be hard to work into something more than sand. WOLF

Just my 2 cents: I like having the wood handle on my scoop. It is a hoe/shovel handle. Light enough, bouyant and does not get blistering hot like metal handels I have had. The handle is connected to the scoop with U bolts. A good heavy duty kick plate is a must. The only thing about mine I would really want changed is to redesign it so that when I drag it behind me it wont fill with sand. Darn thing gets heavy! Is the aluminum stock thick enough to take the rigors of digging packed sand and shell/pebble areas.

I hear ya. K, stick with the basics. I'll adapt later. The holes are good. I agree with smaller towards the middle so ya don't lose the little stuff. How about a slightly more pointed front edge though. Just wondering if the blunt tip would be hard to work into something more than sand. WOLF

Hows that? I know its perfectly round when flat but when its turned into a cylinder it should work pretty well as a point.

Just my 2 cents: I like having the wood handle on my scoop. It is a hoe/shovel handle. Light enough, bouyant and does not get blistering hot like metal handels I have had. The handle is connected to the scoop with U bolts. A good heavy duty kick plate is a must. The only thing about mine I would really want changed is to redesign it so that when I drag it behind me it wont fill with sand. Darn thing gets heavy! Is the aluminum stock thick enough to take the rigors of digging packed sand and shell/pebble areas.

I think with the smaller holes on the bottom that should prevent as much sand from getting in. Maybe i'm not getting a good visual

Hows that? I know its perfectly round when flat but the point should work pretty well when its rounded.

YUP! I think that'll do the trick. I agree with the wooden handle comment also. I've heard that from a lot of the water guys on here. WOLF

So wooden handle. Guess that makes it pretty easy as far as designing goes, but I'm kinda stuck on what gauge aluminum to use.

Actually the wooden handle idea is awesome because not only will it save me on shipping these things out, but it'll cost a LOT less for you guys! You can just get your own handles if you want to! :)

Back
Top Bottom