Question for the old-timers

IfindFe

Last year (2017) I was given my first ever metal detector. It was a new in the box, never been used Fisher 555-D (1980 I think). I probably should have put it in a museum, but I had no detector, so I treated the pots with Deoxit products, put in batteries and hit the fields looking for relics. I have not ceased being amazed with the machine. I added in a Garrett pro pointer ll early in the game and the three of us have become a pretty good team. After a year and a half of detecting I am wondering just how much difference a newer machine would make. I live in the boonies in NE Oregon, no dealers close by and I have never seen another detectorist. I've done a lot of reading and have my reasons to like the Garrett AT Pro and the Fisher F75. Any fatherly advice about how I might feel if I hit the field with one of these newer machines? And thanks guys, I've learned a lot from this forum.

I’ve owned 3 AT Pros and found the atp to be a decent detector. I did find the atp slightly nose heavy with the standard coil. So, most of the time, I would hunt with the small coil which gave the atp better balance and was a great little coil.

My recommendation though is for the Minelab Equinox 600 or 800.
Lighter weight, multi-frequency, water proof, better TID and better screen to name just a few of the many features.

Do the research and see what you think.
Best of luck!

You won't get the same feel with modern detectors as you have with the 555, it was deep and a top of the line machine that loved silver back in the day. Still would work great today but, todays machines are deeper, handle mineralized grounds better, see more targets when grouped together-can separate them when the coil is passed over them. The 555 sees the group as one target. Just a different world these days. The 555 is still a fine detector and will find stuff. It was one of my fav. machines. https://www.treasurelinx.com/fisher.html

Yep, looking back on the detectors I started with back in the 80s and comparing them to the machines I use today, I'd say the 3 biggest differences are weight, depth and speed. Detectors have come a long way in all 3 of those departments.

If you're looking to acquire a new detector, I would second the recommendation of Minelab's Equinox. It's pretty much the latest in digital VLF technology: light, bright screen, fast, wireless, simultaneous multi-frequency, and waterproof. But, otherwise, they are both VLF machines; and most of the battle remains putting the coil over the right target.

I very much appreciate all of the advice I've gotten. I am extremely curious about the new machines. I'd really like to do a side-by-side field comparison with my old Fisher to see if it's really worth an upgrade. I'll probably end up choosing by specs, taking a leap of faith and forking out the money. The Equinox machines are VERY attractive to me except for the battery situation - at this point it's a deal breaker for me. In the meantime I'll keep reading...

Back
Top Bottom