NOX 600 vs Canadian coins

Seaking406

Elite Member
Or this should be titled "Why I dig on every signal"... with a big SIGH.

I updated my Nox 600 firmware not long ago and took it out to several different beaches since then.. Today I decide to test the Nox 600 properly (well as best as *I* know how).. and was quite disappointed... =(

Keep in mind that this is about Canuck coins which I believe are mostly now clad steel coins? Not sure of composition..

Previous beach hunts showed me that on either of the Beach settings, it failed to pick up a dime that was sitting on top of the sand.. but it would in Park 2 or Field 2, so this had me wondering what else I had been missing while out in the ball diamond outfield and other parks.. and on the beach.

I brought out my sterling silver ring and 14K gold rings previously found with the ACE250, and my 18K gold rings as test pieces, and a variety of Canuck coins..

And here's my results based on my observations and past experience this summer, I usually keep notes for learning purposes:

RINGS: On ALL modes, ALL of the rings made the Nox 600 sing hard and loud when over target.. The 18K rings showed up as 18-19 while the 14K gold ring showed up as a solid 12.. (tested above surface and buried 4 inches in dry sand) So should I come across those numbers, I'm digging.. Unfortunately, I do know that I have dug up bottle caps, drink peel away foil security caps and odds and sods pull tabs and such at those numbers as well..

Canadian Coins: gah, this is frustrating with this NOX 600.

What I found that in any mode other than Park 2 or Field 2, the coil has to be swept every so slowly in order for the NOX 600 to notice it.. In P2 F2, though, it will pick up most coins on a normal smooth and even swing (slow) but in other modes, a snail moves quicker.. I tried this with various swing speed settings, but the results are the same. I Factory reset the settings, did the noise cancelling and ground balance properly as per instructions etc..

Copper pennies will always sing out loud and solid around 22, even the clad ones and I have dug up bottle caps around the 21-23 number as well... sigh.

Twoonies, big happy bi-metal coins that will buy you a lovely medium Timmies, will ring in anywhere between 13-17.. as you swing the coil over the target, the numbers will dance between those numbers.. if I go 90' across the numbers stay the same.. and if you go full metal, you will also get a negative number.. usually if I see a negative number, I would pass up that target believing it to be trash.. ergh. Now I guess I won't..

Loonies.. seems to be a solid one piece chunk of metal but THIS one will dance the numbers from 1-13 in Park 2 mode, and is almost not noticed in any other modes.. so strange.. I have found chunks of can slaw in that range as well.

Quarters: Neither Beach modes will see it, but Park and Field 1 and 2 will see it as dancing from 3 to 9.. And foil cap lids are in that range as well, they make the Nox 600 dance around those same numbers.

Dimes: Neither Beach modes will see this dime.. above or under the sand.. However, in P2 or F2, it registers anywhere dancing between 6 and 13.. More caps, pull tabs and such reside in that range also.

And I didn't have a nickel to try out..

So though the Nox 600 will "see" Canadian coins in SOME modes, but NOT in other modes, this makes the Nox 600 more work than it has to if you're interested in finding coins AND silver/gold..

Most of my coin finds were with the ACE250, and even though I did find quite a few coins with the NOX 600, it was mostly "there's a target, I might as well dig it up because we don't know what it is..." and 75% of the time it's trash or nails, or bobby pins.. Basically blind luck finding a coin. I found the ACE250 was better at finding coins, especially with the Sniper Coil...

I didn't do any of these tests before the update, but I kind of feel like the Nox 600 was more responsive to finding Canadian coins BEFORE the update.. I might be very wrong on this but can't help the feeling that this might well be the case and that I should revert back to the OLD firmware (but how if possible?)

Seeing how our Canadian beaches around here aren't very crowded (low population density) and Canadians tend to be more cautious about bringing jewellery to the beach, my nice long walks with the missus on the beach produce little to nothing up here.. I spent 3 hours slowly scanning the dry and wet areas and nothing but bobby pins, caps and a tent peg came up. ONE coin was found in the wet and as I scooped out the sand into a pile, the wife saw the coin in the pile JUST before a wave swept over the pile, receded and took the coin with it.. Try as I may, I could not relocate it again.. argh.. just the luck, right?

SO in short, is the NOX 600 useless for Canuck coins? Is there a way to revert the Firmware to old version which I would hope might be friendlier to Canuck coins?

the ONLY thing I got going for me is that should I ever get lucky enough again to swing the coil over another ring, I'll know fer sure!

If all goes well with the next medical tests, I am heading back south to the Gulf coast for a few weeks to escape the snow and cold, and plan to bring the NOX 600 with me instead of the ACE250... I would really like to get this dang this figured out before I go though.. I do enjoy those walks on the beach with the missus ;) Hopefully run into another Nox 600 who fully knows how to run this unit properly to show me what I might be doing wrong with mine..

Heading out to the lake tomorrow to try my luck there.. still testing, still learning and most of all, still really enjoying dirt fishing ;)

Cheers

I know of a couple of guys in my area that bought the Equinox and were very unhappy with it. It doesn't seem like the right tool here in Canada.

I have found that the Nokta/Makro Multi-Kruzer and current to be released Infibio do very well with Canadian clad. Better than many detectors claimed to do very well with the clad. Since using the Impact, which I found to be my favorite Can clad machine, my thoughts about that changed after getting the Multi-Kruzer. Now that I have the Anfibio-Multi, found it to be an improvement over both of the other two detectors.

The key to Nokta/Makro products is that the software program they use for the detectors is based on coins they used from 30 different countries. Composition varies greatly. Since Australian coins are similar to Canadain coins, their detectors work excellent there as well. Its almost as if the detectors were made for Canada and Oz.

Something for you to take a look at.

Top picture, 80% of what is pictured were Impact finds using the 7" concentric coil.

Bottom picture, are recent finds with the new Anfibio-Multi

Attachments

• 2017 Finds IQ.jpg
    2017 Finds IQ.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 126
  • Anfibio Finds Sven.jpg
    Anfibio Finds Sven.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 120
I know of a couple of guys in my area that bought the Equinox and were very unhappy with it. It doesn't seem like the right tool here in Canada.

I'm thinking of the same thing, unfortunately.. Spent a good coin on this rig, I basically have to stick with it.. But I still have my ACE250 which WILL sing for Canadian Coins.. Thanks for your response.

I have found that the Nokta/Makro Multi-Kruzer and current to be released Infibio do very well with Canadian clad. Better than many detectors claimed to do very well with the clad. Since using the Impact, which I found to be my favorite Can clad machine, my thoughts about that changed after getting the Multi-Kruzer. Now that I have the Anfibio-Multi, found it to be an improvement over both of the other two detectors.

The key to Nokta/Makro products is that the software program they use for the detectors is based on coins they used from 30 different countries. Composition varies greatly. Since Australian coins are similar to Canadain coins, their detectors work excellent there as well. Its almost as if the detectors were made for Canada and Oz.

Something for you to take a look at.

Top picture, 80% of what is pictured were Impact finds using the 7" concentric coil.

Bottom picture, are recent finds with the new Anfibio-Multi

Aww man, now I'm really jealous ;) And will have a look at those units you mentioned..

Thanks!!

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom