San Diego beach detecting - what frequency to use?

Mglvr

Going to Mission Beach in a few weeks, and figured I’d bring my X-Terra 705. I haven’t beach detected before, and I’m a little confused about what coil/frequency to use. I plan on doing mostly dry/damp sand hunting, and was going to go with my Coiltek 15” 18.75. However, in doing some reading, it sounds like a lot of folks are using coils in the 7.5 range. Suggestions and/or advice is much appreciated. Bill

IMHO, the super low frequency and the super high frequency, on the 705, don't do a lick of good for normal hunting. The stock middle-of-the-road frequency is going to be a good compromise for normal hunting. The super high frequency may be good for nuggets, or trying to see through/around iron. But has little benefit for the dry sand beach (and would just rob you of depth). And the super low frequency is supposedly better for high conductors. But that's hardly the objective for the beach, eh ? (where you want low conductors to "sing" louder).

I would just use the stock coil. And be aware: The 705 ..... despite having a "beach mode", is not a very good beach machine :(

Don’t waste your time in SD. I hear it’s a joke down there. ;)
I agree. Never found anything good down there! :roll:

picture.php

;)

I have a buddy with a 705.
He'd use the concentric coil when we beach hunt.
He now uses the 15" coil and I've seen him hit gold with it.
Don't know if those coils come in different freqs.

GL HH

Thanks all

Thanks for the great info! I’ll take a few coils, and have fun with it. I definitely won’t find anything if I don’t give it a shot!

you won't find anything in SD anyways.. It's all been found.... :laughing::laughing:

There has been a flux of detectorists down here for some odd reason. It's pretty pounded out so best of luck. We are also very tight lipped down here as to where to hunt so no bother asking. Mission Beach is a college party beach so I hope you can discrim. Best of luck...

Back
Top Bottom