Gloves at the beach?

BRJ123

Elite Member
Does anyone wear safety gloves at the beach while detecting? Rarely do I actually reach down into the sand since i have a giant scoop but there are times.

Any recommendations?

Most

Choose to wrap the handle , to avoid blister's, sometimes i use the latex mechanic's 9 mil, they work perfect , harbor freight 50 count , they also provide warmth ,they will hold moisture , you will see when your done, they are good for dirt also, Earl

Yes, by all means! All of us wear gloves at the Beach! Of course, goes without saying! Never white after Labor day though!...

We try to go with seasonal coordinated ensembles to match the top hat, tuxedo, spats and parasol....MossyOak DuckDynasty velcro cuff neoprenes are popular this season...On sale at Cabelas...:laughing:

This is a joke? You goddabeshiddingmeright?...Gloves? Fancy hand socks? I doubt the majority of the BeachHunter posters here wear underpants let alone gloves or socks! Most of us dont even wear a bra underneath our tee shirt! .. ..

Tophat and tuxedo certainly, thats a given, to sneak into the beach resort free parking lots...Go light and commando and keep it simple! Whats next? Gonna ask us about what "Footmittens?" (socks) we prefer?

Last edited:
Yes, by all means! All of us wear gloves at the Beach! Of course, goes without saying! Never white after Labor day...

Try to go with seasonal coordinated ensembles to match your top hat, tuxedo, spats and parasol....MossyOak DuckDynasty velcro cuff neoprenes are popular this season...On sale at Cabelas...:laughing:

You goddabeshiddingmeright?...

As much as I appreciate your fashion advice..... :roll::lol:

I've never actually seen one at the beaches I go to I have this terrible dread in the back of my mind that i'm gunna stick myself with a syringe needle one day so I thought I'd see what other people do for safety.

I've never actually seen one at the beaches I go to I have this terrible dread in the back of my mind that i'm gunna stick myself with a syringe needle one day so I thought I'd see what other people do for safety.

Dude!..I am also a major needlephobe..Thats about the only thing that gives me the creeps...Needles! In fact, I havnt seen a doctor in 10+yrs on account of it...I decline novocaine at the Dentist even! All sorts of dopers in my AO...needles all over the place..

Interestingly, I dont give one tinkers damn though, my last refuge of sanity and being a free Man in this World is wandering around gloveless, barefoot, no socks or underpants, in my early morning respite and insatiable quest for Gold...Its liberating to go out Commando!...I still wear the top hat, tuxedo, and spats..but hey, baby steps right?

Last edited:
Besides the well dressed suggestions from MP, :laughing: I occasionally wear the Mechanix Brand Originals.
I’ve never been poked, stabbed or cut while beach detecting but I wish there was a solution for oily beach tar in the sand. It’s hard as heck getting that smelly stuff off my flip flops.

I use gloves at the beach. The primary was for a little protection when sifting through my scoop. ( shells muck etc.) Now I have found the added benefit of keeping my hands a lot cleaner. I often bring a lunch to the beach. Being able to shed my gloves and not having to cleans as vigorously saves time and maybe a little healthier.

The only time i wear gloves is when it is cold. When my fingers get so cold that i can not turn the knobs on my Xcal. I have never scooped anything at the beach that would cut me.

Even though my water temps are warm compared to the rest of you I started wearing gloves over a year ago because I cut myself a couple of times crushing cans to put them into the pouch. I noticed that with the gloves you would lose fine motor skills taking out items out of the scoop so I started try weight lifting gloves. These gloves have the fingers cut off and give my hand and palms good protection yet I'm able to pluck out items from the scoop.

I've found 3 needles in the last 5 years. :shock: As a safety professional, I can can give you all kinds of info on cut/puncture ratings and manufactures, but the type of gloves required to prevent punctures from such objects are not easy to work with, e.g., low dexterity. There is a more prevalent risk from abrasions and lacerations from other objects like can slaw, fishing lures, and rusting / flaking pieces of iron. For that you have plenty of options for highly dexterity gloves.

Grainger, fastenal and google shopping have many to choose from and if you order online, you'll only pay $4-10 per pair.

Foam nitrile palm gloves give you the most sensation and will be a great all purpose.

Next level of protection is something like this with a PU coated palm.

For cold weather, this is slightly thicker, warmer and also has PU coated palm.

Does anyone wear safety gloves at the beach while detecting? Rarely do I actually reach down into the sand since i have a giant scoop but there are times.

Any recommendations?

I wear a neoprene glove on my scoop hand, because it reduces the pressure on my hand when I'm dragging the scoop (helps me hunt longer, without wrist strain).

Gloves at the beach

I have two magnets inside my scoop. These attract nasty, sharp rusty metal at the beach. Without gloves, clearing the magnets of debris would be a dicey maneuver. Being a retired firefighter/EMT, I am used to always wear gloves. Get the right size for your hand. They won't slow you down.

I don't usually wear gloves and sometimes go barefoot when I hunt. However, last year, when I got home after a barefoot hunt, I found that I had cut my foot. In hindsight, it was at a trashy beach and a lapse in judgement on my part. However, at most of my beaches I am still okay with it.
I see people at the beach all the time without shoes or gloves on. :D

$5 for a 5 pack at Lowes. I use these for dirt hunting, yardwork and even working on my car and truck. You can rinse them out a couple times with soapy water when they get dirty and when they just get to nasty to clean throw them away.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Blue-Hawk-5-Pack-Large-Men-s-Work-Gloves/1000142941

You're welcome! I'm here to help!! thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom