Question about submerged saltwater beach hunting

Boondocks

Hi Y,all, I have done several searches and while I have certainly found a lot of info, I have yet to have my question completely answered. I have been hunting with an Excalibur II for a few years and I love it. I am 6’3” and 215 lbs and pride myself on being able to get out in some of the rougher water. As you can imagine, this means that I am routinely taking waves completely over the head and submerging the entire machine. This is no problem for the Excal but here is my question. I would really like to have a display occasionally. For example, after a big party weekend, there are some areas that have thousands of pop tops that I would love to be able to read for what they are and move on. I will save my excal for diving but is there a machine like the ctx 3030 that would be safe and effective completely submerged in saltwater (including the headphones) for extended periods of time while wading. Lastly, we get some current and riptides here, please comment on the machine you recommend’s hydrodynamics. I want it to be sleek in the water so that I can detect comfortably for hours. Thanks in advance.

IMHO, displays are USELESS water detecting. You want to discriminate bottle tops, you will miss good targets. It is so easy to dig in sand, I could care less if I dig up a hundred tops.

My take anyway.

Hi Y,all, I have done several searches and while I have certainly found a lot of info, I have yet to have my question completely answered. I have been hunting with an Excalibur II for a few years and I love it. I am 6’3” and 215 lbs and pride myself on being able to get out in some of the rougher water. As you can imagine, this means that I am routinely taking waves completely over the head and submerging the entire machine. This is no problem for the Excal but here is my question. I would really like to have a display occasionally. For example, after a big party weekend, there are some areas that have thousands of pop tops that I would love to be able to read for what they are and move on. I will save my excal for diving but is there a machine like the ctx 3030 that would be safe and effective completely submerged in saltwater (including the headphones) for extended periods of time while wading. Lastly, we get some current and riptides here, please comment on the machine you recommend’s hydrodynamics. I want it to be sleek in the water so that I can detect comfortably for hours. Thanks in advance.

I'm with scuba, no display needed. If your out that far and under, that light stuff should be getting pushed into shore if your hunting in roller waves. Rare for me to even dig any trash in rough waters. These are the bay waters, calm compared to Ocean waters.

Attachments

• scott deep cb.jpg
    scott deep cb.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 280
Well regardless of how I think you should hunt, my answer to your screen question is a CTX or a Equinox(I don't have an Eq and am not completely sure about headphones for your use). As to ease of swinging in water, all I can say is that its a Royal B to swing the CTX 17" coil thru water.

I hunt with both Excal and Equinox submerged. Equinox is only rated to 10' so remember that. I have found trying to read the display a waste of time when water hunting. If the water is clear, murky or if you're wearing sunglasses it becomes an exercise in futility and/or wasted time to see what the reading is. I love the 'Nox in wet sand but in the water I still prefer the Excal.

You should dig it all in the water anyway,.....I always try to guess what I have and I'm often wrong on pulltab signals and bottlecaps.

.... have thousands of pop tops that I would love to be able to read for what they are and move on.....

By "pop tops", do you mean pulltabs ? Or do you mean crown caps ? Or do you mean screw-caps, etc.... ? Your excalibur can pass all of those effortlessly. All you need to do is move up the disc. knob, and you can knock out those items. The same way the CTX does it: You just black out those portions of the screen.

But the devil is in the details: If you loose tabs and screwcaps, you will miss gold rings that fall into those zones.

The only exception is crown-caps: Those have enough iron in their composition, that they are easier tell-tale, by audio.

Dig it all!! I have the Excal and Equinox. If I’m in the water or wet sand I dig it all. In dry sand the excal will null out on most bottles caps except for our friend the corona cap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom