first hunt with my equinox 6 inch coil in trashy park

maxxkatt

Forum Supporter
Normally I don't hunt this trashy park on the weekend because it is slammed with people and absolutely no parking available. However I just could not wait till Monday to test the 6" coil from Minelab.

So I circled the parking lot for about 5 min and got a parking place and started hunting. I have hunted the around the picnic tables near the river today. I have hunted those areas quite often with my AT Pro and lately the 800 with the stock coil. Might find 1-2 coins after digging many iffy targets.

But today with the 6" coil it was different. I used laidback4sho coin cherry picking settings: Park2, iron bias 3, recovery 5, GB 0, sensitivity 23. I set up two tones and notched out everything under 21. I set the 1st break as a low tone and very low volume and the above 22 break and above as a high tone and high volume.

Guess what? Every single high tone target was a strong sounding coin. I dug only one piece of junk which was a broken piece of brass or copper electrical part. Never have I had such an low dig to junk ration. In about 1 hour I found 12 clad coins and one junk target. 2 quarters, five dimes and five zinc pennies. I know you might say where is the silver?

There is basically no silver coins in this park. I have confirmed this with about five other hunters who hunt this park. The reason is I think the park has flooded multiple times over the years since the phase out of silver coins. The park area I hunt by the picnic table is almost pure sand. So I think even the frequent Georgia thunderstorms make the old coins sink way beyond our reach.

I love the 11.6 oz six inch coil. Like some other forum poster said, it is like swinging a stick. I took it up in the wooded bushy area and you can get real close to trees and in and out of tight areas as expected.

None of the coins were iffy signals. The deepest coins were, I think, about 4 - 6 inches. Hard to tell in the sand, since when you try to pry out a clod, there is no clod just sand falling back into the hole. So the depth is just a pure guess on my part.

Next hunt is some creeks in civil war battle sites and a gold creek that is near a mine in North Georgia.

Thanks for the review! Sounds like that small coil is going to be a winner in trashy parks.

Did you test the max depth on various coins? I am interested in the 6” coil?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the review! I'm hoping to hear some air test depth comparisons with the 6" and the stock coil.

The 6" seems small for coinshooting wich is my primary, with relics being a close second. Hopefully we have a few coil options for next season, maybe 5x8 or 6x10ish size.

No I didn't really check any depth since I was in real sandy soil and it was my first hunt. Just couldn't wait to get out and try it in my trash park.

I agree about the 5x8" coil. I had one on my AT Pro and loved using it for the type of hunting I was doing. Parks and woods with lots of trees and brushes. I have not found any open farm fields to hunt in North Atlanta. Too much development. Power lines are about the closest thing to an open field here.

Back
Top Bottom