Water Hunting Tip

fsa46

Forum Supporter
Although I don't hunt anymore, I thought I'd pass this along after reading Angels post.

After almost losing it at a Rhode Island beach after taking a wave over my head that filled my waders, I had to come up with something to correct the problem.

I bought a short sleeved skin top to go over my waders instead of inside. It has save my butt on more than one occasion.

Even hunting the western beaches where there isn't any waves, it helped me many times. If I tried to go out a litter further than I should have or just tripped and fell, I never had a drop of water enter my waders after doing that.

There have been many a fisherman that lost their lives falling into the cold waters and having their waders fill with water. This simple, cheap fix could have save their lives.

Just thought I'd pass it along for what it's worth.

When I fish I wear a wading belt for this. It is a very dangerous situation so thanks for the advice!

A rain coat/wind breaker can help if its the right style.
I wear a wind breaker over my 5mm wetsuit all winter. Keeps the heat in and stops rushing water from stealing my heat

Although I don't hunt anymore, I thought I'd pass this along after reading Angels post.

After almost losing it at a Rhode Island beach after taking a wave over my head that filled my waders, I had to come up with something to correct the problem.

I bought a short sleeved skin top to go over my waders instead of inside. It has save my butt on more than one occasion.

Even hunting the western beaches where there isn't any waves, it helped me many times. If I tried to go out a litter further than I should have or just tripped and fell, I never had a drop of water enter my waders after doing that.

There have been many a fisherman that lost their lives falling into the cold waters and having their waders fill with water. This simple, cheap fix could have save their lives.

Just thought I'd pass it along for what it's worth.
thanks fsa46 great tip were can I get one of those

Great tip! I know in RI one step off the beach can be a 2 or 3 foot drop right at the bottom of the slope. It is amazing how those beaches that are open to the ocean can change shape.

thanks fsa46 great tip were can I get one of those

wetsuitwarehouse.com is a great place for all things associated with lunatics who play in water when they ought to know better! :laughing:
I have never had a problem with them and you can usually catch a sale or coupon code.

wetsuitwarehouse.com is a great place for all things associated with lunatics who play in water when they ought to know better! :laughing:
I have never had a problem with them and you can usually catch a sale or coupon code.

Frank, I think you were the one that told me about the story of hunting at dark and the big drop off at shore...Now that's a real eye opener...and one I always think about. A few weeks ago tides were low, I was out about 50 yards chest deep water. All of the sudden the sand on the next step forward was like fluid.. If not for your story of watching each step carefully I could have sunk. I believe I was out so far I had hit a area where the oyster dredge had came thru and I was stepping into one of there dredged area's...which had filled with silt. When you can not see your next step always move with caution.
Thanks Buddy...

OBN...another life saving tip. Thanks. Sometimes we get to comfortable in the areas where we hunt that we take things for granted when we are out at a new location.

Frank, I think you were the one that told me about the story of hunting at dark and the big drop off at shore...Now that's a real eye opener...and one I always think about. A few weeks ago tides were low, I was out about 50 yards chest deep water. All of the sudden the sand on the next step forward was like fluid.. If not for your story of watching each step carefully I could have sunk. I believe I was out so far I had hit a area where the oyster dredge had came thru and I was stepping into one of there dredged area's...which had filled with silt. When you can not see your next step always move with caution.
Thanks Buddy...

Yes ,that was me that told you that. The worst part of it was if I had gone in, the top skin I wear wouldn't have helped because I would have gone over my head. I am not exaggerating when I say I don't think I would have been here today, it was that bad and DEEP.

It took me a couple weeks to get over it, I just couldn't get it out of my mind.

I bet a diver could have scored some serious gold in that spot.

Back
Top Bottom