Lightest scoop shaft combo

Steve

Forum Supporter
Anyone know what it is? I've got mine in at 1.6kg.. anything lighter available without breaking the bank?

Edit.. that's with a 4mm scoop shaft and a bunch of hockey tape wrapped for handles.

1.1kg would be ideal if available

It's more than just weight. I can make a scoop that weighs less than a pound (.4 kilos). But it wouldn't hold up to the abuse I'd give it.

I run the RTG travel scoop, because it breaks down and fits into my suitcases. That's pretty critical. It comes in at 4.5lbs. (2 kilos). But it's ROCK SOLID. I'll probably wear out before it does.

Curious question... why the focus on weight so much? Don't you just drag it behind you while you walk? Unlike a metal detector, the scoop weight isn't nearly as fatiguing.

But... if you're looking for a lightweight sand scoop that holds up. This one is less than .9 kilos:
http://www.rtgstore.com/rtgaluminumscoops.htm

rtgcurvemini.jpg

RTG CURVED HANDLE ALUMINUM SAND SCOOP
" It has a fixed 36" long straight heavy style anodized aluminum handle with a bend halfway in the middle of the handle. Comes with a rubber grip for comfort. The aluminum bucket has 5/8" diameter holes punched into the sides and the back of the scoop . The bucket of this scoop is heavy gauge aluminum. The bucket of the sand scoop is 5" in diameter by 7" long. There is also an aluminum brace at the meeting place of the handle to the bucket for strength. This lightweight sand scoop weighs just a 2 pounds. Overall length of this sand scoop is about 41" long. Made in the U.S.A. by Reilly's Treasured Gold. We are offering a 90 day limited warranty against manufacturing defects on this scoop. This scoop weighs less than 2 pounds."

Skippy

It's more than just weight. I can make a scoop that weighs less than a pound (.4 kilos). But it wouldn't hold up to the abuse I'd give it.

I run the RTG travel scoop, because it breaks down and fits into my suitcases. That's pretty critical. It comes in at 4.5lbs. (2 kilos). But it's ROCK SOLID. I'll probably wear out before it does.

Curious question... why the focus on weight so much? Don't you just drag it behind you while you walk? Unlike a metal detector, the scoop weight isn't nearly as fatiguing.

But... if you're looking for a lightweight sand scoop that holds up. This one is less than .9 kilos:
http://www.rtgstore.com/rtgaluminumscoops.htm

rtgcurvemini.jpg

RTG CURVED HANDLE ALUMINUM SAND SCOOP
" It has a fixed 36" long straight heavy style anodized aluminum handle with a bend halfway in the middle of the handle. Comes with a rubber grip for comfort. The aluminum bucket has 5/8" diameter holes punched into the sides and the back of the scoop . The bucket of this scoop is heavy gauge aluminum. The bucket of the sand scoop is 5" in diameter by 7" long. There is also an aluminum brace at the meeting place of the handle to the bucket for strength. This lightweight sand scoop weighs just a 2 pounds. Overall length of this sand scoop is about 41" long. Made in the U.S.A. by Reilly's Treasured Gold. We are offering a 90 day limited warranty against manufacturing defects on this scoop. This scoop weighs less than 2 pounds."

Skippy

Yeah, I drag it behind. I dig literally hundreds of holes a hunt. I'm looking to reduce weight and drag where ever I can

Anyone know what it is? I've got mine in at 1.6kg.. anything lighter available without breaking the bank?

Edit.. that's with a 4mm scoop shaft and a bunch of hockey tape wrapped for handles.

1.1kg would be ideal if available

Is that a 4mm wall thickness, or did you mean 4cm diameter (~1.5")?

4mm sidewall... You have me thinking now though. Reduce from 34mm diameter to something like 25mm. I tried something similar before before I was concerned with weight

That's about what i have, in fiberglass, with a sleeve of the right diameter on the working end. If you are making these yourself, it should be no problem for you, other than getting a new mandrel. :yes:

Back
Top Bottom