ATP in tall grass

Chipk

Elite Member
Ok am I the only one whose ATP sounds off in tall grass? And I don't mean waist high grass. Mine sings when ANY grass tall enough to meet the coil makes contact. I find myself swinging much higher than I want to.
And I sent it back to Garrett for this but I still am having the issue. :no:

Mine does occasionally but not often. But then you have to consider that I am very careful not to bump the coil on anything if I can avoid it. My AT is actually much more stable that the ace 250 I had , which falsed all the time.

I think though , you might want to take a look at your detecting style and practices before assuming its a detector defect. Different people do it differently , some have a very or moderately agressive approach and really get the coil into the ground and bump the daylights out of the coil on anything nearby and grind away on the grass , this would cause most detectors to beep and false. Im not saying this is you , just illustrating a point...... Others , are not as agressive with it and are a little more careful and methodical in their approach , adapting their strategy to the conditions they encounter , avoiding most impacts and stress on the coil.

The AT pro by nature is a sensitive beast , as someone else put it......."it operates just a little under insanity" .....because of its sensitive nature you get more beeps if you are agressive with it. With that said , mine still rarely falses when it bumps anything unless I have the sensitivity at its highest setting. I usually run it one or two bars down from max without losing any depth , but it rarely falses or beeps on slight impacts that way.

Might need to slow your swing speed? I'm a coil dragger and run mine on max bars. If I have to turn sens down on a detector I sell it and buy one I don't have to.

Might need to slow your swing speed? I'm a coil dragger and run mine on max bars. If I have to turn sens down on a detector I sell it and buy one I don't have to.

All depends on your personal style using the detector.

But they have a sensitivity adjustment with a pretty wide window for a reason , not everybody uses them the same or uses them in the same environments so you should be able to adjust according. I see what you are saying about turning the sensitivity down , but an alternative to that thought is I would rather have a crazy sensitive detector that I can turn down without compromizing performance than one that has so little sensitivity that I can drag the ground with the sens maxed out without setting it off :lol:

All depends on your personal style using the detector.

But they have a sensitivity adjustment with a pretty wide window for a reason , not everybody uses them the same or uses them in the same environments so you should be able to adjust according. I see what you are saying about turning the sensitivity down , but an alternative to that thought is I would rather have a crazy sensitive detector that I can turn down without compromizing performance than one that has so little sensitivity that I can drag the ground with the sens maxed out without setting it off :lol:

He's hunting the same city I am though. I look for wet grass and puddles to detect in with my AT pro. If its dry I stay home or hit a beach. Early morning when I hunt the grass is always wet.
edit. Check your coil cover and make sure there isn't any beach sand behind it. I drag wet grass I have water dripping out of the coil cover in minutes. beach sand will really freak an AT pro out.

He's hunting the same city I am though. I look for wet grass and puddles to detect in with my AT pro. If its dry I stay home or hit a beach. Early morning when I hunt the grass is always wet.
edit. Check your coil cover and make sure there isn't any beach sand behind it. I drag wet grass I have water dripping out of the coil cover in minutes. beach sand will really freak an AT pro out.

Ok I see.

I used to detect there , but used a tesoro bandido or a whites classic at the time.

Ok I see.

I used to detect there , but used a tesoro bandido or a whites classic at the time.

Yeah ace 250 got sent packing quick. AT pro it could be his is tuned different than mine from the factory. Doesn't matter what machine you use. No two are alike. I have two DFX set up the same way and they are slightly different. One likes quarters better than the other one:lol:

Ok am I the only one whose ATP sounds off in tall grass? And I don't mean waist high grass. Mine sings when ANY grass tall enough to meet the coil makes contact. I find myself swinging much higher than I want to.

Yup mine does the same thing. I watched an older you tube video where a guy had several ATP's and he finally got one that even if he shook it it wouldn't false. I don't think I would bother sending it back for that though. I have learned to live with mine falsing when I run it at full sensitivity. It does help to run at lower sensitivity. As one poster said it's a personality quirk of the ATP ,albeit an annoying one.

Just one more modification required and you are good to go.

Attachments

• Weed detector.jpg
    Weed detector.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 489
Have you tried changing the frequency on the ATP? I find that mine will be more sensitive in one area over another even within a couple miles of my house. A frequency change will usually reduce any unwanted chatter unless there are electrical lines nearby.

No mater how tall the grass is, I still try to scrub the ground... I am on my second coil cover already because of all the scrubbing.. I have never had any falsing issues that your describing, except when I had a bad coil...

I usually run mine as hot as she goes...

Also make sure your coil wire is taped up so it cant wiggle while your swinging..

<*)))>{

HAHAH If i didn't hunt tall grass with my AT Pro I might not get to use it anywhere ...lol

Water, grass, brush etc, no falsing...

I recently started having the same problem with my AT Pro (less than a year old), which has progressively gotten worse to the point that I can only use 1 - 3 bars of sensitivity without constant falsing just from swinging side to side(even in mid air). I won't even go close to the tall grass at this point. I'm hoping to try another coil this weekend before sending the whole unit back, but to you answer your question -- nope, you are not the only one :)

What he said. I have to remind my self of that occasionally. usually when my machine is freaking for no reason Im like... "Duh" and take the cover off the coil and clean it out really good. Works perfect afterwards.

Back
Top Bottom