Polishing jewelry with stainless steel shot

Irons

Forum Supporter
Anybody have some tips for using this stuff in a rotary tumbler?

Evert time I look up using steel shot on the internets the discussion rapidly turns into a mishmash of opinions that turns into a shouting match and few real facts get out. :laughing:

I just got a pound of 5 shapes from Rio Grande and I'm going to start experimenting with it today, seeing as I'm rained out from hunting.

Will it remove discoloration from silver or just shine it? Do I want the tarnish off first?

Gold so far I figure 2 hours a drop of dish soap and enough water to cover the shot and rings.

Thanks for any help! :D

Anybody have some tips for using this stuff in a rotary tumbler?

Evert time I look up using steel shot on the internets the discussion rapidly turns into a mishmash of opinions that turns into a shouting match and few real facts get out. :laughing:

I just got a pound of 5 shapes from Rio Grande and I'm going to start experimenting with it today, seeing as I'm rained out from hunting.

Will it remove discoloration from silver or just shine it? Do I want the tarnish off first?

Gold so far I figure 2 hours a drop of dish soap and enough water to cover the shot and rings.

Thanks for any help! :D
I made my own stainless steel shot by cutting deck screws with a bolt cutter:laughing: Best tip I can give you for tarnished silver jewelry is wrap it with aluminum foil and throw it in some vinegar. Then it easily cleans by tumbling or by rubbing with baking soda.

PHOTOS, PHOTOS, PHOTOS!!!

Perhaps you make a few control groups...say 4 groups of equal size coins.
Take a pic of the before
Try (3) variations of your method and (1) of itsaring's method
Take an after pic of each

Then throw them on the forum and lets vote!

-David

PS: I noticed different tumblers yield different results. At least that was the case when I used a large 14" diameter round drum and a jeweler's casting drum (octagonal shape).

PHOTOS, PHOTOS, PHOTOS!!!

Perhaps you make a few control groups...say 4 groups of equal size coins.
Take a pic of the before
Try (3) variations of your method and (1) of itsaring's method
Take an after pic of each

Then throw them on the forum and lets vote!

-David

PS: I noticed different tumblers yield different results. At least that was the case when I used a large 14" diameter round drum and a jeweler's casting drum (octagonal shape).

Thanks for the suggestions I was thinking before and after pic's too. :yes:

I thought I was going to go home and play with the tumbler but I ended up planting 6 sections of cedar split rail fence in the rain instead. Ain't marriage swell? :lol:

Sounds like you have jewelers mix. Different shaped SS beads. Not sure why you would put gold in a tumbler but I guess you can. On gold I would just use Cape Cod polishing cloths. They come two in a pack for a few bucks. I get mine from True Value. They put a really nice shine on silver too. Itsaring mentioned his mix. It works quite well. You can make your own or buy a box of small short stainless screws and use them.

Sounds like you have jewelers mix. Different shaped SS beads. Not sure why you would put gold in a tumbler but I guess you can. On gold I would just use Cape Cod polishing cloths. They come two in a pack for a few bucks. I get mine from True Value. They put a really nice shine on silver too. Itsaring mentioned his mix. It works quite well. You can make your own or buy a box of small short stainless screws and use them.

Dave made a good video about it: :yes::yes:

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=129149

I use jewellers shot too. :grin:

It takes 20-40 minutes to give a fantastic lustre to the jewellery. It must be free from tarnish before you put it in though. I use a combination of baking powder/foil method and 600/1000/2000 grit sandpapers followed by tumbling.

They come out like new if they are not too badly pitted (silver). I sell them on yahoo auction here in Japan.

Things to watch:

- if you leave them too long the shot will round the edges
- if you use dishwashing liquid you may get a sticky residue. ( I don't use anything.)
- be careful with fine stuff, (I've had some bend before).
- also be careful with diamonds. (I've lost stones).

Jewelers supply store Riogrande.com, you can buy ss jewelers shot mix and the soap compound used for silver polishing in tumblers. Common for silver smiths to use this method of polishing.

Well a couple hours puts a mirror finish on 18k Gold! Doesn't remove scratches but shines like a banshee. Silver too more pics later.

Before:

w1.jpg

After:

w2.JPG

Back
Top Bottom