PI or VLF machine

Zender

Hello, I am new to this hobby and I have a question.
Which detector is better, a PI or VLF based detector?
Thank you for your opinions.
Zender

Welcome from New Jersey !!

Welcome and it all depends on where you going to hunt .If you are going to hunt on the salt water beaches without significant iron infestation ,not like ours in NJ where beaches are looming with all kinds of iron junk ,and going to hunt in the water and wet sand (areas with less junk)than get a PI machine. PI is a good technology that allows you to find very deep gold,but it doesn't have discriminating ability meaning that you will have to dig everything including iron junk. So PI is useless in the parks and tot lots due to high trash presence.VLF technology allows you to use discrimination against iron and other trash .I personally dig everything that sounds above iron for the fear of missing gold :D.Minelab VLF machines are the only machines that will let you to hunt our NJ heavily iron infested beaches with very good results because of their exclusive iron mask feature. VLF detectors have broader range of use and can be used in wider range of environments ;parks, tot lots ,schools,beaches .Hope this helps,other members will add their respectful points of view ,good luck and HH

Thanks for your input

I think that here in Thailand I won't have any problems with too much iron in the beaches plus not too many pull taps here I guess because bottles are quite popular.

I was thinking about getting a PI machine since they are a bit cheaper ( not that I can't afford a decent VLF :p) but I refuse to pay outrageous import tax fees.

Anyway thanks again beachdog.

(ps If anyone knows a nice detector shop in Hong Kong please do let me know):grin:

Welcome to the forum Zender... Beachhog put up a good post... only thing I can add is over iron with a PI the signal is wide and loud like a long drawn out wow... over wire and nails its a double blip, over bottlecaps its a scratchy tone so one who knows his PI isn't going to dig much more trash than a VLF user...

Back
Top Bottom