Living 30 Days From Metal Detecting Summary

Predecimal

Hi all,

Well at last my 30 Day Metal Detecting challenge is complete. I will be first to admit, it wasn't as easy as I thought. And as much as I love metal detecting, doing it every night was starting become monotonous. The only way I survived the Challenge was through revenue generated by helping people find their lost rings. This was a huge chunk of revenue, and without it I would not have survived. Can you make a living metal detecting full time?? Perhaps it is possible, but for me personally I could not sustain a living this way. Metal detecting as a hobby is fun, and I enjoy every minute of it. Metal Detecting for a living is a total different ball game. Anway, I hope those of you who followed my blog enjoyed my adventure. And here are the figures for the month..
Challenge Summary
------------------

Total Coins: $633.45
Total Gold: $114.61
Total Silver: $72.81
Total Search Fees: $1300
Month Total: $2120.87
Total Expenses: $2084.23
Net: $36.64

For those of you who don't know what I am talking about, you can read about my Challenge here http://metaldetectingchallenge.blogspot.com/ :)

You did a great job with your blog and information. Any job is exactly what it is......a job.......you do it to survive. A hobby on the other hand brings us into another dimention of happiness.

Those are some impressive numbers you totaled there! Those totals are higher than what I had predicted. Sounds like you are pretty burned out though. Thanks for sharing!

Very impressive

totals there. Now, if you can't make a living at metal detecting with those finds those of us who don't find $1 and $2 coins regularly don't stand a chance at hunting full time. Good job anyways and you gave it one heck of a try! At least you can say you tried.

Very interesting Pre Decimal. I've often wondered how I'd go making a living from metal detecting....unless it's soley for gold...doubt I could just from my usual finds and looking for lost items for others. I think I'd have to charge an hourly rate! Thanks for sharing your adventure.....!
Golden;)

OK, but at least you can say ...I can quit my day job! ;)

Thanks for the ride. I really enjoyed reading your thread and following your progression. You gave it your best and took us along with you on your journey. Now go find some gold;)

That was a blast to follow!:D

Thanks and great job. You not only put in the beach and water time but tons of time on the reporting as well!

Predecimal, I thoroughly enjoyed reading your blog and posts to see how you were doing. As it was great reading and very entertaining, have you thought about trying to have the entire story published in a treasure magazine or possibly a book? As much as we enjoyed reading it, others will too and it could be added to your income for the 30 days. :yes: Hey, you never know!

Thank you for letting us live through you, something that many of us have contemplated at one time or another, but never had the courage to actually attempt.

Predecimal, I thoroughly enjoyed reading your blog and posts to see how you were doing. As it was great reading and very entertaining, have you thought about trying to have the entire story published in a treasure magazine or possibly a book? As much as we enjoyed reading it, others will too and it could be added to your income for the 30 days. :yes: Hey, you never know!

Thank you for letting us live through you, something that many of us have contemplated at one time or another, but never had the courage to actually attempt.

Its a great idea, but I wouldn't even know where to start with that :p Actually a magazine did a story on me, not about the challenge, but about my hobby and how I help people recover their lost items. Unfortunately they really twisted the story and facts...but still good publicity i guess.

Thanks for all the kind words guys/gals. I am having a brief break from detecting then I will be back searching for gold rings and other treasures at the beach. Summer is almost here so hopefully I can show off some finds while you guys are enjoying the winter.

Totally curious on your expenses. That is a lot of batteries. Of course if a lot of travel was involved and gas and motels and such, totally understandable. But would like to see a brief synopsis of that. Indeed a fun endeavour to follow.

Hi Brad

I live at Lake Macquarie/Central Coast and I might run into you one day or night in the near future. I rarely hit the beach because I only have an X-terra70, but I'm on the lookout for a Sovereign or Excalibur so I can start beach hunting properly.

Have you ever been to Hill End detecting? I'm thinking of hiring a GPX 4500 some time next year and heading out in search of some nuggets.

Cheers

Thanks for info on your 30 day journey. You did a very good job. Congrats on all your finds and I am sure you made a few people happy with finding there things. WTG!

Nice project and detailed blog. I noticed after the first week the entertainment expenses went into overdrive.....at least you had a good time.:cool:

Back
Top Bottom