F5, Alkalines only??

bud212002

The manual for my F5 Fisher says use Alkaline bateries only. I was planning to get some rechargeables. Why, alkaline only??:?:

Hi Bud, Not to worry, you can use rechargeables and be alright. What they mean is to stay away from batteries like Panasonic Oxyrides that have an initial rating of 1.7 volts. Welcome to the forum too.

John T.
John's Detectors

The rechargables will work just fine in that unit. You will get less detecting time between charges due to the lower voltage, but they won't harm the machine. You will certainly save money in the long run.:yes:

I actually emailed Fisher and they had one of their engineers send me an email and say that rechargeable NiMH batteries will be just fine. I read the same thing in my manual and got a bit concerned... so I check with the source :)

Guess the only question I have is with a slightly lower voltage will the detectors depth be impacted?

Alkanines only because it is only alkalines that can handle the drain of a good detector.
You can use a rechargable alkaline though.

Guess the only question I have is with a slightly lower voltage will the detectors depth be impacted?

On some detectors it can. Technically, it depends on if the voltage that drives the coil is regulated or not. If it is, then the slightly lower supply voltage shouldn't affect the machine at all. If it's not regulated, then it can affect the sensitivity.

With that being said, the best thing to do is just test it. Put some alkaline batteries in the machine and air test it with a few different items. Make sure you do it accurately and record the results. Then put some rechargeable batteries in and do the same test. Then you'll know for sure.

I believe NiMH batteries are fine for most detectors.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom