Garrett Pro Pointer or a Whites Bullseye TRX Pinpointer??? Which one???

Bigc1975

Ok heres the story i enjoy metal detecting quite a bit. I use a Fisher F2 and i do have a cheaper model pinpointer fisher model. The Fisher pinpointer works ok it does what it needs to do. But i have been hearing all abou the Garrett for the last year since i joined up on this site and i hear how having a good pinpointer makes the finding of the object in the hole so much faster and more fun to detect that i decided its time to get one. I just gotta figure out which one.

Ive been hearing good things by reading reviews about the TRX and so far they seem to be gettin good reviews. The Garrett ive always heard good things about it but it seems within the last 6 months or so there is nothing but problems with them breaking down and needing to be returned to get replaced due to malfunctioning parts. When i first signed up on this site, i didnt hardly ever see a used Garrett Pinpointer for sale on this site, and now i see quite a few of them for sale on here.

I Dont really want the headache of the garrett breaking down and needing replaced all the time, i understand that garretts cusomter service is good, but its still a pain in the butt.

Im also hearing that Whites customer service is very good as well.

I want to make clear that i have never USED a Garrett or a TRX, the only pinpointer ive ever used is that fisher pinpointer. So id like to step up my game and get something that works, and makes this hobby that much more fun, and quicker finding the target in the ground.

I now have a hunting partner in my cousin. So its gotten even more fun to go out and detect.

Give me some point of vew on this help me make up my mind im ready to buy now. Also the extra cost for the TRX really doesnt bother me if its the better pinpointer that is fine. I mean if i have to keep sending the Garrett back cause it breaks down then by buyin the TRX and saving the shipping money is fine. Im ok with spending a few more bucks up front since i have neither of these pin pointers and since ive never used a good one i want to make sure i get one.

thanks

I was in your same predicament just a short week ago. Been using a cheap PP for years and decided to upgrade. I read so many reviews and threads I was deluded with indecision.

I was torn between the TRX and the Garrett. Ultimately I went with the TRX. No particular reason but it seemed to be what I wanted and it fills that need fine so far in my limited experience with it. It is made well, ergonomic. It is easy to use and seems to be a good product. The Garrett I would assume is the same, I haven't used one or even handled one.

I doubt that you could really go wrong with either PP.

lol i just got done reading your post.

As of yesterday i had my mind up to get the garrett but then after more resarch im more towards the TRX now.

I dont think that all these detectorists ouf there would be saying that there garretts keep breaking down if they didnt. Almost all the sites ive gone to on these garretts say they work great and then they break down, you get them replaced and then the samething happens again. I dont want something thats gonna beak down all the time, and have to be replaced. They do say when working right the garretts are tops.

But i think that since there is no other pin pointers really out there to replace the garretts YET so most people havent switched over, but if they keep breaking down then i think people will finally say enough is enough and try something else.

i thought id come on here and ask others what they thought before i made up my mind.

My humble opinion.......
I think the trx excels when digging for deep coin/relics at 6" to 10" due to the high sensitivity. Anything less than 6" it seams to be over kill as you will most Likely only have it set for sens. 2 out of 4. On the shallower targets the fact that the hole shaft of the Garrett senses the object is a plus as you can sweep the sides of the hole, and plug/dirt find the object quick and move on. Being that you have a F2 I think the Garrett is the best bang for your buck. I had a F4 and a F5 and a Garrett and loved it. I now own a ctx and the extra depth of the TRX is handy. Best of luck

I see, but remember i can either way on these pin pointers and money doesnt really matter as far as buying the higher end TRX or the lower price garrett.

But lets say if i were to get really involved in this hobby and upgrade my detector next year to a higher end detector youd go with TRX right? I mean i eventually plan to get a higher end detector just having fun right now with the F2. From what i understand you need to get the better detectors to get deeper to find better silver :) i havent found any silver yet with my f2 just wheat cents.

Also the TRX can be turned down right? So by turning it down to a lower level to hunt shallower objects, and then having the means to turn it up higher to hunt deeper objects that can be a good thing right? thanks for your help

still undecided

You'll probably like either one. Both are probably great. I was in the same situation a while back. I choose the Garrett ultimately because I couldn't see an advantage that justified the price difference. Personally, with the Garrett there have berm more times that I need less sensitivity than times I need more. I also like that the Garrett detection is along the whole pointer shaft.

Good luck

You'll probably like either one. Both are probably great. I was in the same situation a while back. I choose the Garrett ultimately because I couldn't see an advantage that justified the price difference. Personally, with the Garrett there have berm more times that I need less sensitivity than times I need more. I also like that the Garrett detection is along the whole pointer shaft.

Good luck

The side detection is why you need less sensitivity..

so have any of you had any problems to were you had to send your pro pointers in??? thanks

I see, but remember i can either way on these pin pointers and money doesnt really matter as far as buying the higher end TRX or the lower price garrett.

But lets say if i were to get really involved in this hobby and upgrade my detector next year to a higher end detector youd go with TRX right? I mean i eventually plan to get a higher end detector just having fun right now with the F2. From what i understand you need to get the better detectors to get deeper to find better silver :) i havent found any silver yet with my f2 just wheat cents.

Also the TRX can be turned down right? So by turning it down to a lower level to hunt shallower objects, and then having the means to turn it up higher to hunt deeper objects that can be a good thing right? thanks for your help

still undecided

Also the TRX can be turned down right?

I wouldn't turn the TRX down, just leave it on factory, which is 3. Even though the TRX sensitivity can be turned down, it takes several button pushes if you do it on the fly. It is a lot easier and pleasing to just learn the TRX's target depths by the increase or decrease in proximity beeping. If it is screaming, just use it's easy to use ratchet feature. The beauty of the TRX to me is that it easily hits 3 inches plus and with the simplicity of momentarily pressing the on-off button when over a lively, shallow target, it detunes to the lower sensitivity for the remainder of digging that hole. once you get it, you'll learn fast.

I miss the side detection feature. I suspect that you are used to the expedient way the Fisher pointer finds shallow stuff, and I see your point in a way cuz my Garretts(I still have two with nary a problem, one gets a bit of better depth), is faster for me on shallow finds. Side detection is why. Still, I find the TRX a pleasure in getting further than an inch and a half...the Garretts stock ability when new, yet that depth fades to an inch in heavy use and time.

I have sure loved using my two Garretts puchased in 2010, and will always keep one as a backup. As far as the failure rates on them these days, you should realize that there are magnitudes of ProPointer owners compared to the TRX. Only time will tell if the TRX will be reliable a year from now.

I would get the TRX if I didn't have any quality pinpointer at all. Either way, don't pay retail. Use the sponsors here. The price difference won't be enough to notice. Good luck! martin

IMO TRX, asked the same ? Not long ago, ended up getting both, after 20 or so hours of switching between the 2 the TRX has won me over. Both are great PP but the TRX just gives me more options like ratcheting and changing sensitivity on the fly.

The only thing I have had an issue with my pro pointer was a battery issue. I use Duracell batteries and the 9v Duracell is slightly shorter than other brands so my PP wouldn't stay on sometimes. I put a quarter in the battery lid and it solved the problem.

just go with the trx why even chance getting one of the many defective gpp that are out there, just do a quick search here and see how many threads on broken gpp there are. atleast ten in the last week or so.. ive had both and the trx and hands down better

I will NOT be replacing my broken Garrett Pro Pointer with another broken Garrett Pro Pointer. When I get some cash I'm going to try the Xpointer.

so have any of you had any problems to were you had to send your pro pointers in??? thanks

I dunked my ProPointer several times in a creek hunt and held it there to search with only electrical tape over the speaker and it is still going strong. Next creek hunt though I'm going to spray some plasti-dip on it.

I am shocked, What a great bunch of responses with no ugly undertones. Maybe this war is over and these two items can be discussed based on their actual value.

:D

Attachments

• trx.jpg
    trx.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 5,257
I actually use both. Both have conditions that give them an advantage over the other.

When hunting our city park where the targets are extremely deep the TRX works great. When hunting areas where I expect not to go so deep the Garrett PP is my choice. The TRX can be turned down but finding a target can be tricky especially once out and in the dirt. The detection from the side of the PP makes finding a target easier, it just doesn't go as deep. If I use the PP in our city park I often will have to cut a plug, check with the PP and get nothing and either keep removing dirt or stand up and make sure the target is still in the hole with my detector then bend down and remove more dirt. The TRX will almost always sound off on a target once you pull the plug but can be a chore to get right to the target.

Well the good thing is i have no allegience to either BRAND. So im just looking for a reliable good working pinpointer. At this time since ive only used a fisher brand pin pointer and have never used any other pin pointer brand name isnt a factor. A year ago hands down id be buying a garrett but since that last year now it seems im seeling lots of broken garretts and hearing horror stories of people getting there garretts replaced to only have the replacement do the samething or break down a month or so later.

I know that there is no way of knowing how well these TRX will last after using them a year or so in the dirt. But im willing to take the chance if it works right.

Im not sure if side detection on the shaft of the garrett is important or if the TRX using the tip is better. Have no clue.

One thing i hear about the TRX that im not sure on though is that it picks up your other metals you have around you alot more. So if im digging the hole and i have my detector a foot away or tool laying there its gonna pick that up to? Or am i misunderstanding this.

thanks for all your info

Back
Top Bottom