Major Decision Time... I need help!!! I DID IT!! Thanks All

Snake

I'm planning to purchase a White's E-Series unit in the near future and would appreciate the help of those of you with more recent experience than myself... M-6, MXT or DFX ????

I want versatility at a price that's comparable with features and quality... Don't want to spend more than necessary, but do want a unit to hunt coins, jewelry, artifacts and maybe a meteorite or two... Want a unit that will not die near water, but am not looking for a submersible one at this time...

All and any information that you guys can give me will be digested and used in my final decision...

Thanks in advance.... Snake... I WENT FOR THE DFX>>> :yes:

First off, I do not own any of the machines that you mention. I have heard mostly positive feedback on the MXT and DFX. The word seems to favor the MXT over the DFX, hope this helps.

As I have said in the past , if you want a cool detector that programs well and is versatile then the DFX is the one. The MXT is a great detector but is limited in its functionalilty and cannot be programmed. Just the fact that the DFX can be notched with up to 190 different notch discriminate settings makes it better than the MXT. Some have said they think it is hard to use but since I've used one for over 3 years now I couldn't disagree more. It is ver y easy to use and a lot of fun to program. Any more help , let me know.

I use a MXT and love it. I suppose technically the MXT is limited compared to the DFX, but it hasn't kept me from finding anything good :grin: I'm digging coins at 8" deep with a small coil without a problem. Eventually I'd like to get a DFX and if you can afford it, I'd say go for it. But if not, then either the MXT or M6 would be a good detector to own. If you're mainly going to coinshoot then I'd get the M6 over the MXT.

I too own an MXT and love it. I don't know a whole lot about the DFX but have only heard positive things from other owners. The MXT is a very capable machine but is a bit noisy. Like Okie said if you are looking for a coinshooting machine the M6 might be a better choice with the tone id and silent search. If I would have had the choice I would have bought a DFX.

Does the DFX have tone ID??? I'm in the middle of nowhere and have no way to look at or try one...

Buy them both and mail me the one you don't like! Personally I haven't logged much time with either of these machines but I can tell you that the notch feature on any detector is a nice feature.
To give you a example; A friend of mine lost his wedding ring in the park, it was white gold so I notched out everything but the gold range items. That way I wasn't wasting time digging up zinc pennies and the like. It just makes it easier to find a specific item. And from what I remember the DFX had some other decent features. But dollar for dollar the MTX will preform just fine, I guess it just boils down to weather or not you want to spend a couple of hundred dollars more for a few more bells and whistles.

MoDigger said:
Buy them both and mail me the one you don't like! Personally I haven't logged much time with either of these machines but I can tell you that the notch feature on any detector is a nice feature.
To give you a example; A friend of mine lost his wedding ring in the park, it was white gold so I notched out everything but the gold range items. That way I wasn't wasting time digging up zinc pennies and the like. It just makes it easier to find a specific item. And from what I remember the DFX had some other decent features. But dollar for dollar the MTX will preform just fine, I guess it just boils down to weather or not you want to spend a couple of hundred dollars more for a few more bells and whistles.

Thanks, MoDigger!!! this is the type info I appreciate... Bells and whistles are OK as long as they're useful, but price is a concern... I gotta live with my wife...

snake,

i recently (last week) became the proud owner of an mxt. my experience is limited, but i am not yet sorry for my choice. since i summer in alaska the prospecting mode made the difference in my decision.

as for coinshooting, i tried out the mxt in a town park that was a farm barnyard in the past and has recently been cluttered with shredded coke/beer cans. (it's easier to mow them than pick them up) right out of the box, no experience, no instructions, and no earphones... i came up with 11 cents, a dime and a penny.

next stop was a church yard. by now i had read the instructions. the place has been hunted to death. (the preacher has his own detector) i came away with 2 wheaties, a few clad coins, a set of keys lost by the preachers daughter last summer, and a whole stack of nickles. i gotta say, when it said it was a nickle, it was a nickle, not a pull tab. if it was a pull tab it said it was a pull tab.

i do have one comment, neither good nor bad. this area has a multitude of those old canning jar lids....the zinc ones with the glass top inside. well, the mxt said it was a zinc penny at one inch. on four occasions it was a canning jar lid at a little over a foot. considering what could be under the lid i dont mind digging them. there may be information on the display that would tell me the difference, but i havn't yet learned to use all it can tell me.

if the mxt is as good at finding gold as it is for coins i may be able to tell you something about the dfx next year.

Back
Top Bottom