Need help on this one, it blows the mind!

Firewhiz

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g216/Firewhiz911/3140redced.jpg

This little nugget of whatever took me about an hour to track down. The weird thing about it is this. I have an MXT but have only been using it for a few days. In all modes, disc set to lowest, gain set to highest and then all over the place, this object makes the hum go away, from even 2 feet from the coil. I put it over a piece of concrete with rebar and it shielded the hum from the rebar too, okay I know i'm a newbie, but what is this stuff? I have some limited metallurgical knowledge, BUT this one baffles me. It responds to a magnet, but actually repels my detector. It has smooth surfaces that resemble quartz, but they have a burned look to them, almost melted there. How I came about it? Within 20 yards of the barracks of Nike missle site M-86, no joke, will take pics of the building and the missle storage entryways. I have just never seen a field nullified by another object before. some pieces broke off, they respond the same way, only on a smaller scale. There is one edge, on the right side of the object in the pic that is a perfect 45 degree angle. A protrusion that is about 1/4 " deep resembling a corner is there. On one side, the quartz type stuff. On the other, scratches resembling either small scale fossils or scratches from a pick or something, they are mixed lengths and cover that side. I will take better pics...... Reason I state that it looks like there is a corner, it almost looks like it was cut or manmade. HELP!!!!!!! I'll wait for advice before doing anything with it. As long as it doesn't glow in the dark i'm cool with it. Any help appreciated, mucho mucho.

Brian Sutter

it looks porous... this may sound stupid, but does it float?

if I come up with the right info your down by millwaukee, I'm in wisconsin too and when we were kids I remember we used to find rocks that looked just like that all over by the railroad tracks and they actually floated in water, we used to throw them in the creek and watch them float down

there was a big iron mine in operation for years in town here and the railroad was a major part of it, I always thought they were some kind of slag or something from the iron mine but I was never really sure, nor did I ever know if they had any metal or iron content, and I havent seen any for years

I had forgotten all about that actually, this post made me remember it and I did a quick search and came up with this... http://www.childrensmuseum.org/geomysteries/floatingrock/a1.html

I have no idea what you have there, there were glaciers in wisconsin(if your even in wisconsin) maybe its some kind of a volcanic iron alloy, or just some slag, maybe its a meteorite...

I'm very curious to find out what it is...

Part of a spent fuel rod from a nuclear reactor...... :shock:

Just kidding :P

I have no idea...

HH
PocketChange

Well, the thing does not float. The only other thing that I can come up with is that it's something metal that got struck by lightning, and had sand around it. That doesn't explain the crystalline structures on it. So in other words, i'm stumped. My old man is pretty good at this sort of thing, I might send him a pic or two to see if he can shed some light.

One other possibility is that that entire clump was at one time a looooong time ago the contents of a animals stomach. A carnivore to be exact, given it's relative response to a magnet, and the diversified mineral content from what I can see. Oh well, back to the drawing board.

Bri-

Did some digging online and this one is 98 percent sure a meteorite. Went through all the id factors, broke off a sample and sent it into usgs. Just waiting on results.

HH as always,

Bri-

Back
Top Bottom