Strange coin

simonthesearcher

Forum Supporter
Found this today,looks like it could be hammered,i have no idea what it is.The word Wilton is clear on it,now Wilton is a small town about 5 miles from where i found this,i dont know if this has anything to do with it.

Attachments

• wilton coin.jpg
    wilton coin.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 272
  • wilton coin obverse.jpg
    wilton coin obverse.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 271
Beautiful coin Simon! Can't help with an ID but wanted to give you a pat on the back...

Congratulations! Hank :grin:

Thanks for the pat on the back xlt .Apparently its a half penny token from the 1700,s but im waiting for a more precise date,as soon as i get it i will let you know

wow it looks older than the 1700's simon , i like it . there is just so much history where your at i'm envious :yes: hey simon are hammered coins exclusively made from silver or do you find them from other metals.

Nice trade token. For the U.S. readers we had a few periods in history when the goverment was a little lax in producing small coinage which is essential in giving change.
This led pubs, shops etc into producing their own 'coins'. These are now highly collectable....I prefer them to coins as coins were issued in bulk while the tokens had very limited issues.
Hammered coins come in a variety of metals, next time I get my coins out of the bank for a display I'll post pictures of a few gold ones. They tend to be large and stunningly beautiful.

Going back to what coins are made of there's an interesting web site that lists all the metals used and why some were only used for one or two issues.

http://www.tclayton.demon.co.uk/metal.html

Back
Top Bottom