1st Hunt with Tesoro Sand Shark

The_Usurper

I spent some time in SC this week... I had a lot going on, so it was difficult to get out and hunt as much as I would have liked to, and the weather was less than optimal, but I did manage to get out and do some buzzing.

I went on two short hunts... The first I spent in the surf, and the second hunt was a night hunt which was a lot of fun. I was really starting to get the hang of this detector on the second hunt. I learned to just slow down and work the grid... I was amazed at the number of targets below the sand.

My first impression of the Sand Shark is a good one. I was really surprised at the depths it was finding targets at. I played around with normal and VCO mode... I think I'm leaning toward VCO mode and my defacto mode of usage.

I noticed a couple of times in the surf the detector barked out an awesome signal, which then disappeared. It was like something freaked it out. Not a big deal.

Below is my collection of Bobby Pins. LOL. :wow: I'm thinking about opening up a second hand Bobby Pin shop.

All in all I am happy with this detector so far. I can't wait to get out to the beach for another hunt!

PS - Is there anything you can do with the Sand Shark to ID the Bobby Pins before you dig them?

Attachments

• IMG_2700.jpg
    IMG_2700.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 620
  • IMG_2703.jpg
    IMG_2703.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 437
Bobby pins almost always give you a double beep. I dont dig double beeps any more. Also put some magnets in the bottom of your scoop so you dint have to chase then around when they slide through.

When you get a target listen for the double beep. Depending on how your coil passes over the bobby pin you may have to circle the target to hear it. The double beep is caused by one side of the coil sounding and then the other side on a narrow target like a tent peg, bobby pin or any narrow target. Most guys do not dig double beeps but you can miss a hoop earring or two. My experience was not many double beeps were anything worth digging. Actually, I never found silver or gold with a double beep so I stopped digging them. If you have not already, install some magnets in your scoop. Your PI will pick up all kinds of iron that falls through the holes.

yep agreed, double beep generally means bobby pin or summin' similar.
I ignore those.
Like mentioned earlier, get 3 or 4 small magnets in the scoop.

If you are digging light trash deep the gold and heavier stuff is even deeper...

SC beaches are pretty clean... After hunting in VA, I think I like SC better... But yeah, I think I am going to have to go in the drink to find the good stuff. The tide has a long reach here.

I had a SS and got rid of it cause didn't suit me for conditions I hunt,,,,I liked VCO mode,,,some prefer normal but I think VCO just grabs at the target a whole lot better,,,bobby pins, yes, as was said double beep,,,,BUT,,,when you get a double beep,,,sweep in the shape of a cross,,,if it double beeps on both directions,,,,dig that sucker,,,it may be a chain,,,,if not,,,pass it up, its a bobby pin,,,GL HH

I hunted Myrtle Beach ,beaches couple days this week..in addition to the piles of bottle caps and pull tabs..did find this.. (using -Fisher F4)

All in the dry sand.

Sent from my Samsung Note 2 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1365303911136.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1365303911136.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 380
i've dug up one bobby pin. it gave me a faint and constant beep - and it was the deepest target i've located with the SS.

I'm definitely liking the Sand Shark, and I am sure that knowing what the double beep means will come in handy. :)

The discrimination on my other detector (Ace 350) has spoiled me a bit in the dry sand. But the Ace is virtually useless in wet sand. The wet sand and in the water is where the Sand Shark will steal the show. I am so stoked to finally have a water machine!!

Back
Top Bottom