Which one?

forgetaboudit

I picked up a Bounty Hunter Jr for 5 bucks, but Id like to get a better one even before I start hunting. I scoured craigslist and found:
Garrett gta500 for $150obo
Garrett 250 for $195
Or I could wait a few days and go down to the metal detecting shop and see what they are all about... I don't know hardly anything about these or detecting in general. My price range is about $300 or so for everything I need (Detector, maybe a pinpointer, a trowel, and a case/bag for the detector).

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Myself, like many others, went with the Fisher F2. There’s a terribly big long thread about it here started by respected member DIGGER27, and it alone convinced me it was a great machine.

Terribly big long thread here

After I got mine and used it a while, I wrote my own glowing review for Yahoo. Although the Fisher F2 is considered a beginner detector, it can *definitely* find the good stuff. DIGGER27 has a whole slew of gold rings nabbed by his F2, and I found a 1944 Walking Liberty half dollar at a ball park.

My glowing review on Yahoo here

If you have more money than about $200 to spend on a metal detector, I’d check into the Fisher F5 or the AT Pro by Garrett--both are doing well out there. If a screen/numbers/bells and whistles aren’t important to you, check out the Tesoro line. The Vaquero is very popular, lightweight, and DEEP. Real deep. Too deep, some say. :D

A great review site for the Tesoro Vaquero here:

A great Tesoro Vaquero review site

Welcome to the forum! :)

The ACE250 was great starter for me. As stated above, the F2 seems to be a great one, as well. No matter what you pick, there is a wealth of knowledge here to help you along the path.

Myself, like many others, went with the Fisher F2. There’s a terribly big long thread about it here started by respected member DIGGER27, and it alone convinced me it was a great machine.

Terribly big long thread here

After I got mine and used it a while, I wrote my own glowing review for Yahoo. Although the Fisher F2 is considered a beginner detector, it can *definitely* find the good stuff. DIGGER27 has a whole slew of gold rings nabbed by his F2, and I found a 1944 Walking Liberty half dollar at a ball park.

My glowing review on Yahoo here

If you have more money than about $200 to spend on a metal detector, I’d check into the Fisher F5 or the AT Pro by Garrett--both are doing well out there. If a screen/numbers/bells and whistles aren’t important to you, check out the Tesoro line. The Vaquero is very popular, lightweight, and DEEP. Real deep. Too deep, some say. :D

A great review site for the Tesoro Vaquero here:

A great Tesoro Vaquero review site

Welcome to the forum! :)

I think you sold me on the F2! Does this sound like a sweet deal? If so, I'll jump on it right away cause thats everything I need (and then some) right at my price range.

Go to the shop and get some educations and a feel for them. The come back a read the forums and sponsors web sites (articles and such) You will start to form an opinion of what options you think you would like/need. You will get a list of detectors in this thread.. whatever the person owns.. They are all good, you have to learn it and be comfortable with it.. the one you have will even find things!

Unless your rich, which I take it your not. A digger and a bag to carry the detector in, is NOT that big of a deal. I have several MD's. I use to break one down and carried it in my backpack for yrs. You can buy all sorts of bags at your local thrift store. Even an old Tent bag which is usually long enough, will work for the time being. You can also pad it how you want. Ace has some relatively inexpensive small long handled shovels too, which are several inches wide. A pin Pointer is needed, but not an absolute necessity for metal detecting, least not when you new. Don't get talked into anything here and listen to the guys that have detected for quite sometime. Maybe someone on this forum has decided to sell an older MD which would be perfect for you. Good luck!

I'm a new F2 owner and really enjoy this machine. I have a Tesoro Tejon also, but it's way too complicated for me (I'm techno-lazy) and the F2 is extremely easy to use, it just takes time to figure it out.

It wouldn't hurt for you to go check a few different detectors at a store, get a feel for what works best for you. Some have displays (like the F2) and some don't (like the Tejon) and there's everything in between.

My husband has an Ace 250 and really likes it, I'm not crazy about the thing and can't figure out why. It's like buying shoes, you want to spend your money on a good fit the first time out, so take a little time to compare the different machines if you can.

That's similar to the package deal I got, mine did not have the extra bottom pole for your 2nd coil, the fancy headphones, (mine came with smaller headphones with a straight cord), the small accessory bag, or the recharge station, it did have everything else and ran me about $215.

Just so you know, that pinpointer is decent but if you're like me, you'll eventually want to go with a more sensitive one like a Garret propointer, and the plastic digger that comes with the set is of no use to me, (but might make a good catfood scoop).

I just use a cheapo metal digger I've had for years and cost me about $5 if that.

I use a fanny pack instead of the little aprons they put in the package deals since I tend to drop stuff when I lean over and with my pack I can zip the pockets closed and carry my pinpointer on the belt.

Looks like a decent package overall.

not telling you what to buy but around $200.00 i got my F2 with 8 in & 4 in coils,a good digger and pin pointer. If you go read up on these cheap pp you can super-tune them fairly easy. It does help & they are better than no PP. Then find enough & get a Garrett PP. You won't be sorry!

Euro Tek Pro

Ok guys, no beef here, I give you guys a run with your F2 , the Euro Tek PRO has some features that the F2 doesn't ,even the F75se doesn't have a iron volume adjustment, Iron icon, large vdi number screen, gives you the ability to here the iron at a low tone, when adjusting above 10, on the 3 tone system, really nice when you hunt iron infested sites, also Mid grade depth with a low end cost, you can get the Euro Tek Pro with the 11dd for 299.00 , now go get your F2 , both made from 1st Texas :shock::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

Ok guys, no beef here, I give you guys a run with your F2 , the Euro Tek PRO has some features that the F2 doesn't ,even the F75se doesn't have a iron volume adjustment, Iron icon, large vdi number screen, gives you the ability to here the iron at a low tone, when adjusting above 10, on the 3 tone system, really nice when you hunt iron infested sites, also Mid grade depth with a low end cost, you can get the Euro Tek Pro with the 11dd for 299.00 , now go get your F2 , both made from 1st Texas :shock::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

^ Not sure what all that hilarity is about, but...

I suppose that's all fine if that's what you like, to each his own. I didn't want a lot of bells and whistles, or a bunch of stuff that has to be adjusted, just a simple to operate, reliable machine, so the F2 is working great for me.

Bbs gal

Sorry I was relaying this message to the person that made the thread, it is a touch and go machine, What is the reasoning behind your post? I am a 38 year land hunting VET, I bought one , and have high end machine's , just sit back, learn, scratch your head howboutit :roll::no: Do you have a clue , at what I was tiring to get across on my post ?

Sorry I was relaying this message to the person that made the thread, it is a touch and go machine, What is the reasoning behind your post? I am a 38 year land hunting VET, I bought one , and have high end machine's , just sit back, learn, scratch your head howboutit :roll::no: Do you have a clue , at what I was tiring to get across on my post ?

Well, let's see, I think you pretty much said you like your machine for the extra options it has, and that it's much better in your opinion than the F2. Other than that, I simply said the F2 is working fine for me as I wasn't looking for the other options, just didn't get what was so funny, so maybe I am clueless... bad me! :p

Now now guys... Settle, settle. :lol: I'll probably go with the F2 if the girlfriend doesnt get too fussy over me spending 300. Main reason I'll pick that one up as it all comes in a nice complete package with pinpointer, 3 coils, etc...

I think as long as you are swinging and finding things its all good :yes:. I don't use any of the above, but doesn't mean anything. Like it was said earlier, detectors are like shoes, find the best fit for you and you will love it. later on you may want to try something else or get into all the bells and whistles but that will happen as you gain experience and personal preference. I say check them out, talk to as many people as you can before you just cant stand it anymore then get what you like and have fun.
Happy Hunting

Back
Top Bottom