Can some help with identifying this token/coin?

Scolino

Found today! Looking for information regarding the year of this coin/token. Can someone translate both sides of the coin to English? Also if this is not currency, what was the purpose for having these? How does this coin/token relate to the Circular Mound Altar, located in TEMPLE, BEIJING, CHINA, built in 1530 and rebuilt in 1749?

Attachments

• Front_Token.jpg
    Front_Token.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 289
  • Back_Token.jpg
    Back_Token.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 288
Found today! Looking for information regarding the year of this coin/token. Can someone translate both sides of the coin to English? Also if this is not currency, what was the purpose for having these? How does this coin/token relate to the Circular Mound Altar, located in TEMPLE, BEIJING, CHINA, built in 1530 and rebuilt in 1749?

There's a community on Reddit were you can post requests to translate things like this into English. You have to sign up for Reddit, though.

https://www.reddit.com/r/translator/

Not much help, but it does look like the Temple of Heaven before it was rebuilt. Also interesting that it says "Alter" instead of "Altar". Cool find.

Very cool find, Scolino! I’m afraid I can’t give any specific help, just my opinion: it looks like it’s probably some sort of souvenir token, just based on the word “altar” being misspelled with a homophone, “alter”. Official coinage would likely have been more carefully researched and contained proper spelling - and I would imagine English would only be used on a souvenir, not anything officially issued by China.

I must say, this has to be the first token I have ever seen with a spelling error!!!
Some idiot minted hundreds or thousands of these without spelling altar correctly. Unbelievable:police:

Back
Top Bottom