Maiden Voyage on New Machine

AirmetTango

Forum Supporter
The weather got above freezing today, so I took my new Equinox out for it's first hunt. I just took it to a nearby park that I've hunted many times and spent a little under two hours learning the new settings, tones, and numbers - coming from exclusively Garrett machines, everything is new. I won't go into an in-depth review - plenty of other folks with more experience than me have already done a fine job with that. But suffice to say, I'm quite pleased with the machine so far - I'm particularly enjoying the freedom to customize the tones/volumes/etc in virtually endless ways. Effortless to swing, and the audio is a joy to listen to.

Anyway, since I was learning the machine, I spent quite a bit of time digging - in a lot of cases, I was digging signals that I knew were likely to be junk. Still, I did get genuinely fooled by a couple of old screw caps and a rusted bottle cap that I thought for sure were going to be coins. No earth shattering finds on this quick run in a well-hunted, junk infested park, but I did find a modern $1 coin, which was a first for me, in addition to a few pennies.

The weather is warming up for the next few days, so I'm hoping I can get a few more hunts in before wrapping up for the year!

Attachments

• 851F73DE-F517-4607-B9A4-98DDBF0EB8BE.jpg
    851F73DE-F517-4607-B9A4-98DDBF0EB8BE.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 308
  • 9DDD4798-A28B-42C4-B2C6-5EBC9399E8BB.jpg
    9DDD4798-A28B-42C4-B2C6-5EBC9399E8BB.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 292
That dollar coin cleaned up very nice. It is a presidential dollar he was born in Delaware Ohio and passed away in Fremont Ohio. His family home is in Fremont and is a museum and there is a Presidential Library they're also. Very nice place to visit I have been there a couple of times.

I get the "freezing" part. We've tried to go out a couple of times for short hunts but it just isn't as fun. Nice dollar find. I've found one of those myself!

Great way to break in a new machine. Hope you find a bunch of large coins with it. Congrats on the dollar coin. I found my first last week with my 800. Thought it was a LC but after a wipe I saw it was a presidential dollar coin. James Garfield. Another president from Ohio. Huh ? Although a history buff I didn't know too much about him and coincidentally I came across a movie on A- Prime called Death of a President. Good story and come to find he would have been a great president had he lived. Yes, dollar coins are definitely a cool find. Good luck and HH Mark

Congrats on the new ride. Take your time learning it as it has some very nice assets with its use. Good luck in your future adventures. Trapper

Nice start! Good luck if you do get out these next couple days!

Thanks cellr! I did get out a little more - found a nice relic and a little clad. A lot to get used to with this machine coming from Garrett's. Everything is different - tones, numbers, even some of the techniques that I used to help determine size and depth don't seem to work quite the same way. My winter is going to be full of "in-home" experimenting with the machine!

That dollar coin cleaned up very nice. It is a presidential dollar he was born in Delaware Ohio and passed away in Fremont Ohio. His family home is in Fremont and is a museum and there is a Presidential Library they're also. Very nice place to visit I have been there a couple of times.

Thanks Dan! I was glad to see you stop to bring that good luck it almost never fails when I'm out there :lol:

I get the "freezing" part. We've tried to go out a couple of times for short hunts but it just isn't as fun. Nice dollar find. I've found one of those myself!

Thanks, V! It was a fun find! I'm learning that I'm turning into a cold weather wimp! In my previous career, I spent many 10-12 hour days outside through the winter for work. Never thought much of it then, except it was exhausting! I never slept harder than after those days - it's amazing how hard your body works just in an effort to keep itself warm. It wasn't strenuous work, but I would come home wiped out just from the expended energy to create body heat!! Anyways, I can't spend that kind of time out in the cold anymore - a couple hours is my limit :lol:

Nice! I have never found a $1 coin out in the wild yet. Just on seeded club hunts. Congrats!

Thanks Waveoff! It was a nice surprise. Hayes' face was the first thing I saw coming out of the dirt, so it confused me at first - thought I had some sort of token. Heck, it's the first presidential dollar I've seen in the wild period...not even in circulation. I forgot the presidential variety was even minted - I always still see the Susan B or Sacagawea dollars :lol:

I found my first presidential dollar not too long ago.. It is a pretty cool coin and was happy it was the first.. George Washington.

It is a pretty unique coin! I was baffled at first when I cleaned it and couldn't find a date. Looked on line and learned that "E Pluribus Unum", the date, and mint mark are all inscribed on the edge! This one's a 2011 P.

Great way to break in a new machine. Hope you find a bunch of large coins with it. Congrats on the dollar coin. I found my first last week with my 800. Thought it was a LC but after a wipe I saw it was a presidential dollar coin. James Garfield. Another president from Ohio. Huh ? Although a history buff I didn't know too much about him and coincidentally I came across a movie on A- Prime called Death of a President. Good story and come to find he would have been a great president had he lived. Yes, dollar coins are definitely a cool find. Good luck and HH Mark

Thanks Mark! Yeah, I thought it was something else at first too - maybe a token since I could see the bust of an "old dead guy" :lol: Funny, I thought it was Garfield at first too, because it looked a lot like the bust from a Garfield token I had found earlier this year (see pic below). Kind of ironic to find anything related to Garfield with a metal detector, since one of the first ones was used in an attempt to save his life after he was shot by the assassin! The device was designed and used by Alexander Graham Bell, but it was unsuccessful in finding the bullet partly because of the metal bed springs in his bed, and partly because they were looking on the wrong side.

Congrats on the new ride. Take your time learning it as it has some very nice assets with its use. Good luck in your future adventures. Trapper

Thanks Trapper! It's been a fun experience learning the machine - a long way to go still!

Attachments

• 8B2ACD0F-C7EA-40CE-9B08-A58F9E6AA2CA.jpg
    8B2ACD0F-C7EA-40CE-9B08-A58F9E6AA2CA.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 134
I love finding those dollar coins...much better than digging 4 quarters or 10 dimes...or ....you know the rest!:laughing:

Congrats on the new Nox (mine arrives 12/11!)

Congrats on your first presidential dollar coin. I find those in tot-lots most often.

Your Garfield token is cool - I found a Andrew Johnson one just like that except mine is all greened over.

Nice hunting!

Back
Top Bottom