campground coins

Bounder

I really had a good day coinwise today. I went to the forest preserve campground today, a place I have hunted quite a lot this summer. I couldn't go where I wanted because the preserve guys were mowing in there. I went to another spot where I have found many coins in the past. When I got there I saw the picnic tables had all been moved from parallel rows to form a 3-sided square. This left the center open where I couldn't check before because the tables are metal framed. I went in and started getting good hits right off. I dug up a quarter then checked again and got all sorts of different tones. I feared it would be buried trash but my first dig brought up a nickel. I kept checking and digging and finally ran out with a total of 22 coins all within a very small radius. ^ of them were nickels, very unusual for me to find. I suspect I had discovered a spot where they might have been playing cards and these coins filtered down through the picnic table. This was a lot of coins for me to find.

Attachments

• 1003181600.jpg
    1003181600.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 509
really acidic soil hope their worth some value, they look old and beaten strange the grounds in some places where metal detectorist dig old copper coins and silver and are in prestine conditon but then there is always that earth that rots other coins fast. here in fountain valley mile square park I dug some old coins of mid 20th century and they has pits in the copper pennies and quarters like the gardens were laced with some sort of acidic plant grass food or something...:?:

coin haul

This was the first time in a week that I have really been able to swing the coil. Last Thursday, I got the second and final pneumonia shot and it is really taking a long time get over the soreness. It broke a drought. A week or so ago I reached a goal of 300 coins. I never really expected to get much more than that but I have already reaches 370 with todays haul. I ordered a new detector today which I hope will be a step up.

This was the first time in a week that I have really been able to swing the coil. Last Thursday, I got the second and final pneumonia shot and it is really taking a long time get over the soreness. It broke a drought. A week or so ago I reached a goal of 300 coins. I never really expected to get much more than that but I have already reaches 370 with todays haul. I ordered a new detector today which I hope will be a step up.

congats on the finds!!!

camp coins

I went back to the same spot and picked up 28 coins. 21 pennies, 6 dimes, and 1 quarter. Then yesterday I went out with my new garrett ace250 and found a dime and a penny before the no seeums and biting beetles discouraged any further efforts. This makes a new milestone of 400 coins this year. Problem with the campground is that was established only a few decades ago and everything is relatively new. I have over 300 pennies, only 14 are wheats, 20 nickels-no buffaloes, 12 half dollars-all but 1 from the 70's, over 90 dimes,all Roosevelts (I see a trend here). I need to find older places to detect.

Nice work Bounder, and the Ace 250 should keep you digging the goods. I've dug some decent clad, with a couple good coin spills in campgrounds too. One was more than eight bucks in change, but it was in a fire pit, and mostly melted/damaged. Poker change I suspect.

Great updates Bounder .
You may want to check out the (viewer) tab on the historic Aerials web site.😎
May be an old home site or other activity location within that campground on the older maps . One of my favorite reasearch tools.
Keep us posted . Congradulations on the impressive coin count.
,Dew

Back
Top Bottom